Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Lambert
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When jumping, do you play two cards but count them as a single card? We guessed yes, but it appears that the answer is no, even though it seemed pretty clear when we looked it up.

2) When jumping, if one of the cards is a double swim do you move 3 spaces or only 2? We guessed only 2 from the text, but it was clear that it wasn't clear so we just tried to guess.

3) If you play a double swim, but can only move one space due to rocks or waterfalls, do you move one or ignore the card altogether. It was pretty clear in the rules that you should ignore the card altogether, but since some of the other rules were worded so vaguely we had started to suspect that wasn't really the intent, and allowed moving only one space, as it seemed silly to bonk into a rock from a distance.

4) If you discard a swim card that would bonk you into a rock, does that count toward the three-swim-card fatigue rule? We guessed yes.

5) Are rapids intended to be random discards? It certainly doesn't say random, but it was clear that rapids were generally a benefit after the first two boards, as we usually had something in our hand we'd like to discard anyway, and this let us cycle through our hands faster. Also, discarding a rapids card to counter the rapids card that was played is only useful if the discard is otherwise random.

6) Can you combine swim right and swim left to jump? We decided yes, but only if the hex you jump over is a waterfall. I saw on another thread that this was supposed to be no. Then again, I saw that despite being mentioned in at least two different places in the rules, the author intends to allow two double swim cards to be used in a jump... Clearly jumping should not be this complicated, but we really did have a hard time teasing out the intended rules in this area from the text in the box.

Overall I was very pleased. We didn't end up using the fisherman board, and nobody played either eagle or the grizzly bear, but I think we used about all of the rest of it. We played with three players on S-E-H-E-F, and noted that we didn't really cycle through our decks much. I may consider removing one of each swim card from the starting deck as someone else suggested, but we'll see; I think using more boards may help as well. At the end we threw caution to the wind, as it was very unlikely for any new cards to affect the game on the last two boards. :)

Spawn till you die!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) No. Each card played as part of the jump counts towards the 3 card limit. This means you could wind up taking two fatigue cards in one turn...one to jump the waterfall and another if you play a swim card as your third card.

(2) You move the full amount (so in your case 3 spaces). Additionally, the designer has since indicated that it is legal to play 2 double swim cards as well. Note that in all cases when playing swim cards, you MUST be able to move through all the spaces legally in order to play both cards as jump cards.

(3) You would ignore the card altogether (if you play it, it would become a discard and you don't move). You must always be able to use the full movement of any card you play, or you can't use it (just discard it).

(4) Yes.

(5) No, it's not random...however, if multiples of these are played before its your turn or you are on a hex with alot of current arrows, you may well find that you have NO cards left (or maybe 1) when its your turn, since you only draw cards at the end of your turn.

(6) You need to play legal move cards as your jump cards. An easy way to know what you can play is to temporarily treat the waterfall as a valid hex and play two cards sequentially that will (a) put you on the waterfall hex, and then (b) move you onto a legal river hex.

I have also found that our decks didn't really cycle much to my disappointment. I will definitely be taking one of each swim card out next time. I will also never play with less than 4 boards between the start and finish boards, and likely 5. So far in my games, I've never felt any pressure/problems from the fatigue cards...it's just been a sprint to the finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sum1els wrote:
1) When jumping, do you play two cards but count them as a single card? We guessed yes, but it appears that the answer is no, even though it seemed pretty clear when we looked it up.

2) When jumping, if one of the cards is a double swim do you move 3 spaces or only 2? We guessed only 2 from the text, but it was clear that it wasn't clear so we just tried to guess.

3) If you play a double swim, but can only move one space due to rocks or waterfalls, do you move one or ignore the card altogether. It was pretty clear in the rules that you should ignore the card altogether, but since some of the other rules were worded so vaguely we had started to suspect that wasn't really the intent, and allowed moving only one space, as it seemed silly to bonk into a rock from a distance.

4) If you discard a swim card that would bonk you into a rock, does that count toward the three-swim-card fatigue rule? We guessed yes.

5) Are rapids intended to be random discards? It certainly doesn't say random, but it was clear that rapids were generally a benefit after the first two boards, as we usually had something in our hand we'd like to discard anyway, and this let us cycle through our hands faster. Also, discarding a rapids card to counter the rapids card that was played is only useful if the discard is otherwise random.

6) Can you combine swim right and swim left to jump? We decided yes, but only if the hex you jump over is a waterfall. I saw on another thread that this was supposed to be no. Then again, I saw that despite being mentioned in at least two different places in the rules, the author intends to allow two double swim cards to be used in a jump... Clearly jumping should not be this complicated, but we really did have a hard time teasing out the intended rules in this area from the text in the box.

Overall I was very pleased. We didn't end up using the fisherman board, and nobody played either eagle or the grizzly bear, but I think we used about all of the rest of it. We played with three players on S-E-H-E-F, and noted that we didn't really cycle through our decks much. I may consider removing one of each swim card from the starting deck as someone else suggested, but we'll see; I think using more boards may help as well. At the end we threw caution to the wind, as it was very unlikely for any new cards to affect the game on the last two boards.

Spawn till you die!

1. You play 2 cards as...2 cards, one right after another. For your movement you just move as directed by the cards. With the upcoming FAQ the auther mentioned, the jump rules will be clarified.

2. Yeah, it wasn't clear in the rules, but after clarification you do move the 3 spaces.

3. If you can't move the full amount of spaces you don't move at all, but instead can play the card as a simple discard. Note that this still counts as playing a swim card for purposes of whether or not you draw a fatigue.

4. Yes

5. Agreed

6. I think the jumping rules became more complicated because they weren't as clear as possible in the rules. After answering a bunch of questions, it looks like it is as simply as: Play 2 swim cards (Single or Double movement) to jump over one or more waterfall spaces. You move directly to the hex dictated by performing the movement for all the cards you played (so a Double Forward and Single Right would move you directly 2 hexes forward and 1 to the right). The space you end up in must be a valid space (not another waterfall or rock or off the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe the cards discarded due to rapids are random, as the card doesn't specify that it should be random. The two promo cards, the Grizzly Bear and the Bald Eagle, both specify that the discard is random, so for consistency's sake, the rapids should not be random...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish he/the rules had never said to move *directly* to the space following a jump, because to me that clearly goes against your picking up cards from spaces you jump over.

Is it true that, while you can only jump to move over a waterfall space, when you jump, you can pick up cards from every space you jump over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I wish he/the rules had never said to move *directly* to the space following a jump, because to me that clearly goes against your picking up cards from spaces you jump over.

Is it true that, while you can only jump to move over a waterfall space, when you jump, you can pick up cards from every space you jump over?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been an update from Jesse to clarify the rules about jumping, and it appears that you don't pick up cards from the non-waterfall spaces you jump over while jumping over a waterfall, but you do pick up cards from icons on the waterfall(s) that are jumped, as well as final hex you land on.Guide to Jumping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.