Popular Tags: [View All]
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get some nice figures for this game instead of using the generic pawns that it comes with.

In Forbidden Island the roles are:
Diver (black)
Engineer (red)
Explorer (green)
Messenger (white)
Navigator (yellow) and
Pilot (blue).

Are the roles the same in Forbidden Desert?

As seen in pictures (from Gamerwright) I know these roles are in Forbidden Desert:
Architect (red)
Explorer (green)

I have heard that there is a water carrier (blue). I have scoured the internet for little scraps of information, and there isn't much else out there. Please help! I'd like to be able to have the figures by the time I get the game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spotted some pictures of a German version here on the 'Geek:

archeologisch= archeologist architect (red)
forscher= researcher (black) (EDIT) Climber
mountaineer= explorer (green)
meteorologe= meteorologist (white)
navigator (yellow)
wasser-trager= water carrier (blue)

Still not sure if the roles will directly translate over to the English language version.

(Edits were made after link to instructions were sent to me. http://www.drawing-bored.com/uploads/7/1/6/8/7168407/fd_inst...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play this last weekend. Here are what the roles that I know allow you to do:

water carrier: Can return to wells to get more water, and give water to players on adjacent tiles
meteorologist: Can look through the top three cards in the storm deck (that determines which tiles will get sand covered), and put one of them at the bottom of the deck. Can also use actions to reduce the number of storm cards drawn by one at the end of his turn.
explorer: Didn't use this guy
researcher Didn't use this guy
navigator: Can move other people during his turn, 1 action to move three spaces
archeologist?/ architect: didn't use this guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The last three ones are

- the explorer (Forscher): may move diagonally and remove sand diagonally
- archeologist (Archäologe) may remove two sand tiles for one action only
- mountain climber (Bergsteiger) may move to dunes (= tiles with two or more sand tiles on them) and may take a person with him, should this person be on the same spot as him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot of these roles seem very similar to Forbidden Island, are the mechanics different enough to want this one as well??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
richlush wrote:
A lot of these roles seem very similar to Forbidden Island, are the mechanics different enough to want this one as well??

Having played it three times now, definitely yes.

It has a lot more of an adventerous feeling than forbidden island, there is no card collection/sharing and the moving desert pieces are quite different, plus bonus action cards that are really nice to have. Furthermore, the need for water adds another (very interesting!) layer, which is a lot harder to master than forbidden island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SBHD wrote:
richlush wrote:

Having played it three times now, definitely yes.

It has a lot more of an adventerous feeling than forbidden island, there is no card collection/sharing and the moving desert pieces are quite different, plus bonus action cards that are really nice to have. Furthermore, the need for water adds another (very interesting!) layer, which is a lot harder to master than forbidden island.

Oh! I didn't know that there is no card sharing/collection in this one.. Now I'm really intrigued!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no trading is it fair to say that the main goal is different to Pandemic and Forbidden Island, like instead of collecting things (or curing things) you need to supply water to somewhere or someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of trading cards to get the treasures, here's how the treasures (airship parts) work:

Each airship part (engine, propeller, crystal, compass) is associated with two tiles on the board. One has vertical arrows, one has horizontal arrows. Where the two sets of arrows meet is where the part is located, and it's dropped on the board there once the second part tile is revealed. Once revealed, it stays on the tile until it's picked up by a player, even if the tile shifts position and loses alignment with the two arrow tiles.

The goal is to collect the 4 parts and get to the airship launchpad tile. Adding sand to tiles makes them impassible, and un-flippable, so you're not just randomly running around trying to keep the desert from getting covered in sand, you are searching for the matching tiles for each airship part. At the same time, your water supply is drying up, and there are only two wells on the board that you can get water from (they're marked on the back, but there's also a mirage tile that looks just like a water tile but doesn't do anything. Surprise!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kredal wrote:
Instead of trading cards to get the treasures, here's how the treasures (airship parts) work:

Each airship part (engine, propeller, crystal, compass) is associated with two tiles on the board. One has vertical arrows, one has horizontal arrows. Where the two sets of arrows meet is where the part is located, and it's dropped on the board there once the second part tile is revealed. Once revealed, it stays on the tile until it's picked up by a player, even if the tile shifts position and loses alignment with the two arrow tiles.

The goal is to collect the 4 parts and get to the airship launchpad tile. Adding sand to tiles makes them impassible, and un-flippable, so you're not just randomly running around trying to keep the desert from getting covered in sand, you are searching for the matching tiles for each airship part. At the same time, your water supply is drying up, and there are only two wells on the board that you can get water from (they're marked on the back, but there's also a mirage tile that looks just like a water tile but doesn't do anything. Surprise!)

thanks for the great summary. It sounds intriguing. Is it as light as FI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's as light as FI... It will take a few more plays to figure that out. The one time I played, we lost to lack of water. I'm not entirely sure what we did wrong, other than not ALL being on the well marker when it got flipped over. It seemed like there were too many things going on, and not enough movement points to take care of them all. More plays will help figure out the best order to do things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great comments and fantastic insight to the game! Please don't forget to thumbs up my post!

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
balzi wrote:
Is it as light as FI?

No it's a little heavier. There are typically more viable choices for the player each turn than FI tends to offer; and the best action(s) to take are usually less obvious than they can sometimes be in FI. Often in FI I feel the game is playing itself and the optimum actions for each player are obvious. Less so here. This requires a little more thought, a little more player co-ordination (getting to wells together, getting under solar shields together) and a little more overall planning and foresight (6 cards left and 2 more Sun Beats Down cards to come....get to a tunnel by the end of your turn!).

Still very much a casual-friendly game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.