Victory in the Pacific» Forums » Variants

Subject: No Surprise Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cassandra Harbinger
United States
California
flag msg tools
In this variant we see the difficulties the Japanese would have had without an attack a surprise attack.

All rules are the same with the following exceptions.

One, There is no Surprise Attack. All movement and combat takes place normally.

Two, All IJN ships begin in Japan.

Three, The Prince of Wales and Repulse begin in Singapore, and the 5th AF starts in the Philippines.

Four, The Revenge and Hermes begin in Ceylon.

Five, The Lexington, Enterprise, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Chicago, Portland, Astoria, Salt Lake City, Northampton, and Chester begin at Pearl Harbor.

Six, The Louisville and Pensacola begin in Samoa.

Seven, the game is 8 Turns long.

Victory Conditions.

The Japanese win is they have a more POC then the Allies on Turn 8.

The Allies win is they have a higher POC and have control of Japan.

Any other result is a draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try this the next time I get a chance to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, this does sound like an interesting variant. Perhaps in this variant, the Japanese "battleship admirals" held sway, Yamamoto resigned before the war started, and the war started like the Americans imagined it would with Plan Orange. I will try this some day!

By the way - to the OP - have you played this variant? If so, what was the outcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hall
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting indeed, I think I will try to persuade my next opponent to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Cassandra's rules 2 & 7 are not changes. Rules 4, 5, and 6 are in the NT1 variant. Her rule 3 is in a further variant, NT1b. For the full descriptions, see John Pack's VITP website gameaholics.com. IMHO NT1 is better than Cassandra's idea since I don't think the Japanese would have started the war without trying to neutralize the US Pacific Fleet first. But what the heck, give it a try.

Just for giggles, here's a variant I thought up but have never tested. No rules are changed except the length and victory conditions. POC are irrelevant. The game is 9 turns. The Allies win if they simultaneously hold: Pearl Harbor, Samoa, Australia, Ceylon and Japan. They also win by simultaneously controlling all bases and ports on the board except Japan, and all 13 sea areas. The Japanese win if they hold simultaneously: Japan, Truk, and Saigon plus any three of Pearl Harbor, Samoa, Australia, Singapore, or Ceylon. If neither wins an automatic victory by the end of turn 9, the Japanese win.

This can be combined with any variant, like NT1, that changes the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cassandraharbinger wrote:
the 5th AF starts in the Philippines.

As long as the Allied player doesn't forget to deploy it, it doesn't matter where the 5th AF starts, it can end up anywhere except the Japanese Islands and the Marshall Islands.

Quote:
Five, The Lexington, Enterprise, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Chicago, Portland, Astoria, Salt Lake City, Northampton, and Chester begin at Pearl Harbor.

Are you still rolling for groups Y and Z, or just placing them as automatic Turn 2 reinforcements at Pearl Harbor (I suspect the latter)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Harbinger
United States
California
flag msg tools
No roll for WXYZ. You are correct on both counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.