Subject: Additional Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We might have been playing this wrong for several games. If an attack has "Additional Effects" (typically added with a sufficient d12 roll) do the additional effects happen even if the attack didn't successfully damage the target? We've been playing it as 0 damage precludes further effects, but last night I couldn't find this in the rule book or in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good question. I feel this is not clearly stated in the rules either. It does not out right say "You ALWAYS roll the d12 every time you attack." And I wish it did.

But after reading the book several times it seemed to me that the d12 is still part of the attack. So if you get to roll your attack, you get to add the d12. It doesn't matter if you botch the attack roll etc.

If your opponent completely dodges the attack through a defense, then the d12 is not rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
It does not out right say "You ALWAYS roll the d12 every time you attack." And I wish it did.

I don't know how much more clear it can be than this:
Rules wrote:
Roll a number of dice equal to
the final, modified attack value. If the attack has any possible
additional effects listed in the attack bar (always shown as
an additional effect box with a d12 icon), also roll the effect
die at the same time, and add or subtract any modifiers to
that roll.

Why would you roll the die at the same time if you were really only allowed to roll it on condition of first hitting? The rules don't say anything about requiring a hit in order for additional effects, so the requirement doesn't exist. Why would it be logically or thematically odd to do no immediate damage, but cause something to burn, be stunned, be dazed, sleep, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you dodge the attack using a Defense, there is no d12 roll.

If you roll all blanks on the attack dice, you still roll the d12.

This is because, say if a Fireball was cast at a knight, the armor might absorb the damage. However, the magical fire could still stick the armor like a malatov cocktail and continue to burn. The same goes for a Stun effect. The armor absorbs the damage, but the impact of the spell can still cause a Daze or Stun effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturnineage wrote:
If you roll all blanks on the attack dice, you still roll the d12.

You simply roll the d12 with the attack dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!

FWIW, I like the fact that the specials happen anyway, thematically and mechanically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chang
msg tools
Damage and effects are two completely separate things. You can suffer from one but not the other just fine.

You may eat a fireball to the shoulder and emerge unhurt as it turns out it only hit your shoulderpad... only to suddenly realize that the fire is spreading all over your clothing. (2 Burn!)

On a similar vein, you could be attacked by a zombie, think that "it was just a scratch", and then turn into a zombie a few hours later (Rot!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.