Popular Tags: [View All]
Slim Chabbouh
France
Savigny Sur Orge
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all !

Descent is a game inspired by Doom. Descent's monsters are known not to last that much on the field, especially when gold treasure weapons are used against them. This is not the case with Doom.

We can notice a difference in inflicting wounds between Doom and Descent :

- In Doom : wounds = damage / armor, rounded to the lowest.

- In Descent : wounds = damage - armor.

These rules differ, and I do not understand why, to my opinion that's what makes Descent monsters so fragile. Example : using a golden bow you inflicted 15 damage to a giant (quite easily done) so he takes 9 wouwnd, he dies in one shot !

Using Doom rules, the giant takes 3 damage points, and you need 3 such attacks to kill him : more challanging.

That makes me ask :

Is there a mistake in the printed rules ?

Why have the rules changed that much from Doom to Descent (I know it is not the same game, so the rules not being the same seems ok, but Doom rules seem to give more challenging monsters)

Thanks for answers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A short while ago, whilst playing DOOM, we made the mistake of doing wounds = damage-armour, which resulted in the marine taking a beating. I haven't played Descent yet, so I'm curious how this is going to pan out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, as far as my gang knows, that isn't a mistake.

DOOM had some issues with difficulty and scaling. Wilson changed the engine a bit, and out popped Descent. The engine was tweaked a few other ways as well, such that now most of the "balance" issues tend to really be about individual scenario design, rather than the engine.

So, yup, Damage-Armour=Wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Descent, not everybody plays the same "character". In doom, you play the same character with the same stats, except each has two unique skills.

In Descent, not only do you have three unique skills, but you also have a unique power, differing power dice values on different attack types, different speed values, and yes, you guessed it, different armour values.

This is a big deal when comparing the two systems.
The armour values on Heroes in Descent ranges from 0 to 3, with armours themselves adding to that a value ranging between 1 and 4.

Hence the armour value can vary in a range between 0 and 7. (I believe; I don't have the game in front of me.)

If you use the division method, firstly you can cause division by zero.
But also, you can have heroes immune to damage. Monsters would deal only 1 wound when dealing 8-13 damage...

Hence, the subtraction method, with higher ranges of damage available. And then, of course, health values have been adjusted to reflect this. Some characters have 16 health, and with skills can exceed 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.