Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Which one more interesting and fun to play?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mapiu2001 wrote:

Which one more interesting and fun to play?

Thanks.

But are fun, very simple, and can easily fall prey to whoever gets the best dice. Still, I enjoy playing them when the timing is right.
And I preferred Shiloh. There's a tad more "complexity" in it that makes it rise slightly above the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and prefer Shiloh. A wider area of the board can be fought over with more strategic options in terms of pressing on the flanks or assaulting the victory point high ground or a combination of the two and how this pressure can effect the other player who then becomes stretched.

The way that the card deck is structured to show how initially the Union were caught by surprise and took a while to re-act is inspired, good feel here but without any rules overhead for getting that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Norman, nice to run into you on this forum!

I've played both games and would tend to agree with Norman that Shiloh is slightly more complex with wide swings in predicting victories. Initially, the South has a tremendous advantage with its 8 strategy cards and 4 action dice against the Union's 1 card and 2 action dice BUT ONLY IF you know how to be agreesive.

The trick is to know how to maximize fantastic rolls or mitigate abysmal dice performance. You do this by making sure you don't run out of cards and knowing when to play them.

Having played and won as the Union forces I found it best to play defensively and keep collecting cards so you get quickly get Grant on the board for his leadership abilities. By playing defenseively by stationing your troops on hills and encourgaing Union forces to attack you when you have 6 combat dice at your disposal, you have a favorable advantage of being firts to parry first in all combat resolutions. Don't spread out too thin. Consolidate your positions. It's also important to take advanage of your cavalry charges when you being faced by less than 6 combat dice.

In my game, the South took so many damages over a course of 10 turns that when it came down to driving my Union troops along their right flank, there was very little the Confederates could do in stopping me from reaching my target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.