Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just traded for Battle Beyond Space. Can anyone tell me how these two short tactical space battle games compare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Borders is not tactical, it's operational/strategic - you fight over star systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Another significant difference: SB:H is 2-player, while BBS is apparently strictly 3-4 player (I've not played BBS; I'm just looking at its info).

SB:H has unit stats/info printed on the counters while BBS seems to be purely miniatures. Personally I like having the info right there on the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, by operational is this game more like a simplied shorter 2 player Cosmic Encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
So, by operational is this game more like a simplied shorter 2 player Cosmic Encounters?

I would say that Cosmic Encounter is more wacky/Ameritrash which doesn't really purport to simulate a space war; SB:H is a bit more of a light wargame which at least loosely gives a feel of a space war. I.e. you're making decisions about moving different types of ships with various attack/defense/movement ratings with special abilities like repair/flagship/planetary assault around on a map, instead of being directed to move generic tokens to a random system.

PS: Why not simply download the rules from VPG's website and have a look? You'll get a quick feel for what it's like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will not bother to download the rules first because I think I am sold! Looks like a Must Have! I'm still tyring to decide whether Cosmic Encounters is worth the price though, but that's for a different thread in a differnet place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Another significant difference: SB:H is 2-player, while BBS is apparently strictly 3-4 player...

Just a side note, SB:H is 2-player, with two "human" factions. The next expansion (SB: Aliens) is a stand-alone game that is fully compatible with SB:H; it will introduce two new non-human factions, but the scenarios will all still be strictly 2-player.

The 3rd expansion (SB: Us-vs-Them) is not stand-alone (i.e. you'll need to own the two earlier games); it will include multiplayer (3- and 4-player) scenarios and introduce official rules that can be used to create your own home-grown multiplayer scenarios.

There are additional expansions planned for the series beyond SB:A & SB:UvT. These will introduce additional factions to the series (all of which will be fully compatible with the preceding games) and will allow for games with up to six (possibly more?) players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent point! So, do I start with the Aliens expansion? Or Humanity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Excellent point! So, do I start with the Aliens expansion? Or Humanity?

Since they are both stand alone, either would be fine. The only arguments I can give would be that you can get and play Humanity now rather than wait, and that since the games use a map system where they can be set up in a lot of different configurations, then having Humanity will give you access to more maps for more and bigger scenarios once Aliens comes out. Also you'll have more counters, and possibly the cards will also be usable in Aliens as well.

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.