brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Haven't actually played this game yet, but I've come across a whole lot of extra monsters for this game (from a whole mix of different expansions). Can I just use all the extra monsters mixed together as-is or do I have to sort out and remove extra and duplicate monsters that don't belong due to balance or ratio issues? Will it "break" or ruin gameplay?

Thanks.

The only ones that shouldn't be mixed in are the Mask monsters (unless using the appropriate AO) and the Spawn monsters. You can mix the rest in and it won't break anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd rather separate things out after each play there's a set of lists in the file section that details what monsters and what quanitity of each come in each set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My belief is that you should mix all of the monsters in. If not, there are some cards from one set that refer to monsters from a different set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
The balance is actually pretty good even if you add everything into one big pile since there are extra cultists and mask monsters to balance things (even if you dont use masks normally, they are balanced when you do).

Its a question of flavor really, I prefer to have a monster mix that better represents the expansion I am using so I get very different opponents if I am using the Goat expansion and different again (lots of Deep Ones) if I use Innsmouth.

Some people like to have the possibly of all the lovecraftian creatures showing up and thats fine too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Some monsters have abilities that don't make much sense without the rest of the expansion they came with. Mainly Aquatic movment comes to mind.

Other than that, the only thing I would strongly encourage is that you paly with either all or none of the Monsters from a given expansion. Otherwise you are likely to mess with the balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gert74 wrote:
Some monsters have abilities that don't make much sense without the rest of the expansion they came with. Mainly Aquatic movment comes to mind.

True, but they default to Black border movement if no aquatic is there - which is a problem you can have even with the correct expansion in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.