Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herr Fogeltje
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive my vague description, but the game is sitting at my brother's place and I'm trying to reconstruct the issue from memory.

On the first wheel you can harvest food. Some food is hidden under wood. On the technology track there is a technology that allows you to harvest food even when there's no food available on a particular spot. And that's where we got into a discussion.

I read the rule that you may harvest food when all maize token on that spot have been taken. My brother reads it as you may take food when no maize token is visible, for instance two are still on the field but hidden under wood. In my eyes, those are still available, but you have to burn the wood and anger the gods.

So my question, with this technology, can I pick a food from a field when all maize tokens are hidden under wood tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can get food when the corn tokens are hidden by wood tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fogeltje wrote:
So my question, with this technology, can I pick a food from a field when all maize tokens are hidden under wood tokens?

Yes. See this thread, where this was explained in detail by one of the designers. You can of course house rule it differently if you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition of the rules is much more explicit that this is allowed:

Quote:
If you cannot see any Corn Harvest Tiles on the Palenque
action space you’re using (i.e. they are hidden under Wood
Harvest Tiles or there are no more left), you can still use
that action space to get corn (but you do not get a Corn
Harvest Tile).
Take 1 more corn every time you fish (Palenque action 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Duke wrote:
fogeltje wrote:

Yes. See this thread, where this was explained in detail by one of the designers. You can of course house rule it differently if you want!

Try it with the original rule - we think it improves the game if the corn under the wood is not available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the designer, you can use the tech even if there are still hidden corn tokens available.

You also always have the option to burn the forest and piss off the gods to harvest food, but you have to drop once on a temple of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Gary Duke wrote:
fogeltje wrote:

Try it with the original rule - we think it improves the game if the corn under the wood is not available.

Indeed. Note that there are three reasonable options:

- The strictest rule is to say that crop rotation only allows you to harvest corn if all the wood and corn harvest tiles have been taken from the action space. This makes the tech almost useless.

- The original rule was that crop rotation lets you harvest corn as long as there is either a corn harvest tile visible (as usual) or at least one corn harvest tile has already been taken (leaving an empty space that was not empty at the beginning of the game - important with less than 4 players). Thematically, you can get corn from a field that has already been cleared and harvested previously, but you can't get corn if everything is still wooded.

- The final, simpler, rule is that crop rotation lets you always get corn from an action space - slightly less thematic, but much easier to get right, especially in 2- and 3-player games (since there are no dummy tiles that you can use to blank out the unused spaces - unless you make your own).

Just be aware that the last is the rule as given in the rulebook; anything else is a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Fogeltje
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. We liked the suggested 2nd variant from the post above where there should be at least one empty space, symbolizing a cleared field that can be used to plant crops. I'm considering suggesting dummy tokens to avoid any confusion in case of 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just cover the spots not used with fewer players with an unused player color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele tascini
Italy
Macerata
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Duke wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:
Gary Duke wrote:
fogeltje wrote:

Indeed. Note that there are three reasonable options:

- The strictest rule is to say that crop rotation only allows you to harvest corn if all the wood and corn harvest tiles have been taken from the action space. This makes the tech almost useless.

- The original rule was that crop rotation lets you harvest corn as long as there is either a corn harvest tile visible (as usual) or at least one corn harvest tile has already been taken (leaving an empty space that was not empty at the beginning of the game - important with less than 4 players). Thematically, you can get corn from a field that has already been cleared and harvested previously, but you can't get corn if everything is still wooded.

- The final, simpler, rule is that crop rotation lets you always get corn from an action space - slightly less thematic, but much easier to get right, especially in 2- and 3-player games (since there are no dummy tiles that you can use to blank out the unused spaces - unless you make your own).

Just be aware that the last is the rule as given in the rulebook; anything else is a variant.

That's a great explanation, thanks Gary.
Just want to point out that the first 'option' came from a misunderstanding of one player... none intended the rule like that. As you said, this way the tech would be pretty useless.

You can houserule the 2nd option if you like of course. That is how I originally intended it. But consider any official tournament will use the official '3rd option' rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I only hallucinating or is every second thread here in this forum about acriculture tech 2, always with the same questions, and always with the same answers?

I am really not the one who demands from everybody, to read the whole forum to be allowed to post a thread. But really, there is a search button.

It is a pain for any user, who wants to comb through this forum for some really new and original problems with the game, only to read ten times the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.