Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh off the Kickstarter campaign, I felt the need to (finally) organize my Small World collection. Like many here, I am a proud owner of Small World, Grand Dames, Cursed, Be Not Afraid, Tales & Legends, and Underground. I also have 7 print & play races and 4 print & play powers. My goal was to get all of the parts - tokens, banners, coins, etc. - from all of the games into a single box.

I'll start by saying that I was heavily influenced by the following design, which I thought was simply beautiful:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1330260/small-world

It took about a week of planning, measuring, cutting, and gluing ... but here is the finished product:

It's made of foam board rather than wood, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The top tray of tokens was designed to be removable to effectively double storage space for all the race tokens:

Here's a close up of the top tray for those interested:

And a close up of the bottom section:

And mission accomplished! I was able to get all tokens, etc. into a single box from all small world games (with space left over for the missing expansions and Kickstarter races and powers). It was a labor of love, and I just wanted to share with my fellow BGG'ers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carter
United States
Forestdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice looking! What do you do with the boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is...stunningly awesome. I hope when I have some money to get bits & tools I can craft such amazing things for my games! Just need to stop letting kickstarter projects have it all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
What glue did you use? I've had limited success with hot glue and basic craft glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!

...But what happens at the inevitable 45+ degree handling of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
What glue did you use? I've had limited success with hot glue and basic craft glue.

I always just use plain white glue (Elmers) for all of my foamboard projects and it works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!

fwav8or wrote:
Very nice looking! What do you do with the boards?

The boards were the only part of the project that irked me a bit - as it became evident from the beginning that they would not fit inside the box (without the lid sticking up a few inches). For now, I keep them in my Underground box.

CyberGarp wrote:

Surprisingly, I used hot glue, mostly for its fast-drying properties. Allows me to get it in place and move on to the next piece almost immediately. It can be a pain to work with because you have about 5 seconds to get it lined up and in place before you have to peel it off and start over. So most of the time gluing was spent pre-lining it up, and marking where it should go.

Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
Great work!

...But what happens at the inevitable 45+ degree handling of the box?

Don't even go there! I think the rule going forward will have to be that no one else will be allowed to touch the box.

But I do have plans to build an additional insert that goes on top of the powers / races to store the map tiles from realms, that could help with this inevitability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
legion many
msg tools
So...can you make more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So awesome!

I'm definitely going to have to look into this kind of thing for Small World & some of my other games too!

Just a question, is the foam board stuff like this:
http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/product/white_foam_board_/

I was thinking of getting some wood to do it for another game I own, but if it's easy enough to do it with this & has results as good as what you've linked, I may well go with foam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
legionmany wrote:
So...can you make more?

+1

I would gladly pay for a system like that...and I'm too retarded to make one myself...meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
So awesome!

I'm definitely going to have to look into this kind of thing for Small World & some of my other games too!

I was thinking of getting some wood to do it for another game I own, but if it's easy enough to do it with this & has results as good as what you've linked, I may well go with foam!

Thanks! I don't work with wood at all, but foam board has always done the trick for me!

The board in the link seems close, but looks a bit more porous than what I tend to use for game inserts. Take that with a grain of salt, however, as I'm going from memory, which isn't always accurate. In general, I've found that with the more porous interior, I can't get a very clean cut. The foam board I use feels very dense in the middle, has a glossy sheen to the surface, and is on the thinner side.

When I get back home today, I'll snap a picture and post it here to give you a better sense. It might be exactly the same, but hopefully the picture will give you a sense of exactly what I used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
So awesome!

Here's a quick shot of the foam board I use (the white sheet on bottom). The black sheet on top is close to a more 'standard' foam board that you'll find at most craft stores. I hope you can see that the sheet on the bottom is thinner and a bit less porous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pedersen
United States
Oxford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Any chance you can share the specs for the foam core you used? I'm seriously considering doing this for myself, and want to get the best stuff I can. Since I know next to nothing about foam core, any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if you could use this general idea, get all of the race tokens onto the bottom level, and then building the second level with a natural "lid" that would hold the race tokens in place and not give them a place to shift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Jensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Wow! this looks amazing !
what is the thickness of the foam youre using?
also - do you have the measurements for the pieces you made? would love to make something like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome work! Very organised

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.