25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for boardgame for beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Smon Mrko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Hello i am looking for boardgame but i am begginer in this.
I look at Mage Knight and Civilization and i think i want game like these but i dont know alternatives to this game. I hope you will help me and recommend a good boardgame.

Thank for reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is no where near a "beginner game". As much as I love it I would not recommend starting with it. Are you looking for solo games or with a group? What kind of theme attracts you? I would take a look at a few of these geek lists and let us know what catches your eye:

Euro games with visual appeal

Thematic games with top notch components

Solo/Co-Op games that look as awesome as they are to play

Here are a few must have games imho:

Ghost Stories
Elder Sign
Lords of Waterdeep
King of Tokyo
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smon Mrko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I am looking for group game but solo is plus. And i dont know do you mean about theme. Do you mean game character like rpg, strategy or theme like dragons, space, star wars and etc. ? (sorry for my english )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look at Small World, which is a great beginner game that does a lot of the stuff you seem to like

Theme means stuff like Merchants trading in the middle ages, fighting dragons, space science fiction, trying to survive on a deserted island.....

Some boardgames just have a theme that has nothing to do with the gameplay, some games are all about the theme (and the gameplay suffers), and most have some mixture of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:
I am looking for group game but solo is plus. And i dont know do you mean about theme. Do you mean game character like rpg, strategy or theme like dragons, space, star wars and etc. ? (sorry for my english )

Exactly, like what settings or things interest you like: sci-fi, fantasy, rpg's etc.

Also Small World is another great suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smon Mrko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I dont like Small World art style. I want game with map, figures and cards, maybe cubes. And why Mage Knight isnt game for beginners? And i like strategy and RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight comes with 2 rulebooks that are not easy to read or reference. To play a solitaire game, you have to flip around to about 3 different places in two rulebooks.

Mage Knight comes with a ton of cards and counters that all do different things. It comes with a modular hex board that has to be laid and explored in certain ways. To simply move from one hex to another takes some intense card-play. There are a lot of things you encounter (enemies, dungeons, etc) and how they react are all different from each other. Some of them even act differently in the day or night.

What about Kemet

or Cyclades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it about those games that you find appealing? The theme? The length? The gameplay? (EDIT: I wrote that before seeing that the OP wrote a couple replies).

Some have said that Fantastiqa is like Mage Knight Board Game-lite-lite-lite. Both have deck management as part of an adventure game where you move around completing quests.

As for Civ, Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is an example of a light game with the theme of building up a civilization, inventing technologies and building monuments. It's short and light, and easy to learn and teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:
I dont like Small World art style. I want game with map, figures and cards, maybe cubes. And why Mage Knight isnt game for beginners? And i like strategy and RPG.

Maybe take a look at Nexus Ops. Or if you're a Risk fan, Risk Legacy would serve as a great beginner game. It slowly ramps up in complexity as new rules are introduced and the game is (often physically) modified. It is, in my opinion, much better than classic Risk and tends to be a huge hit with new gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cyclades and Kemet. Both are very good games with lots of strategy and beautiful components. Either one would serve as a good introductory board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smon Mrko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I want game where every round is unique, where is not the same scenario every round. Game whose have graphic style like Mage Knight. And the lenght isnt important i have a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smon Mrko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
hmm Nexus Ops and Clash of Cultures look good. What from these is better? I like the map who is every round other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:
I want game where every round is unique, where is not the same scenario every round. Game whose have graphic style like Mage Knight. And the lenght isnt important i have a lot of time.

Well Mage Knight is epic and honestly everything you are after. There are some great play though videos which will walk you through the game turn by turn so once you actually sit down with it you won't be so overwhelmed.

The game is not hard per say but like mentioned there are a lot of things to reference. Thankfully there are some great player aids on this site that will help as well. Once you play a few times you will get the hang of it and only have to reference a few things here and there.

I just got the game and it took me about 3 days and 3 or 4 plays to get a good understanding of the game but it was worth the time and if you are not worried I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want Mage Knight and/or Civilization, just get them! Yes, they will take longer to learn, and there will be more of an investment of effort before you can really "play" the game. But as long as you enjoy that part of the "new game" process, it's all good! (Some people, experienced and beginner alike, want to understand the rules very quickly or have them explained by others or have a 1 page quick reference sheet, and a long learning process would be "no fun" for them). Either personality type is fine, and being a beginner at board games doesn't necessarily equate to "have to play instantly".

