Subject: Loot with 6 players as teams rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
It looked like we would have five to eight players, a few of which had to play a short game so I suggested Loot as a 20 minute game. It wasn't.
We ended up with six players, one who was red-green colorblind, and paired off into three teams. It was fortunate that our number allowed for the pairing since Gamewright did nothing to differentiate colors. I have no colorblind issues and I still have a very difficult time telling blue and green apart without great lighting.

It Loot the teams sit side by side. Control of a ship is only checked on the first player in a team's turn. Partners can show each other their cards and plan, but they cannot swap any cards. Every player plays like normal. The partners each get their normal play.

I didn't take notes and I don't have a good enough memory to do a blow by blow account, but I did see my partner and myself make plenty of mistakes. Those I can share with you.

1. Don't partner with Nathan.

That probably won't be a very difficult rule to follow, but if you can, you should. Everybody likes to pick on Nathan.

2. Make sure it is the second partner who has the captains.

Nathan and I were fortunate enough to get two captains, but he was the one who drew them and he played before me. If I had held the captains as the second player then we could have held out on some ships then drop the old one-two (first is a low numbered ship, second the captain) on them. That didn't work out. This is a difficult rule to follow since there is no control over what you draw.

3. Play your merchant ships correctly.

Nathan held the 8-gold ship and I held the 7-gold ship. Thinking (erroneously) that we had two winning combos in our hands because the captains, we played them both on the same turn. We won the eight and lost the seven since the other two teams split their attack and each piled two pirate cards on each of the ships. I should have followed his eight with a three or a four which would have possibly allowed us to receive the lower valued ship with no pirate attacks. We could have done that another turn with me playing the seven.

4. Be wary of the quiet players.

This is probably good advice in most games but I have seen too many players win by not antagonizing others where others allow their low gold merchant ships to be taken unattacked.

There is is. Not much of a session report. More of a strategy guide gleaned from a session of play.

Final scores:

His and Hers: 22
Nathan and Brent: 39
Silent and Diabolical: 51

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.