Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekBay newbie question (that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere else):

For the past week or so, I have been placing some bids on items in various GeekBay auctions. However, the memory not what it used to be, I was wondering if there was an easy/preferred way for me to get a quick summary of the items I've been bidding on, as I can't remember all the subject titles of the auctions. I tried going to the main GeekBay forum and doing a search for my screen name (assuming the search engine would find all of my bid posts in that forum), but it comes up with no results...any suggestions? Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on your profile, then click contributions, and lower down on the right there will be a section called "geeklist item comments". That should do it
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexsr wrote:
Click on your profile, then click contributions, and lower down on the right there will be a section called "geeklist item comments". That should do it


If you see people bidding things like this:

"22$ Mansions of Madness ending 4/22/13"

It is for this reason. If you view your comments as Alex described, you can easily see which ones are bids and which are just comments (except maybe for the most loquacious of users) on regular geeklist items.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
wamboyil wrote:
GeekBay newbie question (that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere else):

For the past week or so, I have been placing some bids on items in various GeekBay auctions. However, the memory not what it used to be, I was wondering if there was an easy/preferred way for me to get a quick summary of the items I've been bidding on, as I can't remember all the subject titles of the auctions. I tried going to the main GeekBay forum and doing a search for my screen name (assuming the search engine would find all of my bid posts in that forum), but it comes up with no results...any suggestions? Thanks!


One suggestion I'd make for the future is to subscribe to any specific auction items you bid on. Not only will this put all your bids in one easy-to-find place, it will also alert you when anyone outbids you! Just remember to only subscribe to the ITEM you bid on, not the entire Geeklist.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esquivel
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
EvilPandaPirate wrote:
wamboyil wrote:
GeekBay newbie question (that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere else):

For the past week or so, I have been placing some bids on items in various GeekBay auctions. However, the memory not what it used to be, I was wondering if there was an easy/preferred way for me to get a quick summary of the items I've been bidding on, as I can't remember all the subject titles of the auctions. I tried going to the main GeekBay forum and doing a search for my screen name (assuming the search engine would find all of my bid posts in that forum), but it comes up with no results...any suggestions? Thanks!


One suggestion I'd make for the future is to subscribe to any specific auction items you bid on. Not only will this put all your bids in one easy-to-find place, it will also alert you when anyone outbids you! Just remember to only subscribe to the ITEM you bid on, not the entire Geeklist.


This is exactly what I do. I subscribe to each item I bid on. Just remember to subscribe to the specific item and not necessarily the entire Geeklist! You can later go to your Subscriptions, select Manage Subscriptions, and then select Geeklist Items to see everything all in one place.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great help, that's exactly what I was looking for! I thought I had looked at the Contributions tab at my profile, but I guess I didn't look closely enough.

Thanks again!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a problem I've been struggling with. Recently I actually won an auction that I forgot I had bid on. There are two ideas that I came up with and I'll be testing both out.

1) Quickbar links to the auction item - quick and easy
2) a private geeklist where I add the auction as a geeklist item and I paste a link to the specific item in the description along with the closing date. And I suppose if I'm ambitious I can add a photo of the item.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

2) a private geeklist where I add the auction as a geeklist item and I paste a link to the specific item in the description along with the closing date. And I suppose if I'm ambitious I can add a photo of the item.


Just combining the Geeklist Items feature already mentioned above by others with your Quickbar would achieve the same thing (including pictures)

Just click here Bryan and then add it to your QuickBar. It's like having that private GeekList automatically updated for you.

Only downside is your bids will be mixed in with any other occasional GeekList comments, but I find that to be an insignificant bother compared with the effort of maintaining an entire dedicated list or managing every bid through separate QuickBar links.

Like you, I did that too for a bit until I had 20+ some odd bids running at one time and it stopped being worth the trouble.

Another option is navigating to your manage subscriptions page, clicking on "geeklist items" and then adding that page as a quickbar link.

Doesn't offer the snapshot of your comments where you can tag things with the closing date like the other list, but it has the unique benefit of only showing you the items you're still subscribed to. So if you've been outbid and won't go any higher you can unsubscribe and it won't show any longer in the list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Just combining the Geeklist Items feature already mentioned above by others with your Quickbar would achieve the same thing (including pictures)

I tried that for a bit but I actually do a lot of non-auction geeklist responses and my bids were getting swamped in a signal to noise issue when I was searching for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
Just combining the Geeklist Items feature already mentioned above by others with your Quickbar would achieve the same thing (including pictures)

I tried that for a bit but I actually do a lot of non-auction geeklist responses and my bids were getting swamped in a signal to noise issue when I was searching for them.


Ah. That will indeed devalue the approach significantly.

The Quickbar approach definitely works. You can relegate the auctions to the later pages if you have a lot and already use your main page links heavily.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.