Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly does the Craftsman phase work?

This is how we were playing it:

Craftsman first produces all barrels he can ov each kind of good. Then next player produces all barrels of each kind he can produce. And so on around, so that each player is producing *all* of their barrels of all goods on their turn. Then lastly the Craftsman takes his extra barrel, if there are any of that kind left.

I read somewhere, though, that you only do one kind of barrel on your turn? Is that right? Does that mean we go around and around each producing one kind until we've produced all we can? Or do we only get to produce one kind for the whole phase (excluding the craftsman's barrel).

Just need help clarifying the amount and the order. Sorry if this is answered, I read several posts and didn't see it.

mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it right I think. Well we normally play he gets the extra barrel with the rest, but this may be a mistake by us...

Anyway, yes, everything you have a worker in the field and a worker in the factory for is produced, all at once, there is no taking turns like in the Captain phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each player produces all the (regular) barrels at once, then the Craftsman gets his extra barrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evertjan van de Kaa
Netherlands
den haag
zuid holland
flag msg tools
note though that the supply of goods is limiting. so a player produces all different goods but only as much as there are and not more (ie a player having the factory will only get the 5 coin if he also has the 5 different goods. not if he has 4 different goods because one of them was no longer in supply.

Evertjan van de Kaa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
You have it right I think. Well we normally play he gets the extra barrel with the rest, but this may be a mistake by us...

Anyway, yes, everything you have a worker in the field and a worker in the factory for is produced, all at once, there is no taking turns like in the Captain phase.

There IS turn-taking, though not like in the Captain phase. The person taking Craftsman gets all his goods, as far as the supply of barrels allows. Then onto the next player, and so on until it comes back to the Craftsman who takes his bonus barrel.

Due to the barrel supply being finite, it is important to do this in order, at least when the number of barrels and the amount of good produced start to clash.

(I originally read it as you were playing it as a free for all where whoever grabbed the barrels produced them, but I see that is not the case - good for slow reacting players like me!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I have a follow-on question regarding the Craftsman phase.

Say, early in a game, the player choosing the Craftsman role can only produce 1 indigo and 1 tobacco, does he still get a bonus indigo or tobacco barrel at the end of the phase, even though his production capacity for each is 1? We have been playing it so he does, and that's the way I understand the rule, but I'm not 100% sure on it.

Cheers,
p22

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Baker
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jason,
Yes, the player choosing craftsman will still get the bonus barrel. It is the fact that he is allowed to produce beyond his capacity that makes the barrel a "bonus".

The only reason that they wouldn't get the extra barrel is if there weren't any barrels left of the types they had initially produced.
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.