Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My longtime gaming buddy Gary Baziuk and I have started playing each of the published C&C:Nappy scenarios back-to-back on Vassal. I was going to wait until we had completed all of them before posting but then realized that that would lead to a long lag between posting our reflections on each, so after the first nine sessions I've decided to post an interim list of results and reflections. A side-note: after playing the first four scenarios from the base game we decided to play the Spanish scenarios until we were caught up chronologically at Talavera! Might add the Russians at some point before doing all of the Base/Spanish ones - stay tuned.

A bit of background. Gary and I are long-time wargamers going back to the late 70s. We've played C&C Ancients a lot. We both like C&C Napoleonics and admire Richard Borg's genius in making this system "feel" appropriate for each age/era depicted.

OK, what will you see posted here? At the bottom is the summary of the scenarios played, who won each of the back-to-back sessions, our joint estimated assessment of the "balance" of the scenario, and finally the current (as of this post and including our own results) percentage of wins posted on the excellent ccnapoleonics.net site. I apologize for the crappy formatting but I don't have the skill to do anything with the Word table I imported to make it any better!

A note regarding balance. If one player won as both sides then the scenario is automatically deemed "balanced" unless there was the most phenomenal run of cards or dice. Otherwise, we consider a scenario "balanced" ("Even" in the tables) if after a couple of plays, it offers both sides AT LEAST a one-third (33%) chance on winning. You could argue for a different percentage but I think that if you have a one-in-three chance of winning that is pretty balanced as far as wargame design goes!

So far, only Zornoza and Ganomal are assessed as unbalanced which is in agreement with the ccn.net stats. Also, we would assess 2nd Rolica and Somosierra as balanced whereas ccn.net would say otherwise. I think 2nd Rolica is indeed balanced if the Allies are patient, and Somosierra could be unbalanced in favour of the French despite my wins as both sides last night!

Finally, although we've now played the game 18 times in this session, there is a learning curve in the meta-game in the Spanish Expansion as to how best to use the Guerrilla markers. In my opinion, this design decision is pure genius from a game perspective and makes the Spanish scenarios a lot of fun to play. I don't give a hoot about the "simulation" value in this case!

As we play more games (trying to play 3 sets a week) this thread will be updated and I'll try and put in more comments about each scenario and other stuff, more like a regular session report.

Hope you find this useful.

Scenario Result Est Balance CCN.net
1st Rolica: Both win as French Even 55% Allies
2nd Rolica: Don won both Even 73% French
Vimiero Both win as Allies Even 56% Allies
Corunna Both win as Allies Even 61% Allies

Baylen Gary won both Even 55% French
Zornoza Both won as Allies 95% Allies 87% Allies
Ganomal Both won as French 80% French 95% French
Espinosa Gary won both Even 62% French
Somosierra Don won both Even 80% French
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don,
what would make this better would be the game scores in each instance,
e.g.
1st Rolica: Both win as French 5-1; 5-4 Even 55% Allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Don,
what would make this better would be the game scores in each instance,
e.g.
1st Rolica: Both win as French 5-1; 5-4 Even 55% Allies

Howdy Mark,

You know, I thought about recording flag counts as a measure of how close each scenario is, but in the end, I decided that flag count is only one measure of scenario balance, say on a par with casualties inflicted.

For the future, however, I will report flag count, as it is another measure of the closeness of the game itself and it IS the sole victory criterion!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. My main Wargame buddy and I are doing the same thing and we are exactly halfway through the playbook. We get only about 3-4 games a month and have not payed in several weeks due to work stuff but I have had a great time doing it. You get a small sense of who the leaders are.
Happy Gaming!
Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
This is awesome. My main Wargame buddy and I are doing the same thing and we are exactly halfway through the playbook. We get only about 3-4 games a month and have not payed in several weeks due to work stuff but I have had a great time doing it. You get a small sense of who the leaders are.
Happy Gaming!
Scott

Hey Scott,

Feel free to post your results and impressions in this thread! Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Don. Hopefully we get back on tack Tuesday night. So far we have not kept up with the results, a fact that I am greatly ashamed of. We did make a decision early in the process (influenced by the first couple of games where we randomly determined sides and I was always French) to keep to the same side (I still play French!) except for (River Coa?) where we played back to back, switching sides. I believe the it was 1-1 for that time (I lost as both sides). I do have a really poor record and do not eke out many wins but have a great time playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 4 more scenarios tonight (April 21st, 2013).

Both of us won as the French at Medellin, 6-2 and 5-1 (concession) but we rated this one as an EVEN battle which CCN.net confirms with a 54% French bias.

I won both times at Alcaniz 6-4 as Allies and 6-5 as the French, so I rate this one as even, while CCN.net rates it as a 67% French advantage.

Updated overall stats are as follows:

Scenario Results Est Balance CCN.net
Gary French Gary Allies
1St Rolica: Both win as French Even 55% Allies

Medellin 6-2 1-5* Even 54% French
Alcaniz 4-6 5-6 Even 67% French

* concession – partial result

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Update...April 23rd, 2013

Gary beat me at both sides of Maria (Exp #1) tonight: 6-4 as the French and 6-3 as the Allies.

We rate the scenario as even - CCN.net agrees with a 57% Allies bias.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Gary and I have temporarily suspended our CCN endeavour after 28 games I thought I would post the results to date:

Scenario Results Est Balance CCN.net
Gary French Gary Allies
1St Rolica: Both win as French Even 55% Allies

Medellin 6-2 1-5* Even 54% French
Alcaniz 4-6 5-6 Even 67% French
Maria 6-4 6-3 Even 57% Allies
Talavera (S) 4-6 6-0 Even? 68% Allies
Talavera (E) 7-5 3-7 Even 50% French

Czarnowo

* concession – partial result

Only two scenarios (Zornoza and Ganomal)do we deem as unbalanced as you can see.

We will resume our chronological play through with the Russians starting with Czarnowo. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.