7 Posts

Axis & Allies» Forums » General

Subject: Another boardgame like A&A with realistic miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kalle Johnson
msg tools
Hey A&A boardgamers!

I once ha a conversation with a friend of mine in college, and he told me about a WWII / WW3 based boardgame with a hair raising amount og realistic miniatures, supply lines and all battleships etc. were real life copies and had maching cards with information regarding country/speed/year of construcuion and so on... Does anyone know what the hell he was talking about, or have i been victim of a cruel misinformation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 doesn't have supply lines, battleships, or cards with country/speed/year of construction. And I don't think it's ever been described as having a hair raising amount of realistic miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played it but I remember that Harpoon was supposed to be an incredibly realistic naval game which you could buy highly detailed ship miniatures for.

This is the original edition, but further revisions came out later: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5928

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Carmichael
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes, I know the game, I can't put my finger on the name though. I heard stories (confirmed by others) of 1,000 hour games, 18 months of building ships in supply lines, hundreds of dice, and a a board that took up the whole floor. The guy's brother said he could never walk in their room and sometimes couldn't sleep in his bed. Now you really want the game, but I just can't remember what it's called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Carmichael
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes, I know the game, I can't put my finger on the name though. I heard stories (confirmed by others) of 1,000 hour games, 18 months of building ships in supply lines, hundreds of dice, and a a board that took up the whole floor. The guy's brother said he could never walk in their room and sometimes couldn't sleep in his bed. Now you really want the game, but I just can't remember what it's called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the game you are talking about is East and West by Imp Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Carmichael
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound right. Hm, let me check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.