United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread someone mentioned "jumping over a Grizzly," which reminded me of this question I had earlier about that expansion card.

The regular Bear card indicates that you give a Fatigue to all salmon in the hex the bear lands in. My understanding is that this isn't really an action the card causes directly, but just a reminder of what the bear does when he's in the same hex as a salmon. Players get a Fatigue card whenever they end up in the same hex as the bear for any reason (movement of the bear, Swim cards, or the current).

So now suppose that the Grizzly is in play. Players may of course have a mix of both kinds of bear cards being used. When the Grizzly card is played and the bear moves, the affected players need to discard. Does the bear become a Grizzly just for the duration of that card play? I assume so, because there's no way to track the "state" of the bear otherwise. Therefore, there's no such thing as "jumping over a Grizzly."

Being in the same hex as a bear always results in the player gaining a fatigue from the bear, unless (1) the player is in the midst of jumping over a waterfall, or (2) the bear was being moved using a Grizzly card.

Any objections to that summary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That might have been me, hadn't thought it through. blush

I would think you are right, and the bear token ordinarily represents just a black bear, it only acts as a grizzly while being activated by a grizzly card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your summary is correct. The bear token functions to add fatigue to salmon on the same hex Except when a Grizzly card is played. The Grizzly card temporarily changes the function of the bear token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Tepfer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
This brings up another question.

If a player is on a hex with a bear token (already felt the effects - whether discarding cards or adding fatigue) and the next round they are unable to move off the hex, do they feel the same effects? EG, they gain another fatigue?

I'm assuming the bear was a grizzly only the first time and after that they are a normal fatigue bear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.