Brent Hampton
msg tools
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent-second...

So this new FAQ comes out while our group is in the middle of doing Castle Daerion, and now we're starting it all over because as a whole the group wants to (all disagreements seem to end up as a 4 against 1 against me cause I'm the overlord). Understandably it was a bit tough, so although I'm upset about having to refund what would have been an assured victory, I do understand.
What's really getting me is the gimping of the overlord cards. I had already planned on going down the Warlord spec for various reasons, then they totally shoot these cards in the knee caps and make them next to useless choices. Let me lay it out for you:

Bloodlust: now allows the overlord to draw only two cards when defeating a hero on top of the already assumed 1 card. (instead of original card being 1 per hero)
Sure an extra two cards seems nice enough until you consider that if you had not had "bloodlust" in your deck then you would have already had one different card in your hand in its place form the beginning and would not have to wait to use it. So, effectively you are only gaining one extra card. And you only can get that extra card if and when you defeat a hero. A level two card that gives you the advantage of only one bonus card and even then it's a maybe? what's up with that? There's level one cards that give you a free card WHEN THEY FAIL.

Reinforce: A level 3 that gives you a measly minion monster IF there is a master monster, and IF it doesn't exceed the group limit, AND it comes in at the end of the overlords turn so it'll likely get destroyed by the 4 heroes before you can even use it...Did I mention that this is a level 3 card?

Changes my whole specing plan and makes these cards next to useless. *hangs head in disappointment.

I can't be the only one that sees how stupid these cards are now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Since these changes happened mid-campaign, I'd think you could convince your group to let you re-spec.

Agreed, they all received some pretty substantial nerfs. I don't know yet from experience how that affects things in the big picture, but if you were having trouble as Overlord before, you'll have even more trouble now, I'd think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last two campaigns (granted, mini-campaign from Lair) I've been playing without even dipping into the Warlord deck, so can't say the OL card erratas will affect me as I've been sorta looking to not use the Warlord cards at all. Frenzy + Bloodrage on an Act II master Shadow Dragon = party-wipe and that still hasn't changed. Reinforce was stupid good, though perhaps taken down a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fairmont
msg tools
I 100% agree.

The last expansion (and this upcoming one seems) to buff the heroes.
And every errata nerfs the OL.

The OL is not only harder to play with each new rule / change,
it's also less fun.

Also..

They already make conditions on the players usless by giving the healers a 1 exp ability that removes conditions as a non action from any hero.
Now they actually saying the heroes are allowed to move WHILE immobilized.
Tho they have to use some other ability other then a move action to do it, cuz you know, the heroes don't have any of those....

And the nerfing of the move rules on large monsters. The new rule means you have to move adjacent to the hero BEFORE expanding,
before you can declare an attack on them. No more moving one square, expanding to reach the hero 2 squares away, attack, shrink and run 3 squares away.
While I agree it's a cheesy tactic, it's far less powerful then 90% of what the heroes can do with abusing
(yes I said abusing >< ) stamina to move and attack twice and then stamina away.

They need to start catering to the OL VERY soon, or people will stop playing there game cuz no one wants to be OL anymore. It's already down to pulling straws in our game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify and point out a thing or two.

#1: Reinforce (while yes, majorly nerfed) lets you place all minions from the monster group, respecting group limits. Yes, you get "a measly minion monster" if your monster group consists of only one master and one minion, otherwise, you can place however many minions you get to place.

Mostly, Reinforce was nerfed because it let you autowin certain quests.

#2: Someone mentioned how 'now' immobilize suddenly lets heroes use movement not granted by move actions. This isn't a 'now' or 'sudden' thing. It has always worked this way. Even the card specifically says it affects move actions and fatigue movement. Nowhere on the card does it say you cannot move at all, nor does it say you cannot gain movement points in other ways.

---

All that said, I do agree that the nerf to bloodlust was a bit odd. Instead of drawing between 3-5 cards by using it, you just draw 3. That change just doesn't make sense... how was bloodlust so broken by allowing you to draw 3 cards against 3 heroes and 4 cards against 4 heroes?

Also the same with unholy ritual. Instead of the card scaling for 3-4 heroes, it simply stays at the 2-hero mark.

The large monster movement addendum is kinda meh, I can take it or leave it. All it really does is nerf the extra movement gained by interrupting and expanding, which was kinda broken to begin with. You can still take advantage of expanding at the end of movement, just not during it, like you could before to gain extra squares on top of extra squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you look trough "Adam sez" thread there were countless questions about immobilize and all before-update answers boiled down to the thing they now CLARIFIED in the update.

With unholy ritual in many encounters our overlord had all cards from the deck in his hand by 2nd turn, using it on big groups that didn't need to move yet. He had good starting point for 1st encounter and there was never a time he wouldn't start 2nd encounter with all his cards in hand.

Seeing how large monsters usually were the only thing to go because of reinforce mechanics and movement mechanics now small monsters might get little more love. It's not as if they suddenly became useless or something.

Overall I don't feel much nerfed. But if you were on warlord class and had bbloodlust, reinforce, or had magus unholy ritual(s) you might ask your heroes to let you respec if you believe other cards OL can get are now better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Ljunggren
Sweden
Västra Frölunda
västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When i just read it now i got i another way. That you may draw 2 cards, in addition to the normal 1. Doesn't that mean you get 3 cards in total? For bloodlust.

And the reinforce is that if you have a master monster, you may place as many minion monsters you can, respecting group limits. Not just one.

Hope I'm doing this right, never posted before and using my BF's account I think ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palewind
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Warlord cards needed to be toned down, realistically, it was the only logical choice. Hopefully this brings them into line with the other OL classes.

Reinforce was way too powerful & as has been noted, it can be used to circumnavigate certain quests to the OL's advantage.

Castle Daerion has been rebalanced and, having played almost all the quests, this one was the only one we felt was massively in favor of one team or another.

In clarifying the Large monster movement they have simplified things a lot and taken some of the ridiculous free-movement and potential to negate hero abilities that require adjacency. Personally, I'm in favor of this change.

The next expansion is going to add 15 basic OL cards and my hope is that this will give the OL further options to customize the deck from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elite six
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus, you always get a card when you defeat a Hero.

The question is how many _extra_ cards does bloodlust let you draw.

Put it this way.

You don't have Bloodlust. You defeat a hero. +1 Card.

You have Bloodlust. You defeat a hero and play Bloodlust. +2 Cards from Bloodlust, +1 Card (hero defeat), -1 Card for playing Bloodlust, net gain of +2 Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.