Popular Tags: [View All]
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
It works very well and I believe it to be preferred method for seasoned veterans (like myself).

Personally we employ the "thumbs up/down" approach facilitated by a sideways hold of the thumb and a 3-2-1 countdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these methods work well so long as there isn't someone trying to game the process (intentionally or unintentionally). You know, the person who hesitates just a moment after the countdown reaches "1" so that they can see how others vote.

Avoiding that issue may be what was behind choosing a card to vote. It can't be changed at that last moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the idea of voting with thumbs because it's quicker, I much prefer the pieces for two reasons. First, like Cory said, you can't switch it as easily or hesitate. It's out there and there's no changing it. Second, frequently after voting occurs it's nice to be able to look around the table for a moment and see who voted what and talk about that before the actual mission goes forward. Holding thumbs up/down through this process would be tiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that it does affect the mechanic as people might change their vote and any hesitation will cause people to claim they are trying to alter their vote based on the votes of others.

If reducing components to carry around is the issue, you could easily replace the mechanic by gathering one small token of any type for each player at the gaming table. This could be coins, tokens from other games, scraps of paper, or anything else you could find and they don't need to be identical. Every player puts his hands under the table and conceals his token in one of their hands and then all players put their right hand on the table and reveal the contents simultaneously. Tokens represent a yes vote while lack of token represents a no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
While I like the idea of voting with thumbs because it's quicker, I much prefer the pieces for two reasons. First, like Cory said, you can't switch it as easily or hesitate. It's out there and there's no changing it. Second, frequently after voting occurs it's nice to be able to look around the table for a moment and see who voted what and talk about that before the actual mission goes forward. Holding thumbs up/down through this process would be tiring.

You are absolutely right. The only information the Resistance (aka the good guys) get is how people voted. That is how they have to work out who is who. If it was a split second thumbs up/down, it would be way too hard to work it out. If you want to cut down on components, how about a chip that has a yes or no symbol on each side? Make your choice, cover the chip with your hand and everybody reveals their vote simultaneously. This would cut down on "late-voter syndrome" too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
waitreally wrote:

I totally agree with this as well. Good to see who voted what and leave the tokens out for a while - until the next vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above, the game would work... just not to its best. In fact. you could probably play the whole game with just scraps of paper and a show of hands, but where would the fun be in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.