Subject: What not to forget rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am going to my first Netrunner Tournament this weekend.
I have found in my plays with friends I tend to forget BoT(beginning of turn) things. Frequently. And I am sure tournament players are not as friendly as friends are. So I made a list of things that I am going to print out card sized and have as a crib sheet for myself.

So far I have the following things:
Do you have any income at beginning of turn?
Do you have any tokens to put out at beginning of turn?
Reset recurring credits.
Do they/you have any tags you need to deal with?
Do you want to rez anything?
Do you need to trash anything (Aesop’s Pawnshop)?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions of things to add?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remember your crib sheet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget:

* Water bottle
* Food/snacks or money to purchase said
* To have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just cautious about the crib sheet, the tourney rules specifically state no external references other than the rule book are allowed.

Would hate to see you get a DQ right off the bat for something like that. One thing I've found to be successful, is just mention that to your opponent ahead of playing that you may forget, and ask them on their feelings of the manner. This servers two purposes, lets your intent known ahead of time, so it isn't perceived as intentional, and secondly, good/bad, gives you insight in to what to expect for the next hour :/

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Clementz
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
During the game you could try taking something, like a credit token, and setting it on top of your deck. That way you remember to take actions before drawing your card for the turn. Of course, this would only work well as the corp. Remembering as the runner may still give you problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beelzeben wrote:
Did you remember your crib sheet?

No aids of any kind except official documentation/rules/faqs are permitted at the tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of this can be accomplished by simply getting in the habit of taking a breathe in before the start of your turn. Whatever you are thinking put on hold for a second and reassess the board. Then get on with the play.

I play a lot of Noise and prior to the start of my turn had a lot of actions. Practice is about the only thing that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I've found that it helps me to put my hand down on the table. It does 2 things, it makes me focus much more on what my opponent is doing. And it reminds me I need to check for beginning of turn effects before I pick it back up. Eventually you'll get to the point you do it automatically if you consciously take that step to begin with. When I come back to playing after a week or two of not doing so I try to do this to get me back in the habit of beginning of turn items. It usually comes back really quick.

Generally the big things to remember at the beginning of a runner turn are your resources. Or to renew your hardware recurring credits. So I go through those one at a time. And only if you play parasites do you currently have to worry about looking anywhere but your own board state.

As a corp, I use to forget my Pad Campaigns all the time, I started putting the credit I will get next turn on the PAD campaign then getting that one and putting an new one on it at the beginning of every turn. It seemed to help start remembering. Recurring credits can be a problem to remember to flip over but as of yet it's just a simple scan of your ID and rezzed Assets you need to worry about. Again I like to put my cards down, and not pick them up again until I am ready to actually start my turn. The card I draw is pretty much my signal everything else is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Otto
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary Creature- Human Artificer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an ex-Magic player, I have the mantra of "Untap, Upkeep, Draw" flashed into my brain's CMOS memory. I have a couple of hints that I find helpful.

Before you draw for turn, think about anything you need to "Untap." Restore recurring credits, put your click tracker back to 3/4 clicks.
Then, look for anything with an "Upkeep" trigger, like Aesop's Pawnshop or PAD campaign.
Last,"Draw" for turn. If you're the runner, this can be as simple as tapping your deck, subconsciously reminding yourself that now your turn has begun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one very strong reason to your hand on the table during the other person's turn (and during Runs)...

Nothing in your hand can affect what is happening.

I often splay it out to the right so the opponent knows exactly how many cards I have too, another piece of open information.

It lets me concentrate on what's happening.

When it's my turn, I scoop them back up and then work across my remotes and to my deck to verify complete startup before continuing with the 'draw a card'.

As Runner, I'll tend to put 'beginning of turn effects all in one place', and start in the CORP area before coming to your own to handle those out-of-sight Parasites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always forget my corp or runner ability. Dooh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
I always forget my corp or runner ability. Dooh!

Too bad they don't write those down somewhere .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget to run!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot stress this enough. Check your decks before play. In the first round of our local tournament 2 players forfeited games (that they probably would have won) when they found themselves with illegal decks.

Player 1 forgot 4 cards in his card box (2 Magnum Opus, Personal Workshop, and his solo Medium). Discovered his mistake when he used Test Run to bring out his Medium.
Player 2 had forgot to put his agendas back int the deck box from a previous play session.

