Subject: How unpredictable is the Darkness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the beginning of the extended gameplay videos the players got lucky twice because the darkness spawning conditions for captains was exactly what they needed it to be twice. One with too many minions being on the board and one where there wasn't enough.

I haven't played the game of course, but it seems a bit too random. In cooperative games I've played you usually know what you should aim for and do. Here it almost seems like even if you succeed you could get "punished" for it.

So yeah, this isn't really as much a "This game is too random!" comment as it is a "Please explain to me why I'm wrong, because I really want to be. The game looks so awesome!!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
Hvazadi wrote:
it seems a bit too random.

This basic argument has come up multiple times, in various different flavors.

Myth is not...I repeat NOT about predictability. You can see this from the random nature of the card drawing with both the boss deck as well as the hero action decks. This creates variable gameplay. This is one of the marketable features of this game.

If you are looking for a game where you always know what to expect, there are plenty of other options out there. If you find the variable, unpredictable nature of Myth is exciting...then go for it.

Hvazadi wrote:
In cooperative games I've played you usually know what you should aim for and do

This is no different in Myth. You are given your goals. The exciting thing, however, is that the journey taken to accomplish that goal is less predictable than comparable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
Hvazadi wrote:
it seems a bit too random.

This basic argument has come up multiple times, in various different flavors.

Myth is not...I repeat NOT about predictability. You can see this from the random nature of the card drawing with both the boss deck as well as the hero action decks. This creates variable gameplay. This is one of the marketable features of this game.

If you are looking for a game where you always know what to expect, there are plenty of other options out there. If you find the variable, unpredictable nature of Myth is exciting...then go for it.

Hvazadi wrote:
In cooperative games I've played you usually know what you should aim for and do

This is no different in Myth. You are given your goals. The exciting thing, however, is that the journey taken to accomplish that goal is less predictable than comparable games.

Agreed. It solves the "puzzle" problem of co-ops. Where if the players are experienced and familiar with the game, they can pretty much figure out how to beat it on the first turn. The rest is just going through the motion.

Personally, I like the unpredictable nature of the game. It keeps you on edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
msg tools
mbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
In the beginning of the extended gameplay videos the players got lucky twice because the darkness spawning conditions for captains was exactly what they needed it to be twice. One with too many minions being on the board and one where there wasn't enough.

Actually it is possible to say that they got unlucky. By not getting those captains they lost out on treasure that could have benefited them later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.