Subject: Initial Appointment Round Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ran
United States
Flushing
New York
flag msg tools
I may have read the rules wrong, but my gaming group was arguing over this.

We had a very rare moment (and obviously strategically unsound)where it seems 3 players were determined to ruin each other.

What happened was during the initial appointment round, they kept putting manager in the boardroom chairs, causing each other's manager to get knocked out. at the end of the setup. I was fortunate enough to have 3 of my managers on the board while they only have 1 each. (obviously I had a huge advantage over the other 3)

According to the rules, managers gets knocked out of boardroom, and return to the player's supply. No where in the rules said that player get to place that manager somewhere else.

However, one player argue that in the previous paragraph, it specifically stated that "at the end of this initial appointment round, each player WILL have a TOTAL of 3 managers on the game board.

Under this circumstances, do we follow the first (players with managers that get knocked out is just out of luck) or the latter (we replace all the manager until there is 3 managers to each player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't thought of that. In our games it never happened (and I don't know why).
The rules are clear, although I didn't remember. Kicked off meeples go back to the supply, so you played it right. I think it is very risky to place your meeples too early at the boardroom chairs. It is a good starting position and every one wants to start there, but before you can place your meeples there I think you should place others on other places. It is no luck component, there are five places and max. five players, so if you only place your last meeple there you will hold the position for sure. If you are too greedy and place a meeple there earlier you risk to get kicked out - that's it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the rules as intended are that if a manager is kicked out of the board room, too bad, he's gone, and you will not be able to replace him. The rules specifically describe the flow for placing initial managers with exactly three rounds of placements. The following sentence about "...each player will have a total of 3 Managers on the game board" is indeed unfortunately worded. But I believe the intention of that is merely commentary.

If that happens, especially to three players, you really should recognize what an utter failure of a setup that was, abort, and start over now that people have learned the dangers of going into the board room too early or often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cook
United States
Jonesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it should read "Each player will have PLACED a total of 3 manages on the gameboard". You got to place 3, too bad you lost one or two of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danjcook wrote:
Perhaps it should read "Each player will have PLACED a total of 3 manages on the gameboard". You got to place 3, too bad you lost one or two of them.

This interpretation sounds closest to the overall feel of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.