Popular Tags: [View All]
Marguerite Cottrell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This also appears at http://notthesingularity.com/2871/ladies-gentlemen-first-tho...

What made shopping, stocks, gossip, fashion, and misogyny so fun??
Ladies & Gentlemen did. Gentlemen go to the stock exchange every morning, ladies head off to their favorite shops; After all, the ball is only a few days away!! I can’t even make this up!! The most elegantly dressed lady at the end of the game will take the victory. Men must bring enough bacon home to pay for the ladies’ fashion choices and household help.

This game makes perfect use of the Victorian Era as most Americans probably know of it. Ladies must be fashionable, though they can be a little gossipy. The men work at the stock exchange, and grimace at the credit card bill upon their arrival home. Men will find also themselves having to foot the bill for a very expensive courtesan’s wardrobe if they want to keep their reputation for class.

The gentlemen’s job is a kind of race. There are a number (equal to the number of gentlemen) of revealed contracts with needs of 2-5 specific resources. At the opening bell, the men will look at the resource tokens, one at a time, with the ability to keep three and find a number token to determine his and his ladies' initiative for the round. In the afternoon, the gentlemen will, in initiative order, sell their resources for cash or complete contracts.

The ladies’ morning means window shopping. They choose from a number of sales to place in their favorite shop. The sale is for hired help, apparel, accessories or jewelry. In the afternoon each lady decides, in secret, which shop she’ll visit. Ladies will search from among the sale items and take their choices home on credit.

Each evening the ladies will hand their dapper gentlemen the various things they've found during the day. The gentlemen will choose for which of these things they’re willing to foot the bill. Each garment has a number of elegance points, though they must adhere to a couple of restrictions. After five rounds the ladies & gentlemen will meet at the big ball, and the lady with the most elegant outfit will win the envy of all the town.

Last night’s two session games saw the ladies fighting over finding a dress. The gentlemen’s side ran somewhat smoothly, with huge competition over the big-money contracts. The winner eeked it out with lots of cheap jewelry/accessories. In my (triumphant) second game, it was a mix of designer-specific pieces and helpful servants that snatched up my victory!

What a fun game! It brings out the silly in everyone to whom I've shown it. The game begs for as much flavor and role-playing as possible. The sexist theme and dual-sided play wants for funny voices and lots of jokes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What a fun game! It brings out the silly in everyone to whom I've shown it. The game begs for as much flavor and role-playing as possible. The sexist theme and dual-sided play wants for funny voices and lots of jokes.

I plan on picking this game up after reading this and other positive reviews.

It's too bad the publisher wasn't more blunt about this being satire before this was published. Board games tend to be sexist toward women - yes, this is a fact - and their promo material for the game came across as serious which resulted in what appears to be unfounded criticisms. Satire tends to be over the top. That's what makes it funny.

Looking forward to trying this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marguerite Cottrell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if someone couldn't recognize the satire, they're probably better off not playing... at least til they can get their head checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maggibot wrote:
if someone couldn't recognize the satire, they're probably better off not playing... at least til they can get their head checked.

I'm not talking about the game. I'm talking about the news release the publisher sent out announcing the game was going to be released.

I was one of those people who questioned the theme . . . so I don't think it was that obvious. People who have played the game, now THOSE comments have been obvious.

Part of the problem is the context. You look at all the Ameritrash games and the vast majority have female characters in skimpy clothes. It's even in family games. Cargo Noir comes to mind as quite egregious given that it's a DoW game that would appeal to families. None of this sexism is satire at all. So that's why people leaped to a conclusion before Ladie and Gentlemen was published.

I love satire. I have Cards Against Humanity as one of my favorite games, about one of the most un-PC games ever made. What matters is if its intended to be serious or not. This game looks like fun. The publisher's pre-release info about the game did not give that impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved everything I've read about this game so far.
Just waiting for a video review before I pull the financial trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pskowski
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Maggibot wrote:

I'm not talking about the game. I'm talking about the news release the publisher sent out announcing the game was going to be released.

I was one of those people who questioned the theme . . . so I don't think it was that obvious. People who have played the game, now THOSE comments have been obvious.

Part of the problem is the context. You look at all the Ameritrash games and the vast majority have female characters in skimpy clothes. It's even in family games. Cargo Noir comes to mind as quite egregious given that it's a DoW game that would appeal to families. None of this sexism is satire at all. So that's why people leaped to a conclusion before Ladie and Gentlemen was published.

I love satire. I have Cards Against Humanity as one of my favorite games, about one of the most un-PC games ever made. What matters is if its intended to be serious or not. This game looks like fun. The publisher's pre-release info about the game did not give that impression.

I think there is a big gap between skimpy clothing and a game's theme being out-dated and sexist gender roles.

I didn't see the material you're talking about but when I first saw the one sentence summary of the game it was easy to peg as satire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glocks4interns wrote:
travvller wrote:
Maggibot wrote:

I think there is a big gap between skimpy clothing and a game's theme being out-dated and sexist gender roles.

I didn't see the material you're talking about but when I first saw the one sentence summary of the game it was easy to peg as satire.

They're both one in the same. If you have a game of adventurers and the men are wearing practical clothing and the female characters are not, that's an out-dated and sexist gender role.

If you don't see this sexism then the satire of this game was probably more obvious. If you think we're swimming in sexism it's not necessarily apparent.

This game seems to work as satire in part because it's obvious men will likely at times play as women within the game. That's especially funny.

Imagine the artwork in Cargo Noir, a fairly recent game, being totally flipped with female mobsters and males in skimpy clothes standing by their side as mere eye candy and nothing else. That would be satire as well. But Cargo Noir, like most games with sexist imagery, are playing it straight. It's there. It's in a lot of games.

It feels like if you're dismissing those who didn't immediately get the joke you're also dismissing the prevalence of sexist imagery. The two go hand-in-hand. Some people initially didn't get the joke because of all the sexist imagery. We're not all uptight PC types. We're just tired of the status quo.

This game is a step in the right direction. Making fun of the sexism means we're moving on, albeit slowly given how many publishers continue to use sexist imagery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.