Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when I pledged $800+ to SMG: Red Devils, I knew exactly what I was getting from LBG. Great fun equal many times that amount. What I didn't realize was it made me confident to use Kickstarter for the first time.

"Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!"

I've lately found myself tempted to buy games I'd never even play just for the cool extra swag, lol.

Is there a Kickstarter Anonymous?

"Hello, I'm Curtis, and I'm a Kickstarter-Holic. My story began with pledging $90 for SMG: Red Devils..."

Anybody else have this happen?

I even gave $1.00 to the Veronica Mars Movie project just so I could say I backed a record-breaking project. blush

Sails of Glory
Myst
Heroes of Normandie
Machine of Death
Dungeon Roll
Dragon Whisperer
Dragon's Hoard
Geek Dice
Small World 2
Hunter's Guild
Galaxy Defenders

Where will it end?!?!?! cry

The horror! Oh well, I guess last year's golf clubs will have to do this year as well, lol.

And I was doing so well avoiding KS, until a company I trust (LBG), started a project I had to have (SMG: Red Devils), and kept adding cool must-have add-ons (Custom Sergeants? Hooyah!).

I even avoided pledging to help a couple of friends who had a project to send them to an out-of-state Game CON. (Mostly because I looked at their KS with the same disdain I do folks who hold out, "Veteran - Please Help - God Bless" signs near malls all day then drive off in their BMW at the end of the day having never served - or worked - a day in their life, with their tax-free "earnings" they just conned folks out of). shake

Please, tell me I'm not alone in getting sucked into KS game projects for cool extras?

Or am I alone in my newfound KS addiction? Curse you Red Devils, curse you!

Until they ship, then bless them my preciousssssss! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's a lot of games. You have to be a little careful with backing projects on Kickstarter as there have been a number of failures or projects whose end result is in doubt.

-Katalyka which is massively delayed due to the owner of the project being batshit crazy (literally, check out her updates talking about plasma entity attacks and her conversations with the sun).

-Up Front/Airborne in Your Pocket whose publisher is currently being sued due to defaulting on multiple loans. They currently have over $260,000 held in court Escrow and the suit is for over $300,000 plus legal fees (which are mounting).

-Glory to Rome Black Box which was over a year late and many backers didn't receive all of their rewards or even their copy of the game (they likely never will as the creator lost his house, has no more copies of the game, and is broke).

-Ogre will probably be a year or more late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The preceding OP is meant to be tongue-in-cheek fun of a bored guy on a slow Friday afternoon. I am in no way making light of any addictions, nor am I really blaming SMG: Red Devils for mine.

I'm just pointing out that it was the first KS amazing enough to get me to open my wallet, and have since been having difficulty completely closing it.

All was meant in good humor and this is an entertainment only thread. Not meant for serious discussion. Those who may have serious addictions, please seek help. Your friends here and nearer you need you. Stay sober, sane, and safe. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Wow that's a lot of games. You have to be a little careful with backing projects on Kickstarter as there have been a number of failures or projects whose end result is in doubt.

Yeah, the only ones I spent real money on are from established companies I trust...

LBG - SMG: RD
Ares Games - Sails of Glory, Galaxy Defenders
Mercs Miniatures - Myth (I'm one of their Black Ops Demo guys)
Days of Wonder - Small World 2

Or games by folks who have a track record for successfully fulfilling other KS projects...

Machine of Death
Dragon Whisperer
Dungeon Roll

The others I'll admit I'm taking a risk on. Here are my reasons...

Geek Dice - Finished Product samples looked great, and not a large investment.
Hunter's Guild - Looks too fun to pass up. Small investment, worth risk.
Dragon's Hoard - Unique play mechanic and idea. Took a risk here as I pledged for some of the art as well. Reaaly hope this one works out.
Heroes of Normandie - WWII subject matter, gameplay videos show rules which are intuitive and light (beer & pretzel boardgame) with fantastic components and what appears to be tactical depth. While these guys are brand new to KS, the fact Paolo Parente, a very well-known name in miniature gaming circles (AT-43, Dust), is allowing them to use his Dust IP for a stretch goal, gives me confidence they're good guys. One of them was 2iC on Dust Tactics. And they created the Frontiers game. So while I'm taking a chance on them, ~ $300 worth, I think I'm safe. Paolo is a great guy, and he had nothing but praise to give these guys.

