Aaron McDonald
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Remnants has been on my geekdar for awhile now. I heard Tom Vasel mention it on his Dice Tower podcast months ago and it instantly sparked my interest.

The problem for me is when my interest gets sparked.. I tend to be disappointed when I finally get to crack open the box. I often find what I was so excited about playing turns out to be about as much fun as trying to bath our cat. .......Yeah, it's entertaining at first, a few laughs... then it turns into a rather painful experience. (I'm looking at you Merchants and Marauders).

Luckily City of Remnants is nothing like trying to get my feline nemesis squeaky clean. It is, in fact, a true joy to play.

The theme for this game is great. Rival gangs captive in an alien city of Gatorum. Struggling to be top dog whilst under a constant threat of the Yugai police force (slave driving alien nasties).

The object of the game is simple. Be the gang leader most renown in this dump of a city. The ways to do this are many, but they all entail some shady dealings.
Earn ARC's (the games currency) by setting up black market operations, use that dirty money to recruit new members, use those members to wipe out rival goons. This game just oozes cool.

City of Remnants has a host of game mechanics that fit together in a smooth and seamless way. Each round players have four actions in which to try and best utilize whats available to them.
Auctions are held to recruit new members, which are represented by sweet plastic minis and cards. These cards are then added to your deck incorporating the tried and true deck building mechanic.

Dodgy operations can be built (differing every game) which produce goods to sell. As well as ARC's these also generate "Renown" points which are required to win the game.
This nice tight area control element encourages conflict but never forces it (except when those dirty Yugai show up!)
Gang member special abilities, black market items, and fantastic combat incorporating card play and dice make this game a must to check out.

Never do the mechanics feel tacked on. They all serve the theme perfectly whilst feeling quite natural
(after muddling through the first round of play whilst learning!).

Not all is cool and groovy with this love child of the movie District 9 and tv show Sons of Anarchy.
The components are of fine quality, but some of the artwork really is a bit meh.
The board is basic and rather underwhelming. It is however is very functional once you get playing. The card stock is a little thin and the box art....well.... take a look at the picture here on BGG....yuckbos!
The little mini's are awesome though!

Don't let those very minor negatives deter you from checking this fantastic game out. It's a medium complexity jaunt, played with 3 players in about 2 hours (have not tried 2 or 4 players yet) and just damn fun. Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: City of Remnants...If "Sons of Anarchy" and "District 9" had a love child
thumbsup Extra thumb for the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup me too on the title. Good review as well. Thanks for taking the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron McDonald
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
It really is a great game that just gets better and better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron McDonald
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its nearly been a year since I posted this review and I can say thats this game still reall holds up. I have played many times now with 3 and 4 players and it's a blast. I do slightly prefer 4 players as 3 players can sometimes lead to two players duking it out whilst the third just plods away then takes the win.

My game group consists of one newbie gamer, one Magic player and a couple of middle weight gamers (I'm by far the main game guy) and they all really enjoy this. The newbie was a bit lost for the first quarter of the first game he played, but once it "clicked" for him he was hooked.

If you haven't playd this yet GET IT! Sadly I don't think it sold super well for Plaid Hat Games so best pick it up while you can still find it. It really is a gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.