You've gotten some terrific suggestions already. If you are really liking the modular board aspect, Settlers of Catan is a now very well known game with relatively straightforward rules (thus often considered a "gateway" game, therefore good for those transitioning to the more complicated strategy type of games (from simple roll-and-move, etc). Of course every set up is different. Need other players to trade with, so this would not be a good solo option. If you like space themes, Eclipse also has a modular board (much longer and more complicated, not typically considered a "beginner" game!)

For maps, cities, and lot of cubes (and a great looking game), try Hansa Teutonica!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:

If you're used to playing RPGs, the rules for Mage Knight shouldn't deter you. They're just a lot for someone who's a beginner in ALL of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:

The only other thing that comes to mind is Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), and that's at least as complicated for a board game beginner as Mage Knight is. I'm getting the impression that you aren't a complete beginner though, so I'm thinking you might just want to go ahead and buy Mage Knight.

Just be prepared that for the first few play throughs you'll be constantly looking at the rulebook. The good part is that the game plays wonderfully solo, so you can do all that learning on your own so that you're fully prepared the first time you play with your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
End all your Mage Knight worries here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smon Mrko
Slovakia
flag msg tools
OK I understood Mage Knight is hard for beginner and now i am looking at Clash of Culture and finding some information about the game. Do you think is a good game for me? And i am beginner at boardgame i play only chess or Draughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:
OK I understood Mage Knight is hard for beginner and now i am looking at Clash of Culture and finding some information about the game. Do you think is a good game for me? And i am beginner at boardgame i play only chess or Draughts

Not any easier. MK is not hard like I said. Watch the video I posted the link for it will give you a better understanding. The game just takes time to learn but it's not impossible. It is very rewarding and makes you want to play it more and more once you get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSvk wrote:
hmm Nexus Ops and Clash of Cultures look good. What from these is better? I like the map who is every round other.

In spite of some their 'visual similarities' they are vastly different games, so it will largely depend on what you're looking for. Both are great games.

Nexus Ops is a fairly simple battle driven game that plays in about 90 minutes. It forces conflict as it the only way to get victory points. It's quick, fun, and action packed.

Clash of cultures is a civilization building game, which plays in roughly an hour/per player (so 3 hours for a 3 player game). Aside from fighting, CoC includes developing technology, exploring, and building cities. It is much more complicated than Nexus Ops, but probably the most simple of the civilization games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
SimonSvk wrote:

Not any easier. MK is not hard like I said. Watch the video I posted the link for it will give you a better understanding. The game just takes time to learn but it's not impossible. It is very rewarding and makes you want to play it more and more once you get the hang of it.

The rules in Clash of Cultures are definitely simpler than Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BoardGameGeek (BGG)!

There is a section on BGG for every game where you can see how people have rated the game for "Weight". Basically, a game's weight is how hard the game is to learn or to play.

To see the "Weight" rating for Mage Knight, go to the Mage Knight page and click on Stats:

In the stats area, you can click the small graph image to get a larger graph image:

For comparison, I've also shown the weight for Small World:

As you can see, Small World is a much lighter game. Games with weights like Mage Knight are almost never recommended as beginner games. You are much better off starting by learning a few light/medium games before moving on to the very heavy games.

Small World is actually a really good "beginner" recommendation for the type of game you're looking for. I personally kind of like the humorous artwork of Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
SimonSvk wrote:

The rules in Clash of Cultures are definitely simpler than Mage Knight.

The rules in MK are not that bad, the amount of individual rules are vast because each monster and location has it's own specifications but those are situational so you only have to look them up when you encounter them.

I would consider myself a casual game and I just picked this up last week and feel really comfortable with it now. I was really nervous reading the same warnings that it would be too hard to learn but I don't feel the game itself is hard, there is just a lot of little things to keep track of but luckily they don't happen every turn. The actual upkeep per turn and actions are at their core rather simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.