Hide
5 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Post-Combat Influence Placing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian D
msg tools
The combat phase rules state: "At the end of the Combat Phase, if you have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, re­move the previous controller’s Influence Disc (returning it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there."

My question is: Does the Combat Phase still trigger if no actual combat occurs? i.e. If not ships enter battle with each other. If after the action round there is no ship battle, but I have a ship in an empty hex, can I place an influence there? Or if I have a ship in an unpopulated opponent-influenced hex can I swap it to my own? Or does the combat phase get skipped over if you don't actually fight any other ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrakis328 wrote:
The combat phase rules state: "At the end of the Combat Phase, if you have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, re­move the previous controller’s Influence Disc (returning it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there."

My question is: Does the Combat Phase still trigger if no actual combat occurs? i.e. If not ships enter battle with each other. If after the action round there is no ship battle, but I have a ship in an empty hex, can I place an influence there? Or if I have a ship in an unpopulated opponent-influenced hex can I swap it to my own? Or does the combat phase get skipped over if you don't actually fight any other ships.

Yes, yes, yes and no.

The 'combat phase' is a phase in the round sequence, and it takes place even if no actual combat happens. Removing opponent discs after the combat phase is not contingent on you having won a battle in the system, and neither is placing your own discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arrakis328 wrote:

There's always a combat phase, even if no combat occurs.

Per the rulebook, page 8:

Quote:
The game round consists of these four phases:

action phase Players take actions clockwise, one action at a time

combat phase Battles are resolved and sectors conquered

upkeep phase Civilization Upkeep costs are paid and Resources produced

cleanup phase Players move Influence Discs from the action spaces back to their Influence Track and new Technology Tiles are drawn

Since the rules specifically say "Also, if at the end of the Combat PHASE your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there." as well as the rule for removing opponent discs (all from p21 of the rules), the answer is "yes, you get to remove your opponent's disc and take the hex if you're so inclined."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arrakis328 wrote:
My question is: Does the Combat Phase still trigger if no actual combat occurs?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
msg tools
Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure we were playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.