Most of them outside SMG: RD, SoG, Myth, and HoN, were/are light pledges. Those three I spent or will spend some coin on for sure. (SMG: RD by far the most, lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Please, tell me I'm not alone in getting sucked into KS game projects for cool extras?

Page 1 of this geeklist has all the kickstarters I've backed to far this year. You are not alone.

Boardgame Bunker Baubles - My 2013 game acquisitions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dube
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooo than what do you Guy's think of the Galaxie Defenders on Kikstarter is it from a thrusted compagny ??
cause i don't know them ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Fraser
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know the feeling, good thing my wife is not aware of my post (hope she's not reading this too)

I started smotthly on Kickstarter but became addicted! I mean totally blush

Here are my pledges

Dungeon Roll - A Dicey Dungeon Delve
Zombicide: Season 2 (this one cost me lot)
Rocket Dice (simply because they look cool)
Impact & Super Scratch Resistant Screen Protectors (not a game)
Eminent Domain: Escalation aka "ED:E"
Underground Lasers 28mm Modular Terrain
Tablescapes - by Secret Weapon Miniatures
Battle Worlds: Kronos - Turn-based strategy revisited

Cheers all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magedelanuit wrote:
Hooo than what do you Guy's think of the Galaxie Defenders on Kikstarter is it from a thrusted compagny ??
cause i don't know them ??

Ares Games is producing it for them, so I'd say they're trustworthy. Ares took over Wings of War, renaming it Wings of Glory. They just ran a pretty successful Kickstarter, Sails of Glory. I bought into that one and have pledged modestly for Galaxy Defenders. Mostly because the tag line for the xenomorph alien, "On earth, everyone can hear you scream!" made me lol for real, and I had to explain what I just read to my coworkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis,

You ARE an addict...your friend, Jim

I do have to admit that KS can be pretty addictive. Especially as you watch/track the stretch goals and pledges...I've switched to Manhattans to help curb the addiction and now am on maintenance. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow4ce wrote:
charlest wrote:

Yeah, the only ones I spent real money on are from established companies I trust...

LBG - SMG: RD
Ares Games - Sails of Glory, Galaxy Defenders
Mercs Miniatures - Myth (I'm one of their Black Ops Demo guys)
Days of Wonder - Small World 2

Or games by folks who have a track record for successfully fulfilling other KS projects...

Machine of Death
Dragon Whisperer
Dungeon Roll

The others I'll admit I'm taking a risk on. Here are my reasons...

Geek Dice - Finished Product samples looked great, and not a large investment.
Hunter's Guild - Looks too fun to pass up. Small investment, worth risk.
Dragon's Hoard - Unique play mechanic and idea. Took a risk here as I pledged for some of the art as well. Reaaly hope this one works out.
Heroes of Normandie - WWII subject matter, gameplay videos show rules which are intuitive and light (beer & pretzel boardgame) with fantastic components and what appears to be tactical depth. While these guys are brand new to KS, the fact Paolo Parente, a very well-known name in miniature gaming circles (AT-43, Dust), is allowing them to use his Dust IP for a stretch goal, gives me confidence they're good guys. One of them was 2iC on Dust Tactics. And they created the Frontiers game. So while I'm taking a chance on them, ~ $300 worth, I think I'm safe. Paolo is a great guy, and he had nothing but praise to give these guys.

Most of them outside SMG: RD, SoG, Myth, and HoN, were/are light pledges. Those three I spent or will spend some coin on for sure. (SMG: RD by far the most, lol).

UNTIL 10 years ago I controlled my gaming mainly Board Wargaming via natural forces , money, raising 3 boys single handed, time as before and being in the UK and most of publishers that fuelled my gaming were US based. I dabbled with a UK based company that produced Space Crusade etc and the boys loved mini based games.

