Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is better to be late to the party than never, right? I am glad that I didn't miss this digging for treasure party and oh how I enjoyed my first 3 games of it! kiss

I got this game in a local trade that enabled me to dispose a game I will never play for this game. I've been eyeing this game for two months now and I am glad I did trade for it.

I've read almost every written reviews about this game on BGG. Tom Vasel's video review got me really excited about this game and I was so happy to bring it out for tonight's gaming session.

One of the strength of this game for me is that it is a perfect filler that is neither too long nor too short. My girlfriend and I do enjoy card fillers such as Lost Cities, Battle Line, and Jaipur. We played 3 games of Archaeology in about 70mins.

I started out the first game with only 4 sand storm cards even though we were only playing it with 2 players. It is because based on some of the written reviews that warned against the randomness dealing with too much sand storm card can mess up one's strategy to score big combos. So the first game went by pretty peacefully and I've won 70ish to 60ish. I actually think the act of reducing the sand storm cards is unnecessary. Without all 6 sand storm cards, I actually find the game a little lacking on the supposed "tension" on the flip of the card. Games such as Lost Cities, Jaipur, and Battle Line all give us plenty of tension on the flip. In my opinion, the sand storm card served this purpose well. It is also my humble opinion that, once getting used to the 6 sand storm cards, we really did plan our strategy around it. The rule that made sure that we can count the remaining thief and sand storm cards helped us plan for them a little bit more.

The only thing I would like to note is that the map card can make or break a game. My second game opens with one map card on the market and a map card in my hands. I immediately dug the most shallow 3-card pyramid and WHOA I got another map card from that pile. I used the other two cards (coin and parchment) from that pyramid to immediately trade for the map card on the market. On my next turn, I dug the 5-card pyramid to my girlfriend's dismay and scored a bunch of points. The end result was 130ish to 60ish. I won by a landslide.

The third game was actually the longest since we have learned the strategy of this game and have spent more time on analyzing our hands. Based on our performance, I think we both managed it well with the sand storms only swiping off parchments and pot shards. The game ended with the closet of all 3 games. I won 87-81.

The one thing I love the most about this game is actually the thief card! I loved how we both tried to read each other's facial expression trying to decipher what card to steal! We've quickly learned to put out our poker face, but sometimes it was so hard to hold it in and it ended up with several delightful laughters!

We all had a great time tonight and I asked her to compare the fun level of this game to my collection. My girlfriend said it was almost as fun as Jaipur. Upon hearing that I am very happy and will see this game hit the table a lot more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad that you two enjoyed the game. It's certainly an excellent filler game to kill the time. I always carry this when I travel due to it's portability.

So far, I have introduced this game to my family, every single gamer friends and non-gamer friends. Every single one of them enjoyed it immensely, and some even went ahead added the game in their buylist. I've once introduced this game to a friend who refuses to play any card/board game of any sort (it was tough to convince him!). He was so glad he tried the game and was very surprised that pure and simple card games can be fun.

So far, I've recorded 47 plays out of this game

However I'd like to point out one thing about your gameplay:

Quote:
My second game opens with one map card on the market and a map card in my hands. I immediately dug the most shallow 3-card pyramid and WHOA I got another map card from that pile.

It's impossible to start with special cards (map or sandstorm or thief) in your hand, in the market or inside the pyramid, in the beginning of the game. You're supposed to:
- remove thief, sandstorm and map cards during setup
- deal out 5 cards to the market
- deal out 4 cards to each player
- deal cards to the pyramid
- only then you shuffle back all the special cards into the deck to form the digging site
- play starts

Give it a try, it sure will improve the gameplay.

Oh, I think I prefer 6 sandstorms in a 2p game since your next turn will be just one turn away (after your opponent). It sure is frustrating if there's too many sandstorm in a 2p game. However in a 4p game, your next turn is 3 turns away hence why the designer uses all sandstorm cards, to increase the chances. Just my humble opinion.

Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opps, I didn't read the rules correctly!

As for the sand storm cards I thought we use 6 for 2 players, 5 for 3 players, and 4 for 4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Opps, I didn't read the rules correctly!

As for the sand storm cards I thought we use 6 for 2 players, 5 for 3 players, and 4 for 4 players?

You're right. I forgot the right amount for certain number of players. I usually consult the number stated on the sandstorm card rather than trying to remember it.

As for my original statement, it's completely wrong then (so please ignore; I'll fix my original post). What I was trying to say is that I like the amount set by the designer, that is 6 sandstorms in a 2p game. It's been a while since I last play the game

It can be frustrating sometime especially in a 2p game when sandstorms were dealt one after another. But since I don't like house rules, I always stick with the original rule.

Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.