John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone want to throw out awesome house rules to make a broken game into game of the Year?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uj9jINi7ro

Lets make stuff up
I'll start: Super nova doesn't reset the game!
It takes out someone's system?

Black Hole
it... um... Sucks in a rolled star? so you better hope you got 2 stars.

I assume the colors were more dangerous green-good, red-bad
could we make a reason why you get good or bad dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch!

I'd throw in some colonization bit of a found planet, but the dice would have to redone with new symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nah, the "debris" is now a landing party!! the ship is an Organic shape

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's some stuff I like here. I like how a Sun turns Planets into worthwhile things. Without a sun, planets just sit there. We can work with that. I also like the way asteroids can be sent against other planets. FInally, I also like the fact that you are drawing a random lot of dice each turn.

So let's start there.

The game is broken into five phases. Each turn, each player performs all four phases before passing to the next player.

1) Throw dice.
2) Claim dice.
3) Colonize.
4) Attack.
5) Move on.

Throw Dice.
At the start of your turn, you must roll up to four dice. From these results, you may choose to either:
1) CLAIM all the dice that rolled Planet symbols, and CLAIM any additional die.
2) CLAIM one die, and all other dice that rolled the same symbol.
Any unclaimed dice are put back in the can. Ummm... I mean, The Galactic Core.
3) Lose one previously claimed uncolonized Planet. Set the four dice aside, and draw throw dice again. You may do this up to twice on your turn.

Each claimed Sun sits in front of you as a System. Be detault, these are uncolonized systems, and not worth any points.

Each claimed Planet sits in front of you as an uncolonized planet. By default, these are uncolonized systems, not worth any points.

3. Colonize

Now that you have claimed symbols in front of you, you may combine them to create COLONIZED systems that are worth points. Once a system is COLONIZED, you add your points to your current score, and throw those dice back in the cup, err... return the dice to the Galactic Core.

A colonized system must follow these rules:
1) Colonized systems must have at least two dice and no more than three.
2) A colonized system is worth a number of points equal to its dice.
3) All colonized systems must have one star, and one planet matching the color of that star.
4) The third die in a system can be another matching planet, or an asteroid of any color.
5) Asteroids cannot be added to a system unless it already has a Star and a Planet.

Any planets, systems, and asteroids that cannot be combined into Colonized Systems remain in front of you for future use.

4. Attack

if you have a Black Hole, you may claim a planet or sun with a matching color that has been claimed by any other player. If you cannot make such a claim, one of your own planets or suns is destroyed (regardless of color). If you do not have any claimed planets or suns to feed to the Black Hole, you may give it to another player or return it to the Galactic Core.

At the end of your turn, if you have a Supernova, you may use it to turn a Sun in any player's area into a Black Hole, or a Black Hole in any player's area into a Sun. If effecting another player's play area, the color of the Supernova must match the Black Hole or Sun, but the color does not matter if you are effecting your own play area.

Finally, if you have any asteroids, you may keep it or choose to launch it at another player. If you launch it, then it automatically destroys one of their Planets of a matching color. If they have no matching color, then you may re-roll one of their Planet dice -- if the re-roll results in anything other than a Planet or an Asteroid, return it to the Galactic Core. Any Asteroids launched at players in this way are discarded.

5. Move on
During this phase, take any dice that were set aside during the first phase and return them to the Galactic Core. Also, check how much total claimed dice you have. If the number is higher than 6, return all excess dice back to the Galactic Core, starting with Planets and then proceeding with any dice of your choice.

If you made any deals with other players, such as exchanging dice or points or anything like that, is is now that you can choose to transfer stuff around to honor those deals. If you want.

Then hand the Galactic Core to the next player.

In summary:
THROW DICE
...Roll 4 dice.
...If you have any planets, you may spend one to re-roll dice. Up to twice per turn.
...When re-rolling, set your dice aside and draw four new dice.

CLAIM DICE
...Claim all planets + 1 die, or all dice of one other type.
...Unclaimed dice are sent back to the Galactic Core. Claimed dice are kept in front of you.

COLONIZE
...Group dice together based on the rules for colonization.
...The rules are: 1 sun + 1 matching color planet = 2 points. A third die can be added if it is a Planet of a matching color or any color asteroid. Then, it's worth 3 points.
...All dice that were grouped in this way are returned to the Galactic Core. You basically get 1 point for each die returned.

ATTACK
...If you have a Black Hole, you must perform one of the following, and it must be A or B, if possible:
........a) claim a matching planet from any other player
........b) return one of your planets or suns to the Galactic Core
........c) give the Black Hole to another player
........d) return the Black Hole to the Galactic Core.

...If you have a Supernova, you must perform one of the following:
........a) turn a matching Sun in another player's area into a Black Hole
........a) turn a Sun in your area into a Black Hole, regardless of color
........c) turn a matching Black Hole in another player's area into a Sun
........d) turn a Black Hole in your area into a Sun, regardless of color
........e) return the Supernova to the Galactic Core

...If you have an asteroid, you MAY CHOOSE TO perform one of the following: (remember that Asteroids can also be used for COLONIZATION)
........a) launch at another player to destroy a matching planet in that player's area.
........a) launch at another player to attack a planet of any other color. The chosen planet must be re-rolled, and is discarded if the re-roll results in anything other than a Planet or Asteroid.

