Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games with least rating variance/Tom Vasel/designer ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it still difficult to make up my mind about a purchase only beased on geek ratings. Luckily the Geek has an Übergeek. Mr. Tom Vasel

Often I find game resarch difficult when looking at game rates. Tom Vasel is my guru and a big help in my decisions. Another help would be a list of games with little rating variances or the opinion of game designers:

1) I believe it has been done before but I am looking for a list of games with the least varince in the ratings (lowest margin between high and low scores. Could somone give me tipp where to find it?!

3) Many game designers despite having a Geek profile, do not rate any games at all!! This I find frustrating as I am particularly interested in their opinion. Can someone help with an answer?!

So this I wanted to share with you: big hand for Tom Vasel, and two questions:
1) Can someone give me a link to a list with games with least variance in game rating?
2) Why is it that many game designers do not rate games?!

Many thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Games with least rating variance/Tom Vasel/designer rati
I would suggest that you use the geek buddy system. Look at your top rated games. Look at other players who also rate them highly. If they match your game tastes closely, make them a geek buddy. Once you have a list of 20+ geek buddies, when looking at any game, click Geek Buddy Analysis to get a summary of their ratings and comments. It's a great way to get an idea what you might want to look into further or for reason you might not like a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Harae wrote:
2) Many game designers despite having a Geek profile, do not rate any games at all!! This I find frustrating as I am particularly interested in their opinion. Can someone help with an answer?!
(...)
2) Why is it that many game designers do not rate games?!

Well, no less than Alan Moon (among many others) has argued that it's bad form for game designers to rate or review games. I can understand Alan's argument; I just don't happen to agree with it, but I can easily understand why others do. Anyone who makes a name for themselves in a field - in German gaming, say Tom Vasel or Greg Schloesser - is likely to have a fairly large impact with their words. But Tom or Greg don't benefit by rating a game negatively; one could argue that a game designer potentially does.

Fortunately, the gaming community is diverse enough (in tastes, at least, if not always in makeup) that I don't think that _anyone_ (even Tom or Greg or Alan) has so much impact as to make or break a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:

1) I believe it has been done before but I am looking for a list of games with the least varince in the ratings (lowest margin between high and low scores. Could somone give me tipp where to find it?!

1) Can someone give me a link to a list with games with least variance in game rating?

Standard deviation is listed for each game on its game page. It is a measure of the spread around the mean so it is a good indicator of rating variance. The higher the standard deviation, the more variation in ratings.

I don't know what the overall mean is. There used to be a top list of games sorted by highest and lowest standard deviation, but I can't find it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an advanced search against BGG's database for ranked non-wargames, non-expansions, with average rating 7 or higher, sorted by ascending standard deviation: http://tinyurl.com/bnfec

Hope that helps,
Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
Übergeek. Mr. Tom Vasel

I believe the description Mr Vasel prefers these days is "elite gamer". Once you get used to reading his reviews, he's awesomely useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I would suggest that you use the geek buddy system. Look at your top rated games. Look at other players who also rate them highly. If they match your game tastes closely, make them a geek buddy. Once you have a list of 20+ geek buddies, when looking at any game, click Geek Buddy Analysis to get a summary of their ratings and comments. It's a great way to get an idea what you might want to look into further or for reason you might not like a game.

I agree with this. I have around 50 Geekbuddies, and use about half of them on the Analysis pages to work out whether I'd be interested or not. A quick click and I get ratings and good comments. Best feature of BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Doug agreeing with Mr Ekted. Check out the ratings of a bunch of games you like and the people who rate them similarly to you. Use them as rating GeekBuddies. Truly excellent feature, especially now with GeekBuddy groups. I have a ratings Group especially for this.

And remember everyone has the occasional quirk, how else could you explain Tom's ludicrously low opinion of Diplomacy and Crocodile Pool Party cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear All, many thanks for the useful Feedback!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3) Many game designers despite having a Geek profile, do not rate any games at all!! This I find frustrating as I am particularly interested in their opinion. Can someone help with an answer?!

Here are some game designers that do rate games. I agree that it's helpful because I respect their opinions more.

Andreas Seyfarth (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/AS-Leo)
Games of Note: Puerto Rico
Favorites: Acquire, Carcassonne, Citadels, Civilization, Outpost

Franz-Benno Delonge (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/bennodelonge)
Games of Note: Manila, Fjords, TransAmerica
Favorites: Chess, Schafkopf

Friedemann Friese (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/friedemann)
Games of Note: Power Grid
Favorites: 6 Nimmt, Apples to Apples, Can't Stop, Fresh Fish, Mamma Mia, Power Grid, RoboRally, Wallenstein

Richard Garfield (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Phelddagrif)
Games of Note: Magic: The Gathering CCG, RoboRally
Favorites: Cosmic Encounter - Eon Expansion #4, Acquire, Apples to Apples, Carcassonne, Hera & Zeus, Hoity Toity, Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation, Lost Cities, Scrabble, Settlers of Catan, TransAmerica

Rüdiger Dorn (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/R%FCdiger+Dorn)
Games of Note: Goa, Jambo, Louis XIV, Traders of Genoa
Favorites: Attika, Caylus, Goa, Magic: The Gathering CCG, Tichu, Traders of Genoa, YINSH

Stephen Glenn (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Stephen+Glenn)
Games of Note: Balloon Cup
Favorites: Acquire, Balderdash, Chinatown, Crokinole, Euphrat & Tigris, GIPF, Go, Poker, Through the Desert, YINSH

William Attia (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/wlam)
Games of Note: Caylus
Favorites: Diplomacy, Euphrat & Tigris, Ingenious, Princes of Florence, Puerto Rico, Ricochet Robot, San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.