Subject: Dol Guldur and Guarded Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Campbell
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
My first question deals with the setup of Dol Guldur. One of your heroes begins captured. Does this mean that your starting threat is lower because you do not start with the third hero? I doubt it, but I can hope.

My second question deals with enemies that are attached to objectives with the guarded keyword. Are these enemies treated as normal, i.e. can they engage players during the Engagement Check subphase of the Encounter phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Tse
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
your starting threat is calculated before you setup for phase 1A, where a hero gets captured, so yea, you pay the threat but then lose a hero.

guarded means just play an encounter card on that objective. If its a treachery, resolve it and the objective is now free. if its a location, you have to travel and explore it to free the objective card. if its a monster, you have to engage it as normal and kill it as normal to free the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Flacco
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have a follow up question about the setup of Dol Guldur. My question involves attaching a Treachery card as the guard. Page 24 of the rulebook say that "The treachery's effects resolve, or are canceled. (Treachery cards are immediately triggered when they are revealed.) Now the last sentence on Quest Card 1A says, "Then, shuffle the encounter deck, and attach 1 encounter to each objective card."

I was also reading the latest FAQ and it says, "(1.22) “When Revealed” Effects
A card is only considered to be revealed if the card or
game effect causing the card to enter play specifically
uses a form of the word “reveal”.

So since 1A doesn't have the word reveal and I draw a treachery card as the guard do I simply discard the card and the objective card is free to claim. It sounds like I do but I want to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Campbell
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response dimsumboy.

Aflacco I think you are correct in that the treachery cards being attached to each objective at the beginning of Dol Guldur would be immediately discarded without effect given the wording of the rules. I do not think, however, that was the intention of attaching treachery cards to objectives. If it happened in my game I would house rule that the treachery goes into effect immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Treachery cards used to guard objectives are resolved (if they aren't cancelled). See page 24 of the rules where the "guarded" keyword is covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gotta post a follow up question to all this..

If the treachery card you get it "deal 1 of damage to each exhausted char", since its the setup no one is exhausted - that just goes in the discard and the objective is ready to take?

I played it last night, just discarding it seem like cheating so I shuffled it into the deck and pulled another card (which were a location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
gotta post a follow up question to all this..

If the treachery card you get it "deal 1 of damage to each exhausted char", since its the setup no one is exhausted - that just goes in the discard and the objective is ready to take?

I played it last night, just discarding it seem like cheating so I shuffled it into the deck and pulled another card (which were a location).
No need to make it harder than it already is. You actioned the treachery: you dealt 1 point of damage to each exhausted character. You just got lucky because there were not any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.