Then the internet, vassal (I am a dab hand with SW and HW having developed many business applications) and a friend into Ancient miniatures Wargaming. Kids grown or almost grown , mainly single more comfortable money wise as the eldest two finish uni and make their own way. Still I keep it controlled and then more fresh blood joins our gaming group playing Ameritrash and euros. The internet shows me new systems I start buying on top of the regular GMT, LnL, DVG games.. FFG at first Tide of Iron, then Battlestar Galactica , Lost Battles .. the costs are soaring I am easily attracted by a series of good video reviews the game system ..

LOTR LCG I love the theme, my eldest plays Magic at a high level (something he learnt at Uni) so themed card games were not new to me and PRE Uni we came across Netrunner so its probably my fault not Uni. I started to have games I loved and played socially e.g. more than just solo or one on one, descent 2 , Arkham Horror.. 4 plays and they had paid for themselves vs a sports match ,film or a gig (well half a play). I had more great games than time to play and they aren't just variations on a system they were different and focussed properly on different challenges. I stopped just occasionally dipping ...phew....

Then SMG, now I played miniatures but generally apart from GW's Lotr ,warhammer and wizzkids mechwarrior which were more family purchases, my friends supplied the big armies for the ancients battles. So MINIS, New game systems, tiles for maps, cards, diceless , painted minis, WW2.. I took the plunge and bought into SMG easily the most I had spent on one game and probably in one year. I probably went to soon but I don't regret it.

It lowered the bar for spend and then came KS. I have 6 on the go Agents of Smersh delivered,Red Devils, UP front ,Zpocalypse and others ..waiting..waiting

So Chris I am in these boat and stint healthy money wise or time wise or stress wise. I have noticed the apple effect style over substance a few good features and they take off. The until recently istuff was provably sound quality wise inferior to say creative or archos and definitely value wise but that didn't stop people buying in. I have noticed this ointment KS. Also when the mist clears the games are often as cheap through normal channel and the KS promos aren't that critical or often that exclusive.

It seems to have replaced P500 for funding , money up front and unless you are an established company within image protect then no risk for the seller but big risk for buyer..money tied up for a year what if its just style.. what it isn't realised....

I took control and soon after RD let some go . if they didnt tick all boxes.. rules reviews, component , scenarios no mater the hype. War Stories looked great but it seemed from the videos a but skimpy, the minis were only as extras and there were many things unanswered. Similar story for others I became picky and as each was funded without me I felt the attraction of bright pretty things diminish.

I am still tempted but now I really study them, I don't need any more games , oh I am happy to expand what I have be it World at War, Fields of Fire, SMG so these are often reaction purchases although I am learning to be picky even here.

Current temptations are:-

Myth and the whole KS campaign and information is so good as well as a theme I enjoy and it will go down a storm with the younger and older guys at the gaming nights. Chris help me out here is there deph campaign gameply or is it just a skirmish take on Dungeon Command, Wrath Of A, Mage / Sumoner wars..

The other one is Heroes of Normandie at first it seemed a bit too tounge in cheek for me and expensive value for money wise but the rewards have changed that. I am till being cautious so any thoughts and how well will it play 4 up or solo?

What I probably need is a good woman that also enjoys the hobby and limits my appetites. Now thats an Idea I could KS a Gaming dating site....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:

I am still tempted but now I really study them, I don't need any more games , oh I am happy to expand what I have be it World at War, Fields of Fire, SMG so these are often reaction purchases although I am learning to be picky even here.

Starman54 wrote:
Current temptations are:-

Myth and the whole KS campaign and information is so good as well as a theme I enjoy and it will go down a storm with the younger and older guys at the gaming nights. Chris help me out here is there deph campaign gameply or is it just a skirmish take on Dungeon Command, Wrath Of A, Mage / Sumoner wars..

First off, it's Curtis, not Chris.

Second, I've (somewhat surprisingly) never played Dungeon Command, Wrath Of A, Mage / Sumoner wars. So I have no basis to answer that part of your query.

I can say this though...

