Subject: WH40K Kickstarter Project Just Launched rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Matthews
United States
California
flag msg tools
Here is the link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/769058356/warhammer-40k-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect this will be crushed by GW in a matter of weeks if not hours (and probably rightly so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are a Warhammer 40K fan, you obviously noticed that I did not copy the exact logos used in the game. There is a good reason for this. Namely, because I can't use any copyrighted images of Games Workshop.

It's a shame about those trademarks, though.

EDIT: I just noticed this.

Quote:
The other names such Dark Angels are not trademarked and due to their common nature would not even be allowed as trademarks.

Except where they are trademarked.

When will people learn not to poke sticks at the litigous bear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he'd just said 'futuristic challenge coins' he probably wouldn't be the target of Games Workshop's War Hammer.

Definitely one to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So who's got the Over/Under on when this KS is gone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
If he'd just said 'futuristic challenge coins' he probably wouldn't be the target of Games Workshop's War Hammer.

Definitely one to watch.

He was so sure of everything, and then names it warhammer. tsk tsk. i'm sure novelty items have been listed under the trademark; maybe not coins, but these are not really coins in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Definitely one to watch.

And removed Adeptus Astartes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Release the hounds!

From the risks and challenges:
Quote:
Producing the coins is not an issue. I have done this many times before.

Even though I am familiar with copyright and trademark law and I am on firm legal ground, my only concern is that Games Workshop tries to cause an issue. Hopefully, they realize that I have done my research and I only want to enhance the Warhammer 40K experience and that I respect their company. A successful project can encourage more people to get involved in Warhammer. This is good for everyone. However, not a single copyright image or trademarked name was used on any of the coins. Basically, there should not be any issue.

He knows the danger, but underestimates GW. If this gets to them, that cease and desist message will be teleported with a group of Blood Angels to his doorstep.

I agree that if he avoided any ties to anything GW and called it something like "Wargames challenge coins" this would have definately been successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
Release the hounds!

From the risks and challenges:
Quote:
Producing the coins is not an issue. I have done this many times before.

Even though I am familiar with copyright and trademark law and I am on firm legal ground, my only concern is that Games Workshop tries to cause an issue. Hopefully, they realize that I have done my research and I only want to enhance the Warhammer 40K experience and that I respect their company. A successful project can encourage more people to get involved in Warhammer. This is good for everyone. However, not a single copyright image or trademarked name was used on any of the coins. Basically, there should not be any issue.

He knows the danger, but underestimates GW. If this gets to them, that cease and desist message will be teleported with a group of Blood Angels to his doorstep.

I agree that if he avoided any ties to anything GW and called it something like "Wargames challenge coins" this would have definately been successful.

But it wouldn't have made as much money or gotten as much attention, which would probably be the basis for GW's claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
But it wouldn't have made as much money or gotten as much attention, which would probably be the basis for GW's claim.

Very good point. Damned if you do...damned if you don't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I give it until tomorrow before it vanishes.

There are ways to do this kind of thing and he hasn't done all of them. I'm not actually sure what anyone would use them for anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
EitherOrlok wrote:
When will people learn not to poke sticks at the litigous bear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
I'm not actually sure what anyone would use them for anyway.

They are supposted to say "I am going to fight you so give me a beer", without saying it. Its a fun idea...but the drawback is you have to know if the other person has one, or has ever heard of them.

In a group of freinds at a party, it could be a lot of fun as the big "Oooo, Johnny just challeneged Sam!" type of thing.

In a tournament, keep it in your pocket or face embarassment.

I am sure they could be used as markers someway in the game. Forgive me but my 40k battle is rusty. Its been, umm...15+ years. Depending on the size, maybe hey can be used to signify special troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my only concern is that Games Workshop tries to cause an issue. Hopefully, they realize that I have done my research and I only want to enhance the Warhammer 40K experience

Guess what? They DO NOT CARE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.