Rodd Closson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I am sitting on 4 TIE Advanced ships. I have only opened one. I look at the pilots, abilities, and costs, and it seems hard to justify such a ship beyond Vader.

Do any of your have thoughts on TIE Advanced? Strength? Are they worth their weight? What kind of build are they optimal with? Worth having more than one?

Just curious on everyone else's thoughts as I have only see Vader do alright. The rest seem to be lackluster. But, I don't want to immediately pass judgement. At the same time I don't know if A-Wings are all that hot either and worth having more than 2. The builds that feature 3+ seem to be one trick ponies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just think about putting 4 A-wings with assalt missiles against those damn ties swarms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Vader is the only reason to use a TIE Advanced. Prior to wave 2, this may not have been the case, but now with the Slave I and Interceptors there are better uses of points. Also with the wave 3 announcement right around the corner I'd at least hold off until then before buying another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have four, and I went into it eyes open. But yes, they really do currently suck, except for Vader. Even the upgrades don't give a reason to have more: Squad Leader is a unique!

But the key word is "currently." It really would only take a single upgrade/pilot card release to make them worthwhile.

(Also, I like the way a squadron of four of them looks on the table, but I'm a nerd that way.)

A-wings are in the same sinking boat, just not in steerage. For one, they're very fun to fly, like TIE/Ins, and unlike boring-ass TIE/Adv. ("So ... I have the maneuverability of an X-wing, but the weak-sauce laser cannons of a TIE? How can I turn that down?!") For two, they have a really good upgrade card (PTL), and two decent pilots. Again, I have four, but I made the choice consciously.

And, again, future upgrade/pilot cards could make them hawt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gugadin wrote:
just think about putting 4 A-wings with assalt missiles against those damn ties swarms.

Pretty sure that's close to exactly what Rodd meant by "one trick ponies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My Kessel Run squad used two, and I've since come up with a couple of other ways to use them. Basically you want one for Vader, and maybe another one for messing around, but you don't need four.

One major problem with TIE Advanced in Wave 1 was that they have close to the same offense as a TIE Fighter, at nearly twice the cost. Their durability is also nearly twice that of a TIE Fighter, but because the game weights offense more than defense, the trade-off doesn't usually work to your advantage. You can supplement their offense using missiles, but (without some external support, anyway) those aren't very cost-effective either. Now that Wave 2 is out, they have additional problems due to tougher competition for the squad points. You can buy a TIE Interceptor with a Stealth Device for the same cost as a Tempest Squadron Pilot; the Interceptor will last almost as long, and it has the potential for a lot more damage.

Vader himself, though, has held up pretty well. Maarek is also an acceptable missile carrier, with reasonably high pilot skill and the ability to take PTL or Deadeye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also picked up four TIE Advanced, and face roughly the same problem. These and the four Y-Wings I got hardly hit the table much because of how difficult they are to pull off and attack the enemy.

I think what really hurts the TIE Advanced (along with the Y-Wing), are the lack of generic pilots with elite talent. The A-Wings have Green Squadron pilots which you could at least get some more latitude of customizing with. Not so with the T-Ax1.

I mean, if you threw on something like Elusiveness you have a resilient TIE fighter that might last long enough to do some harm. Or something like Deadeye, or Draw their Fire.

I hope FFG would consider either print-on-release pilot backs or something to give us better pilot cards for the Y-Wing and TIE Advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zach hacz
United States
ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
I learnd the art of sudection from James Brown in a hot tub.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Steele with some sort of missile (perferbly cluster) against the big ships. Two chances(again using cluster) to get a crit and getting to chose which nastyness you get to deal out. And depending who your wingmen are like vader with squad leader or howlrunner, can improve the odds. I'd say keep two on the off chance you ever want to field a vader steele combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Martin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Having four gives you the opportunity to make a scenario of it, play mirror matches of Vader, Steele against themselves but not much else. But you have those options.

As you have three that aren't opened, you could always make a tournament event with your friends and give one or two as prizes. Or sell them on eBay now as they are scarce due to shortage at retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fredderf wrote:
(perferbly cluster)

If you do this, you should seriously consider running Marksmanship as well.

fredderf wrote:
And depending who your wingmen are like vader with squad leader or howlrunner, can improve the odds.

Unfortunately, Howlrunner's ability only works with primary weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they could get pilot upgrades, it would be a different world.

As it is, they can use missiles. I recently bought a 2nd Tie Advanced just a as a missile boat. It's otherwise like a Tie Fighter....with shields. That's not a bad thing. I am really starting to think that missiles are where it's at in Wave 2. Everyone loves the big ships and taking them out early cripples your opponent. Nothing strips shields better than missiles. Also, if I play against enemy Tie, they usually have a Tie Advanced. I've found waiting for the right moment and shooting my missiles at them can take them down well.

Maarek Steele will also find more use in Wave 2. How many people DON'T use big ships these days? His crit ability can really hurt them. I'm hearing people talk about the 2 Falcon lists as "The" new list. Using Maarek will give anyone but Chewbacca a hard time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.