I now count my cards before shuffling and I make sure all my cards on my list are in my deck prior to start of tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Count the influence you have seen to infer the contents of your oppnent's deck. I forget way to often. This is specially important for Upgrades and Icebreakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count Agenda seen. Towards the end of the game, you can infer where they are based on what you've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Cannon

Florida
msg tools
Loosen up with a beer between rounds if you get too wound up. No, seriously. Of course if there isn't anywhere within walking distance to grab something don't but our resident regional champ actually stepped out to grab a beer before finals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
No aids! so I guess my google glass is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pompadour wrote:
Loosen up with a beer between rounds if you get too wound up. No, seriously. Of course if there isn't anywhere within walking distance to grab something don't but our resident regional champ actually stepped out to grab a beer before finals.

Oh god no.

Please do not encourage people to drink during potentially stressful tournaments.

The last thing I need is an angry drunk complaining about a game play.

I've seen this at the poker table -- five players telling the blitzed person that they had lost the hand they thought they'd won (the five were correct).

Drinking has no place in a tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Pompadour wrote:

Oh god no.

Please do not encourage people to drink during potentially stressful tournaments.

I've seen this at the poker table -- five players telling the blitzed person that they had lost the hand they thought they'd won (the five were correct).

Getting drunk has no place at a tournament.
There is nothing wrong with having a drink.
Just be responsible. Don't get drunk. My bet is if they have one you probably wouldn't even notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Pompadour wrote:

Oh god no.

Just be responsible. Don't get drunk. My bet is if they have one you probably wouldn't even notice.

Who determines this?

Why risk the health and safety of everyone else at the tournament if whoever determined their limit gets it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
corkysru wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Pompadour wrote:

Oh god no.

Who determines this?

Why risk the health and safety of everyone else at the tournament if whoever determined their limit gets it wrong?

Well like most places in America.. the owner of the establishment.
If someone is being extremely belligerent/rude at a tournament(drunk or not.. unless you are implying that only drunk people should be punished for being belligerent) I would expect they were removed from the premises.

I would offer no slack to a person if they were stupid enough to misjudge their limits.

Just as I would offer no slack in a tournament to someone who had other issues due to low sugar or some such.

Follow your limits. I don't know your limits. Why should I force everyone to follow YOUR limits. I know people that can drink me under the table, stand up and still have a better reaction time than me when I am completely sober.

Point is.. don't restrict someone else from doing something just because you THINK they can't. Or that you can't. Feel free to punish them if they mess up though.
It's called being responsible for one's actions. Yeah.. a novel concept in this country but it's still one I try to enforce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not implying that only drunk people should be 'punished' for being belligerent, I am stating that while drunk, people change and are not in full control of their mental or social facilities.

The TOs and game store owners should not be put at risk because someone suggested "go out and get a drink before/during the tournament... someone on BGG said it was a good idea."

Unless you've had to deal with people unable to realize they are being belligerent while drunk, you don't know how absolutely scary it can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I am not implying that only drunk people should be 'punished' for being belligerent, I am stating that while drunk, people change and are not in full control of their mental or social facilities.

The TOs and game store owners should not be put at risk because someone suggested "go out and get a drink before/during the tournament... someone on BGG said it was a good idea."

Unless you've had to deal with people unable to realize they are being belligerent while drunk, you don't know how absolutely scary it can be.

I went to college. I have. I have also dealt with people who are just as big of assholes/just as violent SOBER. My point is. People can and might reach levels that are intolerable while sober OR drunk. A drink can calm some people's nerves. Odds are .. if you are going to one of these tournaments and getting stressed.. you are trying to win. I would think most people would not want to risk getting drunk and would know to stop at one. If they had any. Personally? I probably wouldn't have any. I find it tends to relax me too much to focus properly.
If anything I'd recommend taking your significant other with you and sneaking away in the car behind the building before the finals. But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Actually our first tourney here in Portland, Oregon (held April 20) was at Guardian Games in the back room where the beer bar is. No one grabbed a beer but it was a possibility (and frankly probably would have calmed down my spazzier play).

We regularly have a once a month Beer & Pizza Night at the store and I have yet to see someone act badly because of it.

I neither endorse nor condemn someone wanting to drink a beer or two during one of our tourneys, but then again that will probably work against them...

As for dealing with folks who are intoxicated (on alcohol or other substances), yes they can be scary. I have had my fair share. But they have been few and far between that I am not going to overreact and say, "no drinking at tourneys."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.