20 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: "Custom" Credit Counter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fr Ze
msg tools
Hey everybody,
keeping track of your credits (and carrying the tokens around) is a PITA, so I wanted an alternative. I don't like dice because they are knocked over way to easily.
I remembered the MTG Ultra Pro Life Counter, which I thought would come in handy, but unfortunately I couldn't find one without a fantasy motive on it.
So I got myself one (http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=570) and printed out an Android: Netrunner motive onto a sticker paper and put it on top of it.

Please ignore my absolutely hideous handicraft skills (I still prefer this ugly Netrunner counter over a dragon motive), this is just meant to show a practical way to keep track of your credits - I also use it as a divider between my corp and runner decks. Also, you could print the click tracker on top of it (may redo it, but I doubt that I would do a better job next time) - maybe someone with craftsmanship skills would able to make some nice ones, I would definitely spend some money on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty awesome. I would buy one. Hey FFG. Pay attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I've tried using an iPhone app to keep track of credits for both sides, but to be honest I found it more fiddly and troublesome than just using the standard tokens. I'm curious to hear whether this method fares any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use spindown d20s to keep track of my credits. Way easier than shuffling around tons of cardboard tokens all the time.

(Slightly poetically, my Netrunner credits have found new life as +1/+1 counters for Magic.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how much credits move around, I've tried and rejected most methods to record credits that aren't "Have a pile of tokens in front of you."

Dice can be knocked, and cannot be seen from across the table.

Dice as countdowns on things like Armitage and Lib-Accounts vary depending on who's doing that (every die pip counts as one 'use' versus strict number of credits, for example).

This is a nice idea, but since you still need tokens for the Advancement of Agenda... I'm not 100% sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that tokens are sufficient. Maybe I'm just a board gamer at heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
byronczimmer wrote:
This is a nice idea, but since you still need tokens for the Advancement of Agenda... I'm not 100% sold.

This is what really did it for me. When I realized that in order to advance a card I'd have to adjust my credit tracker and grab a token from the supply, I went back to just using the double-sided tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep +1 for sticking with tokens after trying many different things. The game has way too many things that require you to put tokens on different things that not having something physical is an impediment, and having to break out the tokens when you do use them means why not use them from the start, as confusion and mistakes can easily happen without tracking each cred as a physical piece.

If digital tokens with led numbers (I mentioned this a while ago) could be realized I'm sure I'd go with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan..

To small,
To easy to "Nudge dial"
Cant use to advance

Don't want to constantly ask to see your cred count. Creds are open info and by asking to see your dial i may be telegraphing my strategy. I want to see you pile of creds and quietly make decision based on that information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
My group uses Legos. We think they're easier to handle and manipulate than the standard tokens. We use 1x1, 2x1, and 2x2 bricks, each type in a different thematically appropriate color. The number of knots is the number of credits it represents, so 1, 2, and 4, which works really well for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:
My group uses Legos. We think they're easier to handle and manipulate than the standard tokens. We use 1x1, 2x1, and 2x2 bricks, each type in a different thematically appropriate color. The number of knots is the number of credits it represents, so 1, 2, and 4, which works really well for this game.

That sounds pretty cool. And as an added bonus you can build stuff while your opponent takes forever deciding how to crack your server on that 'complicated' run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
beelzeben wrote:
vantageGT wrote:

That sounds pretty cool. And as an added bonus you can build stuff while your opponent takes forever deciding how to crack your server on that 'complicated' run.

One of my coworkers has a mini-bonsai on his desk made out of small Lego pieces. Now I'm imagining it as a virtual representation of Jinteki's bank accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
[...]
One of my coworkers has a mini-bonsai on his desk made out of small Lego pieces. Now I'm imagining it as a virtual representation of Jinteki's bank accounts.

Any chance you can post a picture of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
...and cannot be seen from across the table.

This. I hate having to keep asking how many credits my opponent has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
cervantes3773 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
[...]

I really should have said "former coworker" since he left the company earlier this month, but I didn't want to burden the thread with details.

But I will now! It was made of about 20 1x2 flat Lego pieces. The brown ones were arranged in kind of a base to look like roots/trunk, and the lime green ones radiated out in four directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends tried using dice to keep track of credits and he asked me if I wanted to some of his dice as well. We realized that you still need some sort of counters to keep track of tags, advancement tokens, recurring credits, viruses etc ...

I am sticking to counters until someone comes up with a good solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
[...]

Any chance you can post the build instructions for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
byronczimmer wrote:
cervantes3773 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
[...]

It was just made up randomly; I don't think there were any real instructions.

But since everyone is clamoring for an example, here's an image to put in your head. Picture the thing on my coworker's desk as about 2% as impressive as this: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/11/lego-bonsai-tree-by-ma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
cervantes3773 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
[...]

It was just made up randomly; I don't think there were any real instructions.

But since everyone is clamoring for an example, here's an image to put in your head. Picture the thing on my coworker's desk as about 2% as impressive as this: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/11/lego-bonsai-tree-by-ma...

Well, now we definitely need your build instructions, cuz that's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use the alarm counter from Android:Infiltration. The main dials are your credits and the other dial that runs from -1 to 8 your free MU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.