Quote:
Dual-Color Gate Cards
These special Gate cards match the colors of two encounter
symbols; if either color on the card matches the
encounter symbol of the Other World your investigator
is currently in, resolve that card. In most cases you will
resolve the “Other” encounter, but if you are in the Other
World specific to that card, you will have to face the
Ancient One associated with that Other World!

but nowhere in the rules dose it mention these AO fights. When/if this card us drawn.. what exactly happens. Do you completely fill the doom track? Or dose the AO have doom tokens equal to the one in play? If it is the same as the in play AO, do you use the current doom token number. I suspect that the doom tokens are not removed btw.

Anyway, where are the rules for this effect as they are not in the CorDPr2 rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dual-colour gate card explains how to play this situation. For example:

Also from the Complete FAQ p.23:

"Q: If the dual-colored encounter is the same Ancient One that is in his slumber, the doom track is not filled. What happens if it is a different Ancient One? For example, if an investigator encounters Cthulhu [AH] while Ithaqua [AH] slumbers, would he fill Cthulhu’s doom track to 13?
A: Yes."

So if it is the AO that is in play you fight it with the number of Doom Tokens currently on its track. If the AO isn't the one in play then it has a full Doom Track.

Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just in case you are in any doubt, handle this combat with the AO as a Final Battle. This might explain why you haven't found a description of the fights anywhere - perhaps you didn't realise that it was covered by the FB rules. (Notice the comment on the card example provided by sapper_D about "since there is only one player in this combat you need one success to remove a Doom Token", that's alluding to the rules for FB)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to further qualify mccrispy's comment

mccrispy wrote:
And just in case you are in any doubt, handle this combat with the AO as a Final Battle.

Note that this isn't a Final Battle and that there are a few differences to an actual Final Battle (from Complete FAQ p.23): other effects related to the Ancient One, such as Sealing the Beast’s Power (Unique Item) [DH] and Joey “the Rat” (Blight Card) [KiY], aren't counted during dual-colored encounters. Also, Epic Battle cards aren't used.

EDIT: see comments below re: start of battle effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:

mccrispy wrote:
And just in case you are in any doubt, handle this combat with the AO as a Final Battle.

Note that this isn't a Final Battle and that there are a few differences to an actual Final Battle (from Complete FAQ p.23): "Start of Battle" effects don't trigger and other effects related to the Ancient One, such as Sealing the Beast’s Power (Unique Item) [DH] and Joey “the Rat” (Blight Card) [KiY], aren't counted during dual-colored encounters. Also, Epic Battle cards aren't used.

This goes back to the point that all you do is follow the card. Sometimes we tend to overthink things and maybe look for extra rules that aren't there or aren't necessary. You don't find separate rules in rulebook for this because its all explained right there on the card. No need to complicate...although I always do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
sapper_D wrote:

mccrispy wrote:

Note that this isn't a Final Battle and that there are a few differences to an actual Final Battle (from Complete FAQ p.23): "Start of Battle" effects don't trigger and other effects related to the Ancient One, such as Sealing the Beast’s Power (Unique Item) [DH] and Joey “the Rat” (Blight Card) [KiY], aren't counted during dual-colored encounters. Also, Epic Battle cards aren't used.

This goes back to the point that all you do is follow the card. Sometimes we tend to overthink things and maybe look for extra rules that aren't there or aren't necessary. You don't find separate rules in rulebook for this because its all explained right there on the card. No need to complicate...although I always do.
it isn't "all there on the card". If you look at the example card in this thread you will be hard-pressed to see how the AO attacks. So you treat it as an FB by following the round sequence for FB and the details of the AO's attack from the AO's sheet per the FB. Also, Start of Battle effects do trigger, though some other effects don't.
page 19 of the FAQ v2 wrote:
Q: When fighting an Ancient One during a dual-colored encounter, do the “start of battle” effects trigger even though this is not a Final Battle? A: Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
"Start of Battle" effects don't trigger

You misread the FAQ. Start of Battle effects still trigger.

Also omitted from the revised DP rules: if your OW matches just one of the colors, you keep the card and perform the "Other" effects (a monster appears).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
So, I am reading the FAQ and it say....

Quote:
Dual-Color Gate Cards
These special Gate cards match the colors of two encounter
symbols; if either color on the card matches the
encounter symbol of the Other World your investigator
is currently in, resolve that card. In most cases you will
resolve the “Other” encounter, but if you are in the Other
World specific to that card, you will have to face the
Ancient One associated with that Other World!

but nowhere in the rules dose it mention these AO fights. When/if this card us drawn.. what exactly happens. Do you completely fill the doom track? Or dose the AO have doom tokens equal to the one in play? If it is the same as the in play AO, do you use the current doom token number. I suspect that the doom tokens are not removed btw.

Anyway, where are the rules for this effect as they are not in the CorDPr2 rules?

You also get to adjust your sliders up to your current focus before the first round of combat. You also suffer the effects of the AO; i.e., Cthulhu still deals his -1 Stamina or -1 Sanity loss, which will be permanent if the investigator survives. I'm looking at Joe's 1/1 after defeating him.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out my mistake mccripsy and Tibs ! blush

I blame Hastur for changing the text while I was reading it goo and I've edited my misleading post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
So just to be clear...

you8 do fill the entire doom track when you fight the monster, though if that monster is in play, you use the number of doom tokens it currently has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
So just to be clear...

you8 do fill the entire doom track when you fight the monster, though if that monster is in play, you use the number of doom tokens it currently has?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
So just to be clear...

Correct, but for an in-play AO, doom track tokens are flipped over, not removed; the doom track is not affected by this battle, and remains at the status ante bellum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
page 19 of the FAQ v2 wrote:
Q: When fighting an Ancient One during a dual-colored encounter, do the “start of battle” effects trigger even though this is not a Final Battle? A: Yes.

So you do discard the rumor and environment cards as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Just think of the dual-colour encounter as a normal combat with any other monster. If you defeat the AO the game just continues as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
right so you skip the start of the final battle, then just do the battle as normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
right so you skip the start of the final battle, then just do the battle as normal?
yes, if by "start of battle" you mean the preparatory steps. The discarding of the Environment actually happens before the Final Battle - it's not part of the battle per se, more part of the set up once the AO awakens (which, in the case of these Encounters, is not happening).

page 22 of the Arkham Horror rulebook wrote:
Before the final battle begins, discard any active Environment or Rumor cards. Additionally, once the final battle begins, investigators should no longer collect money or roll for Retainers or Bank Loans.
(my emphasis)

So you treat it as a Final Battle: execute the Start of Battle effect then enter into the Round sequence for FB - Investigators Refresh, Investigators Attack, AO Attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
ok cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.