Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just picked up the game and got all components punched and sorted. I of course have noticed the same problem many other users have posted about. The removeable tray that's provided to hold the map hex tiles is just a bit too small. I've read some of the recommendations on how to work around this problem. I tried pushing down the whole stack into the tray as opposed to one at a time, but this is still slightly dog-earing the corners of the bottom few tiles.

I've seen where some users have said they cut the corners of the tray itself, so as to let the corners of the tiles stick out. I'm not real sure how to properly do this without damaging the tray beyond repair. Can anyone explain how they did this, or better yet, post some pics here?

I'm open to any other suggestions as well. Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
The cuts I made would be very hard to see in a picture. Starting from each of the 6 bottom corners I made a small cut going straight up along the edge about 20 mm (3/4"). That was all it took for the hexes to fit perfectly. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar problem when I first got my copy. Here's what I did.

Take 3-4 hexes, and gently lower them into the tray, you should notice some space in the bottom (the space they won't quite fit into). Put the rest of the hexes on top. With all the hexes in the tray, 1-2 should sit above the lip.

Store/play with it for a while and the tiles will eventually settle into the tray on their own without forcing it or dog-earing your beautiful tiles.

EDIT

OK, just took a good look at my copy, and it appears there is some very minor dog-earing, but that may be from when I was trying to force it (before I started treating the tiles gingerly) so fair warning given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just throw the tray out and put the tiles in a baggie, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Or you could just throw the tray out and put the tiles in a baggie, right?

Technically, I wouldn't even need the baggies. The tiles fit fine in the insert in the space where the removeable tile tray goes. But I'd like to try to use the tray, since it was designed for the game, without damaging the tiles, or the tray.

I can't in good conscience throw out any part of a game that may not be needed or is not being used. This especially goes for inserts. I've got more than a few of these stacked in a closet and I don't even remember which games some of them came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The removable insert is needed for the game. You need to be able to take the stack, pass it to a player, have them rotate it around and look at the tile, and where it fits, all without revealing the back of the tile, or the ones under it (especially the next one down).

Baggies or a pile just won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cambrian Epoch
msg tools
ironJames wrote:
The cuts I made would be very hard to see in a picture. Starting from each of the 6 bottom corners I made a small cut going straight up along the edge about 20 mm (3/4"). That was all it took for the hexes to fit perfectly. Hope that helps.
Since no one else has yet to touch on this:

I had the same issue of the tiles not fitting and followed your instructions. This is a very easy and effective solution. Thank you for the advice.

PS I used a razorblade utility knife. It should be the best tool for this job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the tip . . .

any news on possible expansion?

actually, more tiles would be great

and, of course, more Progress and Character
cards would be great as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they fix this problem in later print runs? I got my copy last week and the hex tray is fine. There's about 3 mm clearance at each side of the hexes.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.