Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking for recommendations on games to stock in my store for ages 2-6 years old. I currently stock

Gulo Gulo
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Blokus
Rumis
Kids of Catan

My criteria are as follows:

1. Needs to be in print and readily available (although if you're going to recommend non-readily available games, please indicate such so I don't kill myself searching for it from distributors)

2. They can be games rated for over 7 years old, but that you've experienced work well with younger as well.

3. I'd like to avoid Hasbro/Parker Brothers/Milton Bradley games if at all possible, but they still might be useful for refering customers to.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Splash Attack! and Quoridor Kid from Gigamic. They also have a larger line of kids' games available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These definitely should be included:

Frank's Zoo
-- The box says for 10 and up, but don't believe it. Our grandchildren loved this game at age 4.

Pick Picknic

Zirkus Flohcati

Vampire (the card game by Reiner Knizia)
-- The box says for 10 and up, but our grandchildren loved this game at age 4, and played it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the games that are requested most often in my houshold by my three kids in that age range, in no particular order:

Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus
Group Photo
Buggo
Guess Who? (Yes, it's Hasbro, but the kids love it!)
Rat-a-Tat Cat
Galloping Pigs
Pick Picknic
Face-It
Klondike
Landlock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulo Gulo is the best I've found yet.

My daughter and I have also had fun with Viva Topo (I just posted a review the other day) and Cranium Cariboo.

Cariboo is a very good, very early game - if the child can count to 4, recognize A, B, and C, and knows green, blue, yellow, and red, then they can play. Even if they have a little bit of trouble with this it can work, you just have to help a bit, and it'll be a good way to learn these things. Viva Topo, Gulo Gulo, etc. are all a little bit more difficult.

I've heard good things about "Go Away, Monster!" as a very early game also, but haven't tried it yet...hoping to get it for my younger daughter soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great success with Nobody But Us Chickens down to age 5 or so.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchanted Forest is a classic (ages 6+).

Also you can't go wrong with most of HABA's games. I'm not sure about how they distribute in the US. There a local store that stocks their games as well as legos, erector sets, and other building toys. I'm not sure if they have a distributor, or if they import direcly from HABA. I've never seen any HABA games in a typical B&M game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gulo Gulo" is the best, by far.

But I have also had great success with "Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus" and "Dawn Under"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juuzzom wrote:
I'd suggest Splash Attack! and Quoridor Kid from Gigamic. They also have a larger line of kids' games available.

I got Quoridor yesterday. My 4 and 7 yr old were playing each other and my 4 yr old got really angry when she got blocked and had to go around. I'd say it's a great game. It was played about 20 times yesterday about a 5 min game. They also ask to play Pirate's Cove all the time. Other games my kids like Niagara, Yinsh and Rumis (which you already have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A hearty second for Rat-a-Tat Cat, Nobody But Us Chickens, and Viva Topo. I'd also add: Break the Safe, Sleeping Queens, Kleine Fische*, Schildkroetenrennen*, Bunte Runde*, Diamant*, Laura's Sternenspiel*, Sequence Dice, Sherlock, Ricochet, Mancala, Mago Magino, Geister, Geistertreppe (stock the expansion -- Flaschengeist -- as well), Ingenious, Pente, Smart Mouth, and Gobblet. These are all games I've played with lots of 4-5-6 year olds (except Bunte Runde which arrived this afternoon!). I Spy Go Fish or an alphabet Go Fish (capital and lowercase letters, ideally) would also be a good thing to stock, as well as a nice memo/concentration game (Selecta makes a wooden one with numbers and quantities).

Here are a few more I haven't played yet but that are worth considering: Tier auf Tier (stacking animals), Akaba (flying carpets), Maskenball der Kaefer (Ladybug's Costume Ball -- magnetic bugs), Pete the Pirate, and Highly Suspect.

A little too educational for my tastes but I'm probably in the minority of parents: Set, Plumino. Polynomial dice are also a huge hit with some kindergarteners.

NB: The asterisks indicate language-independent games with non-English rulesets (although translations are available on the geek). Don't know how/whether that'd go over with your clientele. The other games listed, despite foreign-language names, are published in multi-lingual editions that include English rules in the box. Haba and Selecta (whose games are generally multilingual/language independent) are good bets; I generally like their games better than Ravensburger's kids' game. Winningmoves.de's newish kid's line looks very promising -- but they pose the language issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fage
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going throw in one that seems a bit strange but it has worked very well with my 6 and 7 year old girls: Mystery Rummy: Al Capone.

