Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the game is longer. Some may like this. Some may not.

Yes it changes the game completely. Again, some may like this. Some may not.

Pillbug strategies:

1) The Queen Escape

A Pillbug adjacent to the friendly Queen can rescue the Queen when 5 of the 6 adjacent spots are filled (sometimes earlier). This often stops the attack and allows a winning counter attack.

2) Stripping attackers

A Pillbug one space away from the Queen can often strip away attackers, prolonging or stopping an attack.

3) The Beetle Cover

The most common way to counter a Pillbug defender is to cover it or the Queen with a Beetle. This causes the game to center around getting a Beetle atop the hive and into position for this vital cover. Many games are won by the first player to cover the opposing Pillbug.

4) Smothering the Pillbug

Another way to counter the Pillbug is to completely surround it so that it cannot use its special ability or if it does use this ability, the resulting position is no better than the original.

5) Attacking with the Pillbug

Because it cannot be pinned indefinitely with just one bug, the Pillbug can be an excellent attacker. When one space away, a Pillbug can threaten to move in to attack. If it is pinned, then it can (not on the immediate turn, but on subsequent turns) pick up the pinning bug and move IT in to attack. This may force the defender to keep two bugs tied up pinning the Pillbug.

My conclusion: the Pillbug is not for beginners. It adds complexity and length to the game that may turn off inexperienced players. It is very hard even for good players inexperienced with the Pillbug to beat a player who has experience with the various nuances of the use of the Pillbug.

I like it, even though I do not consider myself to have yet mastered it. I look forward to playing the upcoming tourney.

As of April 19th, there are 64 players signed up! Come and join us!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/958780/free-hive-pillbug...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willi Van Bogaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good analysis, Randall! I'm really enjoying exploring all the Pillbug strategies in the tournament.

Are you planning on releasing a new edition of the book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in the works as we speak. It has been outlined and I am spending time reviewing games to use to teach the concepts of using the Pillbug.

If there are any of your games that you think demonstrate certain aspects of the use of the Pillbug, let me know and maybe I will use them in the book

You can geek mail be here or email me at rmingersoll@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of any games off hand, but a section on mosquito-pillbug interaction would be valuable. I don't recall who was involved, but I saw a game where a pillbug-mosquito chain existed between the two queens, and the player who owned the pieces used them to shuffled an opponents piece from attacking her queen to attacking the opponents and thereby winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willi Van Bogaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmingersoll wrote:
If there are any of your games that you think demonstrate certain aspects of the use of the Pillbug, let me know and maybe I will use them in the book

Nice try, Randall. I'm not going to give you all my secrets while we're both still in the tournament! laughninja

autoplectic wrote:
I don't recall who was involved, but I saw a game where a pillbug-mosquito chain existed between the two queens, and the player who owned the pieces used them to shuffled an opponents piece from attacking her queen to attacking the opponents and thereby winning the game.

Conveyer belting. I like it! And the only thing you can do to stop it, if you don't have a beetle on the ready, is to pin your own bugs. Devious! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
I absolutely hate the expansions unless they're used in a 22 piece environment. I'd imagine this is NOT the case in the tournament?

Where did this rule come from - is it a variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillbug seems a bit too powerful for a lowly bug. I thought the Spider is underpowered and even before the introduction of the Pillbug, I thought it should have had the ability to move an enemy piece adjacent to it as if to simulate entangling or trapping the enemy bug with its web and dragging the enemy bug along with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the write up Randall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.