Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking a bit about using other boards for RRT, especially Age of Steam boards. Would that make sense. AS far as I can see on the net, the AoS boards are smaller than RRT, but would that be bad. They are at least pretty affordable.

jesper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will give you a number of problems:

1) the hexes in AoS are much larger, so the track tiles will have huge gaps between them.

2) the cities are much closer to each other, so it will be much harder to build links with the few track types available in RT.

3) because links are generally very short (as the cities are closer) it means that there isn't room for the large locomotive ownership markers.

Mik

PS. Age of Steam is one of the best games ever invented. It is going to become a classic if it stays onto the market or a cult game if not. In either case is it a relatively safe investment.

Why simply buy a copy and enjoy the many expansion maps the way they were designed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not design your own board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Why not design your own board?

And make it "non-warping"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think about the hex size until after having posted the question, but that is of course a slight problem.
I bought Railroad Tycoon because it seemed more accessible than AoS, and thus more easy to make friends and family play. And being somewhat restrained by the homefront with regards to invest heavily into games that will not be played, I thought it might make sense to reuse boards and keeps the rules.

Of course I could make my own board, but I am too lazy for that. I already have too many other (unfinished) projects that requires me to handle paper and cardboard.

But thanks for the answers...

Jesper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yazpah wrote:
I bought Railroad Tycoon because it seemed more accessible than AoS, and thus more easy to make friends and family play. And being somewhat restrained by the homefront with regards to invest heavily into games that will not be played, I thought it might make sense to reuse boards and keeps the rules.

Of course I could make my own board, but I am too lazy for that. I already have too many other (unfinished) projects that requires me to handle paper and cardboard.

Just have a little patience, Jesper, and I am sure someone else will make some nice maps to print out. While these will still need some work before you can use them, it should be far less work than making them yourself.

I will take a closer look at my AoS maps tonight and see how well the RT tracks will fit work together with the city distances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yazpah wrote:

For that reason it would have been easier for you to buy AoS but play it with the more accessible RRT Rules. Getting alternative maps is more difficult than exchanging some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah the power of 20/20 hindsight...

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked a couple of the AoS maps: you will have a 3mm zone of air around each RT track tile on each hex, but if you are desperate it can work. The number of possoble links between the cities will be reduced due to the lack of special tracks, but the maps could work okay for 2 or 3 players. They might even work with 4 players if you are really really desperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For that reason it would have been easier for you to buy AoS but play it with the more accessible RRT Rules. Getting alternative maps is more difficult than exchanging some rules.

You would find it very dfficult to play AoS with the more accessible rules (different components, layouts etc); however I am trying to put together a system for softening AoS a bit so I can get a similar effect. This would involve reworking the income track, altering the auction mechanisms and a few other alterations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Element Element
Canada
flag msg tools
Quick question .. exactly what are the sizes of the RR Tycoon hexes??
(I'm actually trying to print those colored hexes ... from over here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/96333

but they seem a bit "large" ... )

(I'm asking here, since it appears at least one of you has already measured them .. heh)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how you measure a hex, but here goes:

RT: hexside = 16 mm - wide: 28 mm - diagonal: 32 mm,
(in inches it is roughly = 0.63" - 1.10" - 1.26")

for those interested the hexes in Age of Steam are:

AoS: hexide = 21 mm - wide: 36 mm - diagonal: 41 mm
(inches = 0.82" - 1.42" - 1.61")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just the hex SIZES that would be an issue. As Mik says, Railroad Tycoon has fewer hex TYPES - Age of Steam has more variety, such as the tight curve (where the track exits the hex on the side adjacent to the hexside that it entered from). These extra hex types are going to be pretty serious ommisions if you try to play Railroad Tycoon on the much smaller Age Of Steam maps.

We need Eagle to do us the same service that Winsome/Warfrog/Steam Brothers have done - namely lots of new maps, for different numbers of players and different sizes of table! Unfortunately, each new map would also require a new deck of cards, which has knock-on effects both in terms of cost and also packaging (it's easier to ship a map than a map + cards).

One option to do it on the cheap I suppose would be to use a generic deck for all expansions - and have the card "Bonus for Route 1" to men "Birmingham to London" on the UK map, "Bonn to Berlin" on the German map, "Paris to Constantinople" on the Europe map etc. Clumsy, and not too attractive, mind you (although we've already started to play RRT with markers on "bonus" cities, where cards with bounties or routes have been turned face-up. Makes it easier for some players to think about their options if they know that there's a bonus waiting at Toronto).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Element Element
Canada
flag msg tools
Great Dane wrote:
Not sure how you measure a hex, but here goes:

RT: hexside = 16 mm - wide: 28 mm - diagonal: 32 mm,
(in inches it is roughly = 0.63" - 1.10" - 1.26")

for those interested the hexes in Age of Steam are:

AoS: hexide = 21 mm - wide: 36 mm - diagonal: 41 mm
(inches = 0.82" - 1.42" - 1.61")

Thanks!! That's perfect!!
(actually, the length of a hexside is all you really need ... but only since we know it's a "regular" hexagon .. hehe)

And I was right, stinkin' thing is printing about double size .. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Unfortunately, each new map would also require a new deck of cards, which has knock-on effects both in terms of cost and also packaging (it's easier to ship a map than a map + cards).

Well, my Europe map is all but complete, and will hopefully be posted on Sunday...

As for cards, one (imperfect quality) way would be to print 16 (or whatever) on a 15 x 18 sheet and perforcate them & then include them flat packed with the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the Europe Board WON'T be posted this week, as it was too boring
I made the mistake of taking it too far East (and adding in Trans-Siberian and Oriental Express Eastern Links, which DID work) but there just aren't enough major cities East of Moscow to make it work like that, so I'm going to resize my underlying map, and have another go next weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
Unfortunately, the Europe Board WON'T be posted this week, as it was too boring I made the mistake of taking it too far East (and adding in Trans-Siberian and Oriental Express Eastern Links, which DID work) but there just aren't enough major cities East of Moscow

Yeah - and all those small towns East of Moscow really are boring...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.