Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...and while I believe I understand the significance I don't know what is customarily expected from guests. Should she take a gift? Is there a traditional type of gift? Any useful information will be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, bring a gift. My mom thought books were what we were supposed to bring, but at the Bar=Mitzvahs and Bat-Mitzvahs I attend as a kid it seemed like most folks brought envelopes with cash. Not sure there's a hard and fast rule though, and my books were always appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA- BAT MITZVAH!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
My neighbors son went to Micheal Dell's son's Bat-Mitzvah. He was wondering what kind of gift you get a billionaires kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
My neighbors son went to Micheal Dell's son's Bat-Mitzvah. He was wondering what kind of gift you get a billionaires kid.

a book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

An iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
ohbalto wrote:

An iPad.

I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Don't you mean Bar-Mitzvah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Don't you mean Bar-Mitzvah?

Might have been his daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that if you were giving any sort of gift to someone substantially better of financially than yourself, it should be something of great non-monetary significance. Books and records that they couldn't find for themselves are ideal in that regard. It means you want to share with them something you love. Such a gift can be horizon-expanding much more than a new techno-toy -- and anything that expands a young person's mental and aesthetic horizons is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Often the gift is cash, like at weddings, but that's with North American non-Hassidic boy or girl of the day. For example, with Hassidim ("ultra-orthodox"), it wouldn't be cash.

Bar-Mitvah (son of commandment (sort of); i.e. old enough to be responsible for religious strictures) has become Westernized and modernized. A lot more "bar" than "mitzvah" as the quip goes. Cash buys X-Boxes.

It's really a guy thing. But today, in contemporary times, especially in families without a son at all, Bat-Mitzvah (daughter of...) has become a fashion.

Sorry; to answer your question, an almost universal tradition is to give an amount in a multiple of 18. Like Roman numerals, Hebrew uses the letters of the alphabet for numbering. Life, in Hebrew, is two letters that add up to 18.

Depending on your means, social connection, the size of the shindig, you'd give something like $18, $54, $180, $1.8 million (is that a multiple of 18?), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Sorry; to answer your question, an almost universal tradition is to give an amount in a multiple of 18. Like Roman numerals, Hebrew uses the letters of the alphabet for numbering. Life, in Hebrew, is two letters that add up to 18.

Aw, crap! I learned something! It's my day off, you know.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who responded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
isaacc wrote:

$1.8 million (is that a multiple of 18?)

Unless you have the kind of cash to afford a really thick envelope, for this gift I would go with 18 Woodrows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give the gift of gaming. Everybody loves board games.

That's what I'm giving my nephew whose barmitzvah is later this year, and what I gave his older brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Often the gift is cash, like at weddings, but that's with North American non-Hassidic boy or girl of the day. For example, with Hassidim ("ultra-orthodox"), it wouldn't be cash.

Bar-Mitvah (son of commandment (sort of); i.e. old enough to be responsible for religious strictures) has become Westernized and modernized. A lot more "bar" than "mitzvah" as the quip goes. Cash buys X-Boxes.

It's really a guy thing. But today, in contemporary times, especially in families without a son at all, Bat-Mitzvah (daughter of...) has become a fashion.

Depending on your means, social connection, the size of the shindig, you'd give something like $18, $54, $180, $1.8 million (is that a multiple of 18?), etc.

This is what I'd think too. Unless you know the girl well, I'd not give more than the minimum. Even so, for many in poorer communities, people often do not give gifts and I doubt anyone would be too upset if you merely showed up to add to the joy of the occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
isaacc wrote:

$1.8 million (is that a multiple of 18?)

Unless you have the kind of cash to afford a really thick envelope...

Methinks if you had the cash to give $1.8 million as a gift, you could afford to buy an envelope to put it in, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
isaacc wrote:

This is what I'd think too. Unless you know the girl well, I'd not give more than the minimum. Even so, for many in poorer communities, people often do not give gifts and I doubt anyone would be too upset if you merely showed up to add to the joy of the occasion.

How would you calculate the minimum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think $18 too much to give a 12 year old girl, the $1.80. Otherwise, $18 is the minimum multiple of 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
If you think $18 too much to give a 12 year old girl, the $1.80. Otherwise, $18 is the minimum multiple of 18.

I thought there might be more to it than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.