COLOR CODING
The way I see the dice working is:
RED - these are attack dice. They are going to have a lot of Black Holes and Supernovas. They may also be a few Suns.
GREEN - these are your prime colonization dice. They are what you think of when you think of "space". They have a few asteroids, but are mostly planets and suns.
GOLD - these are a mix between the other two, but they are predominantly planets and asteroids. They have the least suns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome post!!!
Color Matching is a color blind issue and a block if required to match... it is not so bad if it's just a bonus. But still a color blind issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
Awesome post!!!
Color Matching is a color blind issue and a block if required to match... it is not so bad if it's just a bonus. But still a color blind issue

I try to make games with color-blind people in mind. My understanding is that color-blind people still see colors, it's just that they see colors differently then others do. What most people would perceive as "blue", they might interpret as "kind of yellowish", for example. So most of the mechanics here involve MATCHING colors, without any particular need to identify what the colors are. Even if you see some of the colors differently, so long as you can distinguish them, you should be able to tell which colors are matching and which aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spice Dice: the dune retheme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
aVoidGames wrote:
Awesome post!!!

I try to make games with color-blind people in mind. My understanding is that color-blind people still see colors, it's just that they see colors differently then others do. What most people would perceive as "blue", they might interpret as "kind of yellowish", for example. So most of the mechanics here involve MATCHING colors, without any particular need to identify what the colors are. Even if you see some of the colors differently, so long as you can distinguish them, you should be able to tell which colors are matching and which aren't.

With some kinds of colourblindness certain hues become indistinguishable.

Here's a useful site for testing your game bits:

http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckImage.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

The game is broken into five phases. Each turn, each player performs all four phases before passing to the next player.

1) Throw dice.
2) Claim dice.
3) Colonize.
4) Attack.
5) Move on.

This looks like a great idea. One thing bothers me though - if each player keeps his systems in from of him the Galactic Core contains less and less dice. Isn't this a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

1) Throw dice.
2) Claim dice.
3) Colonize.
4) Attack.
5) Move on.

This looks like a great idea. One thing bothers me though - if each player keeps his systems in from of him the Galactic Core contains less and less dice. Isn't this a problem?

Don't ruin the fun! with reality!... oh wait.
Maybe we make a color planet stamp(s)...
and stamp out the planets owned?

If red planets are dominated by bad stuff then maybe "red planets" or Mars, is worth 1 billion points!! or serve a cool purpose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Spice Dice: the dune retheme

First thing in my head for some strange reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

1) Throw dice.
2) Claim dice.
3) Colonize.
4) Attack.
5) Move on.

Yes, but they generally aren't in front of you for more than a round or two, since they are returned once scored.

But yes, you would need a lot of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the game has the following elements:
Suns, Asteroids, Black Hole, Planets, Supernova.

One option is a "life of a galaxy" theme. Supernovas spew valuable elements that lead to life. Asteroids carry these elements. Planets gather them to make life. Sun's catalyze them. Black holes eventually destroy them. And if it helps: Green = young, yellow = middle aged, red = old. So a green planet is a young, ready for life planet. A red planet is one dying. A green star is a young, bright star while a Red one is an old dangerous Red Giant. A green asteroid is one full of minerals while a Red one is a dangerous one.

I'd turn it into a dexterity game.

Players start with a number of green dice equal to the players rolled in the middle of the table set face up as green planets. Each player takes a turn removing a die from the bag(green, yellow, red) and rolling it to see what it is. Then they can "slide" the die (or a marker object so the die doesn't change side) at targets on the table. Once the object stops sliding, replace it with the die as rolled. Take note of anything knocked. Use the following table (rolls work both directions, so a Red Sun hitting a Red Planet follows the same rules as a red Planet hitting a red Sun).

Planets knocked by Asteroids of the same color, or a green asteroid knocked by any color asteroid, get the player a point (a young planet needs young asteroids to create life; a mid-aged planet needs mid-aged asteroids for technology and a red planet has it's orbit improved by Red asteroids if you want an explanation). Any planet improved this way, if an asteroid die exists on the table of a color one age more, is replaced by a planet of that more aged color (so if a green planet is knocked, and a yellow asteroid is on the table, change the yellow asteroid to a yellow planet) and the rolled asteroid is returned to the bag.
Yellow or Red planets knocked by different color asteroids LOSE the rolling player a point.

Suns knocked by Asteroids gobble up the asteroid - return the die to the bag. No point changes.
Suns knocked by a planet of the same color gain the player a point as the planet gains useful energy. Suns that knock a planet this way also age (as planets do above) if a free Asteroid of the next color is on the table.
Suns knocked by a planet of a different color do damage to the planet - rolling player loses a point. As well, Red planets that touch Red suns are swallowed up by the sun (return to the bag).
Suns knocked by Suns of a different color have no effect. Suns knocked by Suns of the Same color are aged as above. Red suns knocked by Red suns, are treated as if the player rolled a supernova. Turn one of the suns into a Supernova and process as below.

Planets touching planets always result in both planets being replaced by Asteroids as they both destroyed (change both dice to asteroids). The rolling player loses a point if the planet is green or yellow , but gets to pull and roll again. A player destroying two red planets this way gets the "recycled" achievement and a 3 point bonus.

Supernovae rolled allow a player to re-arrange dice on the table, and allow the player to convert one Asteroid or Red Planet in play to younger Asteroids. Randomly pull a die from the bag - if its green or yellow, replace a Yellow/Asteroid or Yellow/Red Planet with the younger one just pulled. If a younger die isn't in the bag, though, the player loses a point. The rolled Supernovae has no effect on things it touches except for other Supernovae - when this happens, replace one with a Black Hole and return the other to the bag.

Black holes are the game timer. Once there are black holes equal to some number (twice the players? All of them?) the game is over and you immediately calculate points. Players who roll something can also elect to pass, returning their die to the bag, but if every player passes the game is over.

I'm sure these numbers are not calculated well and there are loopholes, but someone polishing/testing gameplay could figure it out. You'd have a healthy amount of decisions to make and some dexterity to make it more fun. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.