Myth will be awesome! The three guys running it are brilliant, very approachable and tactical. The artist, Keith, is phenominally talented. Their flagship product,MERCS, is very unique - sort of 5-on-5 skirmish where if you don't use real-world tactics and your opponent does, you're gonna get ROFL-Stomped. From having watched the videos and what little insiders knowledge I can garner, I think Myst is best described as this...

If you liked the arcade game, "Guantlet" you'll love Myth!

As far as components go, everything they make is of the highest quality and their minis have nearly zero flash or mold lines. They are as a whole, the most dynamically posed minis I've ever seen (Keith's artistic influence - basically if he can draw it they can and will sculpt it).

Starman54 wrote:
The other one is Heroes of Normandie at first it seemed a bit too tounge in cheek for me and expensive value for money wise but the rewards have changed that. I am till being cautious so any thoughts and how well will it play 4 up or solo?

For me, this one hits just the right amount of tongue-in-cheekiness.
Heroes of Normandie Rules Excerpt wrote:

2.5 Deployment
Once the initiative is determined (defined by the scenario, or by any other technique you like), you can deploy your troops in the zones defined by the chosen scenario. Deploy infantry units so that the side depicting their name in white is face-up. If the name is white on both sides, you can choose which side is face-up. It is not advisable to deploy your vehicles in their destroyed state.

They have a demo you can download, as well as the full rules.

Heroes of Normandie Rules and Demo Kit (French & English)

It appears you can play 4-player in teams, although a number of folks have suggested they'll try 3-player with someone playing the Cthulu add-on forces (Not a big draw for me, but my oldest loves Arkham Horror and will want to try it whenever she is home from University). More than 4, you'll definitely want more map-boards.

Solo? I think I recall seeing something about that, but it may just be Myth which I'm recalling (Myth will definitely release a PDF for solo rules). On HoN, I have no idea of solo suitability for sure at this point, which brings us to...

Starman54 wrote:
What I probably need is a good woman that also enjoys the hobby and limits my appetites. Now thats an Idea I could KS a Gaming dating site....

Easily the best decision I ever made! My wife is an avid gamer (prefers boardgames and RPGs). We'll have been happily married for 25 years this August.

We'd planned for years to go to GenCon for our 25th anniversary and take our girls with us (As a gamer family, there's no way we could leave them behind). Unfortunately, neither of them will be able to make it (oldest is going to be nearing completion of a research project her and her professor were awarded a highly contested Federal Grant for, and the youngest will be reporting for Cross-Country team practice as a new freshman at Uni). Knowing this, my wife told me to use our money we had set aside for the family GenCon trip to buy all-in on the SMG: Red Devils. While our daughters being unable to attend GenCon makes the sacrifice less than it would otherwise appear, it was still a very magnanimous gesture on her part.

Golf being our other passion, she'll be getting a new golf cart for Mother's Day this year, and probably new clubs for our Anniversary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis, tablet auto corrected. OK Myth looks like it would be great for the gaming group. My eldest likes AH as well so maybe and he is on a break from his research PHD (he is a geneticist) with that background I kept him away from Earth Reborn, so not sure about HoN, Chula might draw him in and then I will have no choice.

Congrats on 25 years and a great choice. Not one I made first time round still she got the house and I got the kids so it worked out well in the end. My youngest mum passed when he was 5 and she did like traditional board games. He is 15 now and only plays games if it has minis or its a family night and his big brothers join in. So even if I don't go for HoN I will take your advice on Myth and a partner into gaming.

I think I blew a chunk of youngest's Uni fund on RD and other KS in the last year.. the sacrifices our kids are making to fund our habit. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:

I think I blew a chunk of youngest's Uni fund on RD and other KS in the last year.. the sacrifices our kids are making to fund our habit. whistle

Ah yes, priorities ... You obviously have have them well in in hand
Need to keep PaPa happy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Jerry - Got bored and waded through the 1.175 comments on HoN KS.

Found where the creators confirmed (twice) there would be a solo rules PDF after the KS ends. They'll post it here on BGG and start a thread where the community can give feedback on making it the best it can be.

Also, one of the optional add-ons is an extra set of Wooden Order Tokens and cloth storage bags for 4 player.

So, I can assuredly confirm solo to 4 player will be capable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.