Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a place to have a healthy discussion about the presented board. If you are not aware, April 19 was the date that the board was presented to the public. If you are too lazy to search for an image, here is one:

I'm very excited to play this game, but in my opinion, the board is meh...
and just because of of one (stupid, i know) reason. Why every encounter, every monster should be near an altar? If there's not a reasonable explanation within the game's lore, i fell that it detracts from the imersion that the board should bring to the game. And the light didn't help either. Sometimes less is more.
So, what's your opinion?

Poll
So, What do you think of the WIP board?
I LOVE IT!!!SUPER DUPER COOL!!!
I like it, it's good enough.
meh...
i don't like it, could be better.
I HATE IT! Gonna burn it to the ground!
      98 answers
Poll created by eduguima

My english is not very good, so fell free to correct my ugly mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, but it's a tad dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember this is NOT the final version. It's still a work in process (WIP). The final board probably will not be this dark. There are other photos in the kickstarter update page, with different colours and a better quality, but i don't know if i can put it here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh... I much rather see it in a light coffee washed ivory print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eduguima wrote:
I'm very excited to play this game, but in my opinion, the board is meh...
and just because of of one (stupid, i know) reason. Why every encounter, every monster should be near an altar?

Knowing very little about the game, and having no insider information, perhaps part of the game's story is summoning monsters to the alter or needing to fight them at / near the alter for some reason.

Also, is the board double-sided? Maybe there's more than one setting for battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Also, is the board double-sided? Maybe there's more than one setting for battles.

I think it was said that it would be only one board.

For me, the best way to do this would be something like the Leader Series. A bunch of different titles, randomly assembled before each encounter. Or something like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how everyone (KDM backers included) say it's too dark.
After Adam says it's a WIP and a bit dark. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Smashor
United States
New York
flag msg tools
khorgor wrote:

Yeah, it is just a badly printed prototype. I like the board design itself, and if as stated earlier, there are a variety of colors that Adam had the artist create as options. I'm more confused as to why we need so much area to fight with only four survivors and one monster, which are usually not that big. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khorgor wrote:

Not dark dark, but dark, as in needs more pink fluffy bunnies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about the colour now. I know it's a WIP And the final product will have a high quality standard. I didn't like the altar And light And that's it. A better version of the board, along with different versions is in the database now for everyone to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
khorgor wrote:

Not dark dark, but dark, as in needs more pink fluffy bunnies.

Im figuring that was sarcasm myself.
In light of the world that KD:M is in.
No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
torsmashor13 wrote:
[q="khorgor"]I'm more confused as to why we need so much area to fight with only four survivors and one monster, which are usually not that big. Any thoughts?

It is only 18x25.

Movement seemed moderately important, there are ranged weapons so you might want some space to stand off and shoot [We've seen bows, slings a crossbow and a pistol] and the one scenery item we know about seems to be big enough to cover the "alter" area in the middle of the board.

That's before we look at Spidicules which looks to be about 6-8 squares across and the Dung Beetle who is two separate 2x2's or the Manhunter that can turn up during a fight with another monster and appears to have a ranged weapon.

A board that size and something that moves 8 squares a turn is completely across the board in 3 or 4 turns.

And you want a board slightly larger than is going to be needed so that you don't get constrained against the edge of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Smashor
United States
New York
flag msg tools
dahak wrote:
torsmashor13 wrote:
[q="khorgor"]I'm more confused as to why we need so much area to fight with only four survivors and one monster, which are usually not that big. Any thoughts?

It is only 18x25.

Movement seemed moderately important, there are ranged weapons so you might want some space to stand off and shoot [We've seen bows, slings a crossbow and a pistol] and the one scenery item we know about seems to be big enough to cover the "alter" area in the middle of the board.

That's before we look at Spidicules which looks to be about 6-8 squares across and the Dung Beetle who is two separate 2x2's or the Manhunter that can turn up during a fight with another monster and appears to have a ranged weapon.

A board that size and something that moves 8 squares a turn is completely across the board in 3 or 4 turns.

And you want a board slightly larger than is going to be needed so that you don't get constrained against the edge of the map.

Ah yes, it all makes sense now to me. I wasn't even considering movement more than a few spaces. That tutorial video warped my mind with only close quarter combat. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how this game made 2mln is beyond me, if not for the cool miniatures. The board is underwhelming and the gameplay looks dull.

apparently, to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Ikim, how we shall ever disagree. That said, I'm not a fan of the visual effects on the board. The fog or light sources or whatever they are on the board are a bit too much.

I prefer the Bad Dreams version of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
The fog or light sources or whatever they are on the board are a bit too much.

The light appears to conform to the groundscape, so I have a feeling it's more like a liquid. The surface texture seems to either be covering a light source or a saturated area of liquid light which allows it to pool in various areas.

For fun I converted the light to red so it'd look like blood. devil

Whether or not it's a good image for a game board, it definitely makes me wonder about the story behind it. It'll be fun to see how this unfolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:

The light appears to conform to the groundscape, so I have a feeling it's more like a liquid. The surface texture seems to either be covering a light source or a saturated area of liquid light which allows it to pool in various areas.

Could be the stuff that fuels the lanterns? There is something odd about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the other versions of the board in the image section. The Hell version is pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
jyeackle wrote:

Could be the stuff that fuels the lanterns? There is something odd about them.

I'm betting on analogy for your soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That board is just the standard image that someone converted to a negative using the "Negative" command of any photoshopping program. It's not impressive. (In my opinion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That "white nightmare" is the worst in my opinion. The normal and bad dream boards are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks interesting, and it sure would make painted miniatures pop. With that said, it's an inverted image and I would grow bored looking at it far sooner than any of the others.

I think it'd be more fitting for an expansion where there actually is a series of dream sequence encounters since it does look dreamy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter lustig
msg tools
i am hardcore disappointed it isn't a 3d board like the preview implied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
basuh wrote:
i am hardcore disappointed it isn't a 3d board like the preview implied.

Unfortunately it looks like you misinterpreted a few things.

1. The game contents list a 2' x 3' game board. If it were to contain tiles, it probably would have listed x# of n" x n" tiles. If it were going to be a 3D board (irregardless of tiles), it probably would have said that too. If you think about it, if a tile was say 2" x 2", that would be well over 200 tiles. There's really no way the base game pledge and Kickstarter goal could ever support something like that.

2. The video showed a preview of the upcoming board towards the end of the video. No mention of 3D or tiles.

3. The question came up about the board during the campaign and was answered by Adam.

It sucks not to get what you thought you were getting, but check out this KS to get an idea of how much more it would have been to get at a min. a 3D board: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084069684/tablescapes-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this price point, I expected 6x 12" square tiles, or 4x 12x18" tiles for the promised 2'x3' board.

Had KD:M planned a 3-D board, it would have been an upgrade like in Dreadball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.