Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing several games on BGA is the way the tiles come out too luck driven for players. The only games I have played thus far are two-player only...so perhaps it just isn't great with two? Maybe with more plays the competitiveness will increase with players and make the game much tighter in fighting for tiles.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Höysniemi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas and thank you for bringing up this discussion about the game.

I would say it definitely gets more competitive with more players.

May I ask if you played against a player that also had played the game several times before and read the full rules?

There is certainly some amount of luck involved and this is part of the game. But there are also some ways to minimize it's effect and it really becomes more clearer after some plays. Even though Gear & Piston has fairly simple rules it also has a bit of a learning curve on how to actually play the game.

The game can be quite brutal for beginners and especially in BGA since people might have only read the quick reference rules and this really affects how you play the game. BGA arena gives you a good impression on how the game plays but I think it is not quite the same experience when playing the actual game and with players that are all familiar with the rules.

One important strategy is to keep an eye on the competition since this affects your own choices and your choices affect other players directly. This is one of the factors that affects how tight the game experience is.

In my opinion the game plays best with 4 and 5 players but I have had really intense 2 player games also. It is more of a struggle to get a decent automobile built in 6 player games but that is actually what makes it fun for that particular player amount. Basically the game plays differently depending on the number of players and I personally enjoy it with any number of players.

Hopefully this gave you something to consider about and let's see if we get some more comments on the subject.

Check out this review by the UndeadViking http://boardgamegeek.com/video/28288/gear-piston/avraw-156-g...

-Jukka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Ways to counter luck in Gear & Piston:
- Back alley (especially black market)
- Go for a "large hand" strategy
- Play it safe and be the first in the Patent Office

However, with taking Patent Office all the time (like certain, ahem, people do) will result in you having an incomplete automobile when the game ends. So you might end up with bad Scrap.

It makes sense, really. Higher risk, higher potential returns.

And, also somewhat thematically, a lot of great inventions were somewhat accidental, or "lucky". There is a story about the invention of the carburetor for example...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll continue to play some games and see if playing individuals with more experience makes the game tighter. I typically buy games that play well with two, so I am trying to decide if it is of any value to look at backing this game. Mechanically speaking I like it, sorta reminds me of a light version of Caylus meets Glen More.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a considerable amount of luck, but are you taking investors into account? it's easy to build a complete 6-part car, but it's considerably harder to do this AND meet all the investor requirements, while actively blocking the other player(s) from doing the same and preventing them from blocking you.

Or maybe you just weren't playing against someone who was proactively evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.