Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through this geeklist, there are only 5 games on here that break into the top 1000 games on BGG.

Love Letter (Rank 244)
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (Rank 302)
No Thanks! (Rank 315)
Coup (Rank 773)
Pickomino (Rank 799)

The rest are all well below that, and while BGG ranking doesn't ultimately tell you how good a game really is, it does raise the question about if a successful "Microgame" can be anything but a game of deduction or press your luck. Maybe someone can combine the two and break the top 100?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it twice but Pixel Tactics is microgame like and its not a deduction or PYL game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks! uses a deck of cards and a lot of tokens. If that's a microgame, a ton of other card games in the top 1000 are microgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Microgames typically have no more than 12ish cards and as few extra tokens as possible (Love Letter is a great metric to measure the game against as far as whether or not it's micro).

Pixel Tactics definitely isn't a microgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12 cards would push out Love Letter and Coup, which are the two that are causing all of the ruckus right now. There was some discussion in the precursor thread about "what really makes a microgame" which of course did not have a final answer. The general concept that people are following based off of Love Letter and Coup is 18 cards or less and a handful of tokens, although Coup uses 30 tokens.

By those definitions, that would take Pickomino and No Thanks! off this list, and leave just 3 role deduction games. Apparently gamers really like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skittykitts uses 21 business card-sized cards. I consider it a micro game. Regardless, thee following GeekList may be of interest: What is a Microgame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if these are still considered microgames but they certainly fit the bill:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/6256/metagaming-mic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
shanniganz wrote:
12 cards would push out Love Letter and Coup, which are the two that are causing all of the ruckus right now. There was some discussion in the precursor thread about "what really makes a microgame" which of course did not have a final answer. The general concept that people are following based off of Love Letter and Coup is 18 cards or less and a handful of tokens, although Coup uses 30 tokens.

By those definitions, that would take Pickomino and No Thanks! off this list, and leave just 3 role deduction games. Apparently gamers really like that!

Coup has 50 coins and 6 large players aids as well. I get the idea of micro games, and think it fits but still it has a lot more components than love letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hot microgames are deduction or press your luck because those can be played by a lot more people than, let's say strategy microgames.

Also, there is no clear definition of microgames. It is different for every company, so if you are submitting a microgame to a company, best to find out what their definition is. But in general, small, pocket sized is a micro game. Regardless of what its made of (cards, dice, bits, etc).

For example, we wanted to submit one of the microgames that we're making to Level 99's next minigame library, but we don't fit their criteria.

So we're making our own microgame library. We have 3 micro games right now. Each game is about 16-18 cards. All the games use the same 10 dice, split into 2 colors. And we're working on a fourth.

But all of our games are strategy so they won't be as popular since not everyone wants to think much when playing games.

Oh, and Pixel Tactics is a mini game, according to Level 99 anyway. I think it's the size of a standard deck of cards? Not sure as I haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are literally tons of different microgames out there of every type and description, alot of them published.

Wargames
Dungeon Crawlers
Survival
Exploration
etc.

Ogre, Car Wars, Awful Green Things, Starfire, Intruder, and so many many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Would you consider
(PnP) Strike, Feint, Riposte! v1.0 (5-way RPS with a twist)

The basic version of that game uses a base set of 26 cards, each player gets 10, and the rest are discarded.

It's not a top-1000 ... then again it's not published either, lol! But it's neither Deduction nor Push Your Luck ... (wait ... is Rock Paper Scissors just instinct and luck?)

Would you consider
(LittleBox) InterPlanetary War (A quick space navy war game for 1 to 4 players; 8-15 mins)

The basic 2 player version of that game uses a set of 27 cards and 2 dice. And again, neither Deduction nor Push Your Luck, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certainly other games designed in small packages that could be considered "microgames" that don't utilize those two mechanisms. The question was more of a hypothetical "Can any of them see the same popularity as the five I listed?"

It's obvious that microgames aren't really a new thing based on the entries in the linked geeklist alone, yet very few of them see the same wide-spread acceptance/appeal as the deduction games have lately. There is another microgame that has gotten a little bit of a buzz in the designer circles from Daniel Solis called Suspense that is also a deduction game.

So really, I'm not sure that the community is intrigued by microgames, but instead by games of deduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm mad for micro games! Deduction isn't a necessary feature for me.. Have you seen this?

minimal versions of boardgames on playable POSTCARDS that aren't wargames with a sheet of tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.