Subject: What does the new Inquisitor role do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Noom-noom-Numeron, send us food to chew-mer-on.
badge
Ed's chunk just spun in place, forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to piece together the rules for the the new Inquisitor role.

Rule Guesses

So far, I've gathered that...
1.) It replaces the Ambassador cards when used (see reference [1])
2.) It's ability is something like following: "Copy Ambassador's ability, or look at another player's card. That play can then keep the card or discard it." (see references [2] and [3])

Questions
But questions remain! Are my guesses accurate? What exactly does it mean that the "owner can keep it or discard it after that"? Is it that the "owner" may draw a replacement card after being spied on? Is the "owner" the owner of the Inquisitor card or the owner of the card that's been spied upon?

So if you have any insight into the French language, or have scrounged up any more rules, please contribute. Thanks!

References

[1] Coup Kickstarter: "Every pledge reward level will include a set of cards for "The Inquisitor", an alternative role card that can be used in place of the game's "Ambassador" role."

[2] French edition rough translation: "A new character will be introdiced, the Inquisitor : he haves the same ability of the ambassador or (you can choice) he can ask someone to see one of his card. The owner can keep it or discard it after that."

[3] French edition announcement: "Il dispose du même pouvoir que l'Ambassadeur ou (au choix) il peut demander à voir une des cartes d'un joueur. Le proprio peut alors la garder ou la défausser."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander De Bruyne
Belgium
Erembodegem
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I speak French and you got it right.

What exactly does it mean that the "owner can keep it or discard it after that"? Is it that the "owner" may draw a replacement card after being spied on?
-> Yes.

Is the "owner" the owner of the Inquisitor card or the owner of the card that's been spied upon?
-> Owner of the card that's been spied upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzalwelaja wrote:
I speak French and you got it right.

What exactly does it mean that the "owner can keep it or discard it after that"? Is it that the "owner" may draw a replacement card after being spied on?
-> Yes.

Is the "owner" the owner of the Inquisitor card or the owner of the card that's been spied upon?
-> Owner of the card that's been spied upon.

Can the owner show either of his cards that he chooses?

Can this be "blocked" by any role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander De Bruyne
Belgium
Erembodegem
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Can the owner show either of his cards that he chooses?

Can this be "blocked" by any role?

- The way it is worded in French I'd say: yes, the person being spied on can choose which card he'll show

- Doesn't say anything about possibly being blocked, I guess not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Inquisitor
remove all the ambassadors from the deck and play with the Inquisitors instead. The Inquisitor has the following power

Exchange one card with the pack (a)
OR (not both)
Look at one card from another player and force them to change it if you choose (b)
-------
blocks the captain (c)

notes
(a) same power as ambassador but only get to look at and choose from one card, not two
(b) opponent you choose has to show you one of their cards (their choice which, if you target them multiple times they can keep showing you the same card). You may then force them to exchange that card with the Court deck. Process is: You get passed their card and look at it secretly. Either you hand it back to them and tell them to keep it or if you want them to exchange it, they first take a new card from the court deck then you return their original card to the Court Deck (ie that way they cannot get their original card back)
(c) continues to block the Captain same as ambassador

The information from Russian publisher Igrato: http://tesera.ru/game/Coup/comments/#post262790
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great find Nelud!!! Sounds interesting. Will be trying it out in my games! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
msg tools
Thanks for the information, Nelud. I'd love to hear confirmation from the designer on how it's supposed to work, since that quote is slightly different from what's currently on the BGG main page for Coup, under Description:
Quote:
Either you hand it back to them and tell them to keep it or if you want them to exchange it, they first take a new card from the court deck then you return their original card to the Court Deck (ie that way they cannot get their original card back)

Quote:
Force an opponent to show you one of their character cards (their choice which). If you wish it, you may force them to shuffle the card into the deck. They then get to draw a new card.

I know a number of people in my gaming group will be getting copies when the Kickstarter ships, but I'm also eager to try out the Inquisitor before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.