Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following was originally posted by Mark Engelberg on the Spielfrieks Yahoo Group. What does everyone else, particularly Emanuele Ornella, think about this? Is it a misprint? I'm inclined to agree with Mark that it is. Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see corrected cards/summary sheets offered. soblue

------------------------------------
Look at the score chart (both on the cards and on the summary) for the
olives and the grain, and note the largest scoring value for those two
types. It seems pretty clear that those two rows have been improperly
switched. You'd expect the olive to offer a greater reward for 5
cards than the wheat, since there are fewer olives in the deck. Note
that on all the other pairs (scroll/silk) and (salt/pottery), the type
with fewer cards offers a greater reward, as you'd expect. Only the
olive/wheat pair works counter to intuition.

I can't think of any logical game design reason why olive/wheat should
violate this principle, so I'm willing to bet there was some sort of
screw-up in the printing of the cards and summary sheet.

Here is the distribution in the new version:
Rubies (8): 1/5
Scrolls (10): 1/4/8
Silk (12): 1/3/7
Salt (14): 1/3/6/10
Pottery (16): 1/3/6/9
Olives (18): 1/2/4/7/11
Wheat (20): 1/2/4/7/12

As you can see, it looks like the scoring chart for the olives and the
wheat should be switched. As with scrolls/silk, and salt/pottery,
you'd expect a better payout in a type that has fewer cards available.
It's hard to imagine this being intentional. I think it's a mistake.
Unfortunately, it's not an easy fix. All the olive and wheat cards,
as well as the five summary cards, would need to be reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it would be easier to change two of the wheat cards into olive cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just remove 3 wheat cards from the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Or just remove 3 wheat cards from the deck.

Wouldn't that change the "balance" somewhat? Ok..maybe just a little, but I don't want to change the game. I just want to fix what is "broken".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
Seems like it would be easier to change two of the wheat cards into olive cards.

This would definitely be the easiest way to go. Scan in the olive card and print two copies to adhesive labels, and then cover the face of two of the wheat cards with the stickers. I've just looked through the distribution of both wares, and the two extra wheat cards are:

Navigation Power: 5
Action Symbols: Pirate, Card
Freight Symboles: 2

Navigation Power: 5
Action Symbols: Pirate, Sail
Freight Symboles: 2

Identical cards are available in olive, so that would be easy enough to scan and cover. Now your scoring would be correct, but the quantity numbers on all the olive, wheat, and summary cards would be incorrect.

For those who are more anal (i.e., me), I'm going to scan in and create smaller stickers to place on all the wheat, olive, and summary cards which changes the incorrect score. Those less concerned with the appearance of the game could just write over the correct score in permanent marker on each card.

I'll make both available on the geek when they are done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
Germany
Malschenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's a misprint.
This will be corrected in next print of the game as Amigo told me.

Bye,
ema
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emaorny wrote:
Yes. It's a misprint.

Bye,
ema

Ema,

Thank you very much for responding. Now for two additional questions for you:

1) Do you have any idea when they will be doing the next printing?

2) When the next printing occurs, will they produce extra sets of correct cards that can either be gotten for free or for a small fee?

Thanks for the great game!

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emaorny wrote:
Yes. It's a misprint.

Bye,
ema

So what is the correct card count and/or cost chart values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
So what is the correct card count and/or cost chart values?

Since Ema didn't specifically mention it, I believe we got it right earlier in this thread. Simply switch the fifth column scoring for wheat and olives.

Current (incorrect)

Correct
Olives (18): 1/2/4/7/12
Wheat (20): 1/2/4/7/11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel this misprint detracts from the gameplay or overall quality of the game? Is it significant enough that I should wait for a later printing to purchase the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krompot wrote:
How do you feel this misprint detracts from the gameplay or overall quality of the game? Is it significant enough that I should wait for a later printing to purchase the game?

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really affect much at all. You can just tell everyone to switch the 11's and 12's. Or, if you're not anal about your game bits, you could write in the 1 and 2 with a permanent marker.

Of course, the real question is will there even be a next printing? The designer never bothered to respond to my question, earlier in this thread, regarding when the next printing will be, nor whether those of us with the first edition would be able to get replacement cards and summary sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
Germany
Malschenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon.
Amigo had already a new print for the german market. I don't know if Rio Grande already finished the first print and is going to do a new one already.
In any case what I know from the publisher is that there will be no changes in score for the further printing. But I had no way to be sure to this (I didn't see the new print out).
This is in the publisher right and so far I'm not anymore the publisher of the game but only the author...

In any case my reccomendation is to play with the printed value on the card, even if this means that it's a little bit better to score with the "18"'s wares instead of the "20"'s. It really doesn't affect the game and I dont' thing this should make the a player who adopt this strategy to win the game for **this** reason!

Bye,
ema
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emaorny wrote:
Hi Jon.
Amigo had already a new print for the german market. I don't know if Rio Grande already finished the first print and is going to do a new one already.
In any case what I know from the publisher is that there will be no changes in score for the further printing. But I had no way to be sure to this (I didn't see the new print out).
This is in the publisher right and so far I'm not anymore the publisher of the game but only the author...

Is there a followup to this? I just bought the game and I was wondering if I have the first or second print without breaking shink. Is there a way to tell? Furthermore, was this ever fixed?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doderlin
msg tools
Is the new reprint out now? Amigo or Rio Grande?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been informed that neither Amigo nor RGG have changed this "error" in any of their printings. It looks like it is here to stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bootylactin wrote:

Current (incorrect)

Correct
Olives (18): 1/2/4/7/12
Wheat (20): 1/2/4/7/11

Thanks for pointing out this misprint. See this picture:

I'm inclined to think that it won't make a significant enough impact on the game to be worth defacing the components to correct the error, but it is definitely a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.