Hide
7 Posts

Tales of the Arabian Nights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question: Duh... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OneBadVeggie
msg tools
Okay, we're playing the game, and a friend picks up Respected. After he picked up Respected, he grabbed Crippled.

On crippled it states "You remain crippled until you gain either Respected or Blessed".

So, we are trying to decide whether or not he loses crippled because he already has Respected, or does he have to gain Respected as a future reward to lose the status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless there is a specific citation in the FAQ or rules, we usually go with the "nicest" solution in these cases. Enough bad stuff is going to happen to you anyway. I'd just say you don't get the bad effects from being crippled because you are already so Respected - maybe you discard both as they balance out? But I probably wouldn't make them lose Respected and take on Crippled. We just aren't that mean!

Don't have the FAQ or rules on hand, but if you wanted to be a stickler you'd say it was the act of gaining Respected that made you lose Crippled, but given the parameters and setting of the game it doesn't make sense for someone to be Crippled and Respected - so if you want some semblance of logic and flow, your going to have to make a further decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sharwarko
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since on the FAQ for Under Gaes it states:

Quote:
Under Geas: This status goes away after you gain 3 destiny points more than what you had when you gained it. So, if you were at 7D before you gained the geas, you fulfill the obligation and lose the status when you reach 10D.

I would assume the condition for removing Crippled is literally that you would have to gain either Respected or Blessed. And since you cannot gain a status you already have (Respected), you would have to gain Blessed to remove Crippled.

Excerpt from FAQ about statuses:

Quote:
Receiving a status twice: You can't have the same status twice at the same time. So, if you already have the Status Married, and something--an Encounter, a City Card, a Quest, whatever--directs you to receive it again, you don't end up with two "Married" statuses. You do receive all the other results due to you, though.

So yes, you would be a Respected Crippled folklore hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinger17011 wrote:
I would assume the condition for removing Crippled is literally that you would have to gain either Respected or Blessed. And since you cannot gain a status you already have (Respected), you would have to gain Blessed to remove Crippled.

This also seems mean. We would play that you would lose the Crippled status if you would normally gain the Respected status, even if you already had Respected.

But I do agree that it is possible to be a Respected Cripple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinger17011 wrote:

Quote:
Receiving a status twice: You can't have the same status twice at the same time. So, if you already have the Status Married, and something--an Encounter, a City Card, a Quest, whatever--directs you to receive it again, you don't end up with two "Married" statuses. You do receive all the other results due to you, though.

The faq doesn't say you don't receive the status the second time, it simply says you don't end up with two tokens.

I think that's a critical distinction. I'd rule that receiving Respected a second time would remove Crippled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Zinger17011 wrote:

Quote:

The faq doesn't say you don't receive the status the second time, it simply says you don't end up with two tokens.

I think that's a critical distinction. I'd rule that receiving Respected a second time would remove Crippled.

It doesnt say simply that you dont end up with two tokens/cards at all. Surely the FAQ above says quite precisely that you don't receive the status the second time - "you don't end up with two 'Married' statuses." The status and its token are the same thing, the rules make no distinction between the two entities, here or anywhere else. This is a distinction a player has read into it and inferred their own meaning.

You therefore can't receive Respected again if you already own it to remove Crippled. It has to be receiving Blessed. Harsh, but then this is a harsh game and there is a bonus to having lots of statuses (good and bad) should you tie the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly speaking, the guideline for any rules question is "What makes for the better story?"

That said, no, having Respected does not protect you from gaining Crippled. Gaining Respected when you have both Respected + Crippled will remove the Crippled, even though you're not actually "gaining" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.