C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering if I should get/need all of these games or if I will find too much overlap. I hear they are all pretty different but if I had to choose 2 of 3 which provides the best coverage?

They are all dice games but which one is the least swingy in terms of luck (rolling) ?

I mean if I roll snake eyes 1/2 the game can I still win any of these as long as I make good use of these 1's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Macao the dice are used by everyone, so all the ones are available to all! Some people get the impression that Macao is a luckfest because of the randomness of the roles and how different players are looking for different results and some might get what they are looking for more than others. I indeed thought it was more luck filled than it has turned out to be! I have found that very consistently with Macao the person that plays the game the best will win(and the best players will usually win) and the particular rolls while helping or hurting a bit depending on results do not determine the winner(I have never lost a game of Macao and thought it was the dice's fault). Because the dice are communal and you can choose 2 of the 6 results I think there is flexibility to work around undesired results and go in different direction.

As far as CoB goes it is pretty flexible depending on the die results. However, I feel the dice do play more into it than in Macao for example as your target tiles/placements are very obvious and you either get close to the target numbers or not. you can mitigate this through various means and I would still say that the vast majority of the time the better player will win the game(or whoever plays the game best will win) but I have seen a few cases where the dice played a bit more of a roll than I would like(sometimes you may be racing someone and have the turn order advantage but the two tiles you want you will need to use 2 worker tiles each to get them which you do not have while your opponent rolls the exact perfect results despite not having any work tiles available).

I have not played Bora Bora but I have heard it compared to Trajan and CoB and I can see why. All are a bit more calculatable and you can build strategies based on how many points you can get from certain actions. Macao is way more free flowing and has shifting values(determined by factors you cannot control) and so is less "mathy" and the skill of evaluation and reevalution is key.

In my opinion for the most variety you should get Macao and either CoB or Bora. If you play with more casual gamers I would suggest CoB over Bora as I think it is more accessible and easier to learn/grok. However, I think Bora has more depth than CoB and is one of Feld's more integrative games(each part relating to other parts) so if you play with gamers that may be the better choice.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like one of those Feld games, you would like the others. Each plays differently but feel similar in some mechanisms, different overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.