Since the sets are collected by colour and picture it was very easy for them to pick up how melds worked. Once they learned how to use the gavel cards and remember them, we were having some great games.

I have also had success with:
Cartagena
Coloretto
Crokinole *
Diamant *
Igloo Pop *
Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus *
Through the Desert

The ones with * are more kid friendly in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pool
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just change the rules...

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=64...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Raphael
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok I have to say it...

chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draughts - known as Checkers in the US? My 6.5 year old son picked it up playing with my Dad at Christmas. I bought him a cheap set after Christmas and he loves it.

We played last weekend and despite many, many more years of gaming experience, I got roundly thrashed .... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gotta second Buggo, just played it for the fourth night in a row...

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned are dexterity games, those have all gone over well with the little ones. Helps developing fine motor skills as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One of the best ones for us has been Hisss. It is one of a whole range of Gamewright games, which I think are mostly translations of German Ravensburger games. They should be fairly easy to get from a distributor and are fairly inexpensive and always make a good display in game stores I visit.

P.S. You can read my review here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/66408#66408

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemon
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
I've had great success with the card games published by Gamewright Games. Rat-a-tat-cat, Wig Out, Sleeping Queens, and Loot have gone over very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
My nephew, who's 5, likes these:

Nobody But Us Chickens
Fish Eat Fish
Bang!
Pick Picknic
Schicki Micki
Gulo Gulo
Capt'n Clever
Cartagena
Cloud 9

In Bang! he doesn't understand the roles, but he can work all the cards and loves killing people. In Cartagena, he likes to get one guy into the boat then start on the next guy, which doesn't win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
My six year old daughter likes playing the following games. I believe they're all easily available.

Ticket to Ride (Her new favorite)
For sale (the art on the cards is what draws her to this game, I think)
Halli Galli
Blink
Igloo Pop
Mancala
Set (although only with the 'solids')
Batik (it's very quick, but fun)
Carcassonne - Hunters and Gatherers (doesn't play by the rules, just likes putting the tiles down)
Gulo Gulo (always a favorite)
Loco!
Pit
Take it Easy

This makes a great list for selecting children's games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a list a couple of years ago:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=66...

To that I'd add Cranium Cariboo, which is a great favourite for younger (3/4 year old) children, and if you want something free you could try my game Snake Pit. I also find that Diamant works well... our three-year-old seems to win quite often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
well yathzee might work. you can find it easily and it is very light and simple. not the best game but fine. also gobblet, masterpiece, dread pirate (needs a lot of luck, no suggested for adults but kids might like it), clue, othello, Ttr (ticket to ride), mabye even scrabble. i played risk when i was 7, yet i started designing games that were too complex for my father to understand in age 7 so i can't tell. well those are all the gma es that come up to my head right now, might think on more later.

nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I forgot dice games. Pickomino and Cosmic Cows are both more fun than Yahtzee, I think and I've played both with 6 year olds. Cosmic Cows (aka Kniffel Duel) seems to be particularly popular -- largely because of theming/bits, I think. And it'd be easy to explain to customers (Yahtzee as a tug-of-war).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks so much for all the great suggestions (with explanations of why they work for this age group and which parts of the age group they work best for). Many of those listed are indeed available. I know I've had a few customers looking for great early games so now I'll be able to expand that area a bit to provide them with choices. You guys are great!

By the way, for those who do have young children, you may wish to check out this game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21620

It was designed by a local designer years ago, but he never pulled off a distribution for it (so you won't find it out there anywhere else). I thought it was a great game so I can get as many of them as I need from him.

The only concern with it is that the little chips probably are not good for children young enough to not have gotten out of the habbit of trying to eat anything that looks cool and is small enough to fit in their mouthes. Although the chips can be substituted out for something less likely to be swallowed, as I've recommended to several customers.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 4-way Countdown made me want to slit my wrists -- it can be interminable. 2-way is okay -- and useful for kids. FWIW, Countdown is the traditional game known as Shut the Box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3 year old loves Go Away Monster... No reading is required... It's a very simple game of learning to figure something by shapes, not looking at it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.