Grant Helmreich
msg tools
I'm currently in the playtesting stage for a game I've designed called "Conspiracy Theory", and I thought it was about time to share what I'm working on with the BGG community both for general input, and to recruit playtesters from outside of my circles of friends.

Conspiracy Theory is a game in which players take on the roles of people from a plethora of backgrounds united by a common goal: to expose the web of conspiracies gripping the world from the shadows. They will travel the world, working cooperatively in attempting to foil the plots behind each thread of the grand conspiracy (e.g. alien crop circles, secret Templar orders, or subliminal mind control) while struggling to fight the swelling tide of the conspirator's influence over the world. If the players manage to bring enough of the conspiracy to light before it is finally completed, they will have saved the world from utter subjugation at the hands of an heretofore unknown menace. If they work together they might just have a chance; however, one of their number may be a traitor, secretly working to bring the dark conspiracy to fruition. Will the team manage to reveal the traitor in their midst? Or will their mission devolve into an endless witch hunt?

Thus far, the game has tested well, and I'm cautiously optimistic going forward. Conspiracy Theory has a fairly strong (and I think engaging) theme, co-op mechanics that encourage player interaction while strongly limiting the ability of an 'alpha' player to dominate decisions (more on those later...), and plays in about 90-120 minutes. The biggest draw according to my playtesters thus far has been the hunt for the (potential) traitor. It creates an aura of suspicion and paranoia where every choice you make is scrutinized for hints of your true motives.

If you have questions about the game, or would be interested in participating in playtesting, just reply in this thread. I'm hoping to be ready to distribute playtesting materials within a few weeks!

-Grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely interested in playtesting. This is a favorite topic of mine! Please contact me if you can use me.

How many players?

How soon do you need responses back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Helmreich
msg tools
Ah, right, number of players!

Conspiracy Theory may be played with 2-8 players; however, the traitor mechanics may not work well with 2 players (needs testing). The game can be played without the traitor mechanic, making it purely co-operative, while still offering a good challenge.

As for timing, as I said it'll probably be a few weeks before I'm ready, so you have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I have a group of players that could probably run a test or two either on May 11 or May 30-Jun 2, if you can send materials by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sounds like my real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love co-ops and the idea of anti-Illuminati amuses me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Campbell
United States
Fort Payne
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool. I'd be in as soon as the spring semester is over in about 2 weeks. I don't think 30 pages of research papers would mix too well with game testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Helmreich
msg tools
I can appreciate the end of semester crunch... I was working on the game in the midst of starting my dissertation and studying for tests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd be interested in playtesting this with a couple of my game groups. One is composed largely of college professors, who love using their critical faculties in games of The Resistance (and who often get shown up by those of us who are less degreed but can lie very well )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Allison
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
would be interested in play testing this if you want to send me a message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.