Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » Sessions

Subject: "And Now Begins My Magic Realm Weekend", a solo Elf session report. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report features the randomly selected Elf.

As in my previous games, I'm using my standard optional rules listed at the end. Specific to the Elf that I am NOT using is the choice between Light Elf and Great Elf. I see no need to limit the Elf in this fashion. Also specific to the Elf I'm using the AMBUSH rule.

For this game, I wanted to play the Elf mainly as a monster hunter with a little treasure hunting thrown in. I started at the Inn, putting 0 points into Great Treasures, 0 into Spells, 2 into Fame, 2 into Notoriety, and 1 into Gold. With the WATCHFUL NATIVES rule in use, gaining 40 Notoriety may be hard to come by and hopefully some treasure will help with that as well.

Starting spells was a bit of a toss up. I usually take Persuade and Protection from Magic in multicharacter games and that's what I stuck with for this game. Control Bats looked awfully tempting though.

-----------------------------------------------------

I started at the Inn on the bottom right corner of the map and immediatley went into the Ruins to find Bones C and Roar 6. Found the hidden path there waiting for the day to end and cast Protection from Magic that evening just in case. I'm not sure it would do me any good against any Curses or Power of the Pit rolls on the treasure tables but it didn't hurt to have it ready.

I travelled through the Bad Valley and made it into the High Pass on day 3 to find Dank C and Patter 5. Went back through the Bad Valley to climb onto the Cliff on day four to find Stink M and the Altar. Much better!

I found the Altar on the first attempt but was unable to loot anything. The Demon prowled over and I failed my ambush, forcing me to run away. Repeat the process on the next day.

On day 7 I killed the Demon for 8 Fame and Notoriety but had still failed to loot anything. I proceeded to loot the Eye of the Idol, Lucky Charm, and Regent of Jewels, all awesome treasures, although the Eye was medium weight so I would have to sell that off quick.

I returned to the Inn and sold the Eye of the Idol for 34 gold. Traded with the Rogues who had the Gloves of Strength and the Black Book, but I bought the L4/L5 workhorse for price x2 after buying drinks to make them friendly, spending -24 gold total. I now had an extra hide phase and an extra move phase every turn, in addition to the extra trade phase when with a native group.

I returned to the Cliff on my way to the far reaches of the Realm and encountered a Heavy Spider that I was able to snipe on round 1 for 3 Fame and Notoriety. I walked through the Nut Woods and Smoke W revealed the Small Campfire in the distance.

I made it to the Borderland on day 14 which had Dank C and the Lost City: Flutter 2, Howl 5, Pool 6, Hoard 6, and Slither 6. It looks like the Lost City was just full of lots of armored monsters that would be difficult to kill and some goblins with both treasure sites in clearing six guarded by my nemesis the Octopus. I had made it to clearing 2 where two Heavy Flying Dragons appeared and I was able to ambush one of them for 5 Fame and Notoriety before failing my hide roll and having to run away.

I returned to their clearing on the next day but the monster roll was a 3 and some axe goblins and the Octopus appeared in their respective clearings. I chose not to ambush the remaining HFD so I would have some options open on the following day.

On day 16 I made it to the House and sold them the Regent of Jewels for 67 gold and 10 Fame, making them Friendly. They had the Elusive Cloak and the Book of Lore that I didn't want. The same day I was able to climb up into the Mountain that had Bones M and Cairns 5. The Tremendous Spider appeared in my clearing and I was able to kill it on round two for 6 Fame and Notoriety.

After some searching and resting at the Cairns, I looted the Map of Lost City, Dragon Essence, and the Potion of Energy. The Dragon Essence acts like a Smoke chit but the dragons were all in the Borderland so I wouldn't have to worry about them showing up. During my searches two Giants showed up that I was unable to ambush succesfully.

On Day 21 the Demon regenerated and I was able to kill one of the Giants for 8 Fame and Notoriety but had to run from the other. Now at 2 VPs (not counting treasure), I went back to the Cairns and looted once more. I hoped to find the large treasure to help my gold score, cast persuade and hire the Giant to help me in the borderlands with all of the heavys and the octopus. I looted the Flowers of Rest which put a little crimp in my plans.

With the Flowers of Rest in my clearing, if I cast Persuade I would be put to sleep the following day before I could perform any Hire phases. By the time I went two clearings away and sold it to the Soldiers, returned and tried to hire, then there wouldn't be much time to kill stuff in the Borderland. I decided to just try to kill the giant but failed and ran away.

Giving up on the giant hiring, I sold some stuff to the Soldiers for 10 gold and returned alone to the Bordlerand to hopefully kill some monsters from ambush. No luck on the last few days and I ended running away from some Heavy Serpents.

The Elf Wins with 6 Victory Points. He ended with 1 Great Treasure (1), 40 Fame (-10 for treasure=30) (3), 30 Notoriety (+20 for treasure) (0), and 97 Gold (-16 for starting costs=81) (2).

I was actually ten short on Notoriety but the Dragon Essence helped cover that, the fame penalty not hurting too bad. I could have had two more VPs if I had sold the Lucky Charm to the Soldiers but wanted to keep it to hopefully kill some more monsters from hiding.

Even though it was a win for the Elf, I feel I could have done so much more with him.

-----------------------------------------------------

Optional rules selected were: Caching, Dropping and Losing Belongings, Ambush Rules, Serious Wounds, Grudges/Gratitude, Enhanced Artifacts and Spell Books, both for Wizard, Captain, Woods Girl, Magician, both for Druid, Persistent Chits, Birdsong Rearrangement, No Spell Limit, Decline Opportunity, No Mission/Visitor Flip, No Campaigns, Knights Adjustment, Watchful Natives, Extended Grudges, Benevolent Spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flowers of Rest is such an annoying treasure. The best I can usually do with it is abandon it somewhere that I can get too when I want quick healing and don't expect spell casting or combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.