Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Let'se see: potentially three minions with 5 power
Ability to bring up to three extra minions into play with the same name
Ability to reduce base breakpoint to 0
A few abilities to bring extra minions into play

If you pair these guys with zombies its basically impossible to beat them. I would almost say it's a broken combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

Almost nothing in this game is "broken," despite people seeing a strong combo and almost instantaneously accepting it as so.

1.) Dinosaurs have a 7 and 4 War Raptors that ramp up to 6es if all of them are in play.

2.) The ability to bring 3 extra minions into play is only OP if you get all 3 of them into play at the same time. What, exactly, are you bringing into play--especially with Zombies?--that makes this into a backbreaking combo? 3x Walkers don't seem that OP; 3x Tenacious Z doesn't either; even 3x Gravediggers doesn't seem THAT overwhelming.

3.) The ability to break a base in one swoop is strong, but not an auto win. Tricksters can disenchant it, Ninjas can infiltrate it, Aliens can Terraform it, and most other factions can play a minion there to score some points off of it.

4.) So... abilities that bring extra minions in to play are "broken?" That means Ninjas are broken, Ghosts are broken, Tricksters are broken, Zombies are broken, and Wizards and Robots are SUPER broken.

Play some more...

Plants are incredibly fun to play with, and probably my favorite AL9K faction (though Steampunk Tricksters is probably my favorite overall combo), but they're FAR from imbalanced/OP/Broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
A lot of combos can be considered to be over powered, or broken as Miguel worded it.

Basically it all comes down to just how you play your combo, which will work different against different combos. And depending on what your opponents have as a combo, they will play it differently against your Zombie/Plant super-combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think also that your natural play style makes a huge differnce here.
For how I play and think the Aliens are the best and I feel the most powerful faction, they suit me and my play style. That's the fun of this game ANY of the factions can be overpowered depending on who you are and what you play with them........'cept the Piratesyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
Unless you really like how the Pirates work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Atomikhammer wrote:
For how I play and think the Aliens are the best and I feel the most powerful faction, they suit me and my play style.

You know I hate it when people use the play style argument cause it's like saying

"Thing 'A' isn't overpowered cause you can play them really really poorly if you don't know what you are doing."

A good player isn't a slave to any particular style and understands he must modify it depending on the situation.

Quote:
That's the fun of this game ANY of the factions can be overpowered depending on who you are and what you play with them........'cept the Piratesyuk

arrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrh

Oh really? With the sole exception of Aliens when they have 14 points and at least one invader still in their deck there's no faction I fear moreso in the endgame than a Pirate player who's Full Sail card is not in his discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Atomikhammer wrote:
For how I play and think the Aliens are the best and I feel the most powerful faction, they suit me and my play style.

You know I hate it when people use the play style argument cause it's like saying

"Thing 'A' isn't overpowered cause you can play them really really poorly if you don't know what you are doing."

A good player isn't a slave to any particular style and understands he must modify it depending on the situation.

Quote:
That's the fun of this game ANY of the factions can be overpowered depending on who you are and what you play with them........'cept the Piratesyuk

arrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrh

Oh really? With the sole exception of Aliens when they have 14 points and at least one invader still in their deck there's no faction I fear moreso in the endgame than a Pirate player who's Full Sail card is not in his discard pile.

Not my point at all. The OP asked if anyones else thought the Plants are overpowered.
My point is that there are lot's of ways to play this game with many stratagems and a faction that's deadly in your hands may be average for someone else and vice verse. None of them seem broken or too overpowered to me.
Just sayin' as the factions all play so different and each only makes half your deck, how you play will colour your view of which factions are powerful. The plants being overpowered hadn't occured to me at all. When I first opened the 9000 box and took a quick look I wondered if the Ghosts might be too much...but I turns out not really.
It's easy to think that, say, the Ninja are overpowered if your shifty buddy who is a natural with them crushes you every second game, but they're not they just suit him.
And the dig at the pirates was just a bit of humour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Atomikhammer wrote:

Not my point at all. The OP asked if anyones else thought the Plants are overpowered.
My point is that there are lot's of ways to play this game with many stratagems and a faction that's deadly in your hands may be average for someone else and vice verse. None of them seem broken or too overpowered to me.
Just sayin' as the factions all play so different and each only makes half your deck, how you play will colour your view of which factions are powerful. The plants being overpowered hadn't occured to me at all. When I first opened the 9000 box and took a quick look I wondered if the Ghosts might be too much...but I turns out not really.
It's easy to think that, say, the Ninja are overpowered if your shifty buddy who is a natural with them crushes you every second game, but they're not they just suit him.
And the dig at the pirates was just a bit of humour.

Hehe sorry about sounding rude there. The "Playstyle" argument has rubbed me the wrong way ever since someone used it as an excuse to ignore advice I was trying to give him after he came in last due ungodly poor playing during a certain game.

Whether or not a faction is overpowered has nothing to do with a person's play style however you are right that if a person gets a faction that matches their play style a particular faction may feel stronger to them relative to a different faction just because they naturally play the faction that matches their play style better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries at all, figured it was just crossed wires. I don't find much in rudeness to be common on the Geek at all really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Monroe
msg tools

A combo of Zombies, Aliens, Robots or Plants won't win you every game but it will provide a greater opportunity for success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
I find it intriguing noone mentioned the "Prehistoric Deck" (Plants+Dinosaurs) so far. Has anyone experience with it?

This smash up plays itself cool and easy. You can venus for Raptors and sprout for Stegos (or raptors). Insta Grow is just good with Dinos – each extra minion you can pull out is especially good with them. From my experience, the "Prehistoric"-Combo spits out 7 to 10 power each turn, supporting the hasty breaking of bases with some of their stronger actions. Admittedly, blossom-ing out three raptors doesnt happen too often, but when it happens, its just brutal. A Rex that insta grows behind a stego is another no-brainer.

I might not be correct on this (haven't tried out the AL9K factions with Robots yet), but so far I have not seen two factions breaking bases as quick as those in combination with each other.

Greetz from Germany,
Krokobold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Steampunk/plants vs. Pirate/aliens the other night and I got hammered! I couldn't keep a minion on a base long enough for it to be optimal. The Steampunk actions helped a bit though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.