John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there was a huge storm here Wednesday night and come Thursday morning the person in the basement room wakes up, steps out of bed... into water...

The whole complex is flooding. Three houses down and the water is 2 feet deep and rising. For us its approaching an inch deep and rising. So we have to scramble to save things down there and then scramble to move about everything out of the basement later for cleanup.

So the gem? Well. We discovered three boxes of lost Valkyrie HeroScape stuff...
One mostly intact and still packed box.

and whats looking like 5 loose sets... As I have 5 Raelin the Kyrie sitting here now. Not including the one still in its box.

The boxes are from various iterations, I found one packet of 10 blue and 10 red dice and one packet of 12 white dice. No transparent water tiles.

Havent done a count of the tiles but I'd guess theres going to be 5 loose sets each, plus my own box and the still packed box. Give or take a few missing items. A quick glance over just so far shows one missing Gerda glyph.

Water damage was minimal. One rulebook and scenario book got wet, and alot of tiles got soaked but the tiles shrugg off everything. Interestingly the staples on the rulebook rusted instantly as they couldnt have been in water more than a half hour but had totally rusted.

Bemusingly, the water tiles, when wet, became super cling magnets. They stuck to everything. Sides of box, land tiles, dice, could lift dice with the water tiles. aheh.

At a guess this must be the batch of 8-10 boxes we got for absolutely dirt cheap at a clearance. I think they were 5$ each.

So yeah. Flooding. What a wonderful day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure sorry to hear about the flooding, John. I hope you get back to normal with as little grief as possible. It's good to hear that 'Scape provided a small ray of sunshine, but I know you must have a lot to deal with. Hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from being immensely sore and likely a dinged up back from this. We were fortunate on several levels. The person living in the basement room had just three days previous gotten all new replacement parts for their computer. Had the water risen just 2 more inches it would have likely ruined it with now no way to replace it.

I'd thought all the HS was lost. We had looked for it previously and only come across one intact unopened box which was given to a friend who was leaving the state. Which left my box.

So I now have two sets of red/blue dice, one set still unopened, as well as my own. The still packed box has also red/blue dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I'm assuming you didn't have padding under your carpet or anything like that.

Congrats on the find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Concrete... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear of the flooding John - hope everything is still improving.

My entire game collection is in our basement. I've always had bad visions of losing many of my games to a flooded basement but at the same time always knew my HS collection would fair well (except the cards & rule books most likely).

Good luck with the restoration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I sort through the loose stuff. Heres an interesting discrepency.

1: A batch of the water tiles are a slightly darker blue-green.

2: 3 of the un-opened rulebook packs have a set of little white sticker dots. One doesnt. Booklet mentions these are to be stuck on the underside of a unit and arked so can tell whos are whos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

My condolences. I once lived in some apartments that were prone to flooding and had upstairs neighbors who couldn't be bothered to not flush or wash their hair while the problem was being worked on.

Any chance of some of that stuff ending up on the spare parts list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. I doubt anyone needs extra ROTV minis, glyphs, etc. But I'll likely make some sort of announcement once figure out whos stuff is whos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.